Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-13-2024, 06:58 PM

Default Fly fishing start up

So, we have our boat and enjoy trolling and casting on the small lakes. That’s fun for our weekends and days off for my wife and I.
Now living in Calgary and real close to the bow I’d like to start fly fishing. Especially after my wife got me a float the bow fly fishing day.
My question is, what do I really need to just fish the bow. I’m not interested in fishing all types of fish or going into the mountains for elusive fish. I just want to do the bow when my wife is working and I’m off.
Do I just buy a fly fishing for beginners starter pack or is there a generic rod and accessories I need.
Kinda vague, I’m sorry, just dipping my toes in.

Tullfan
Old 01-14-2024, 08:43 AM

Something like the Orvis encounter combo set up in 6wt should be fine. Redington and TFO also have combos like that too. Comes with rod, reel. backing, fly line and leader already. Although I would swap out the leader. As for flies bow river troutfitters in Calgary has a fly assortment pack with flies picked for the bow river. Then just grab some tippet, nips, and forceps and should be good to go!
Old 01-14-2024, 08:48 AM

Default Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFalcon View Post
Something like the Orvis encounter combo set up in 6wt should be fine. Redington and TFO also have combos like that too. Comes with rod, reel. backing, fly line and leader already. Although I would swap out the leader. As for flies bow river troutfitters in Calgary has a fly assortment pack with flies picked for the bow river. Then just grab some tippet, nips, and forceps and should be good to go!
And a landing net.
Old 01-14-2024, 09:19 AM

X2 what they said...they will be a balanced great intial set up...spend your $$$ now on waders ... spend the rest of your $$$ once you catch the bug/fever and this initial set will become your back up or loaner
Old 01-14-2024, 09:47 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
And a landing net.
And not one of those ones that store easy and are compact floppy things....as witnessed this year at the Bow the current kept collapsing the net sides turning a normal net job a gong show on a beauty trout....I had a good laugh watching from a distance....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-14-2024, 02:10 PM

9’ 6wt combo kit within your budget and a floating line is a great starting place for fishing the bow river, a net like other mentioned and a small amount of nymphs and streamers. build up your flybox over time when you develop a relationship and understanding of the river with a good flyshop. a few spools of tippet in 2/3/4x will do you for 99% of what’s available also. if you have a guided float booked you will get plenty of into and can go further from there in terms of what you should/could get but you don’t need to over complicate it
Old 01-14-2024, 03:19 PM

Thank you gentlemen. Will get the ball rolling when the weather is nicer. I kind of envy the guys I see in the water fishing when I drive by. I want that to be me. Lol.

Tullfan
Old 04-19-2024, 01:35 PM

I'd say go with buy once cry once, get good quality gear will make the experience better, nothing worse then fighting with your gear, not being able to cast because the rod is low quality, line is all in a birds nest, nice thing about good quality gear is, if for any reason you want get out of the sport or it just isn't for you, the resale on good gear is well good, should be able to break even, or even trade for gear you will use, ie spin casting gear. a good vest or lumbar/fanny pack is great also, and can be used for other activities, waders are nice to have, if you like standing in hip deep water ( I like useing a sit on top kayak and fly fishing lakes ) match your gear to the fish your going after, a nice 6 or 7 wt rod 7wt gets you into pike territory ( I use a 8/9 wt but I only fish for pike ) iron bow fishing shop is helpful in giving info and setting you up. Just don't cheap out on the rod, can go little cheaper on the reel and up grade that later, get good line ether floating or sinking, sinking tip, floating is good place to start, I just use regular old mono line as my leader, again good stuff not dollar store stuff unless like birds nests, and get good tipet line. if useing float line match your Flys to it and get some floating spray for your Flys. oh and give your fly line a clean every now and then. If you start going for pike that's a different sort game, heavy wt rods n line and metal tipets but very addictive. I was hooked after my first pike and now that's all I target, still now and then a aggressive trout will smack my big ol pike Flys, always a surprise when that happens. I tend to ramble on and on so I'll stop now.