Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post
thats interesting walleye, because i usualy don't for deer, i use the game hauler, and just gut them instead, but i'm seriously thinking about it now! I alway used it on the elk or moose , just because i couldn't physically do it any other way by myself.

a guy might go gutless and deboned in the moutains or a long way from the closest road if no quad access, but i usually leave the bones in to make hanging easier !
I was thinking of it for deer do to the fact a guy can down them in some pretty nasty holes as I'm sure you know. We downed one a couple seasons ago in the bottom of a huge coulee about 2 miles from the trucks and even with the aid of the game cart that was one tough haul out of there. The deboned gutless method would of been a lot easier. As far as moose hunts go for us those are all quad trips We are quite well equiped to handle the full quaters no problem there.

Sheep,, I definetly am not up on this method. I beleive I am mixing it in with deboning the animal as well. This is where I am getting the part about hanging it in bags..
Old 02-01-2011, 06:11 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Sheep,, I definetly am not up on this method. I beleive I am mixing it in with deboning the animal as well. This is where I am getting the part about hanging it in bags..
You can debone the legs after pulling them off but unless I'm doing some serious packing, I rarely do. Gutless and deboning are two VERY seperate things.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
I definetly am not up on this method. I beleive I am mixing it in with deboning the animal as well. This is where I am getting the part about hanging it in bags..
When I've done moose I end up with:

4 legs with the bottom parts sawed off;
1 head which stays in the bush with the antlers removed; and,
1 bag of meat (neck, loins, hips, chuck, ribs and anything else that I can cut off)

I hang the 4 legs. I don't hang/age the loose meat due to it drying and wasting too much meat to trim. The loins are cut into steaks, I cut as much as I can into stew meat and the rest is for sausage.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Gone Hunting

Walleyes you are definitely confusing boning out the carcass with the gutless method. There are no small pieces or bags of pieces to hang.

Hang the quarters, Steak the backstraps. Process the little bit of trim into ground meat and deal with the tenderloins. Done.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand