Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-28-2011, 04:26 PM

Default Alberta Hunting Access Experience Survey- F&W

Alberta F&W is surveying hunters regarding their experiences accessing public and private land.

http://app.fluidsurveys.com/s/huntingaccessexperience/

Quote:
Welcome to the Alberta Hunting Access Experience Survey
Sustainable Resource Development's Fish and Wildlife Division is conducting a survey of hunters for information about their public and private land Hunting Access Experiences in Alberta. The purpose of this survey is to gather hunter feedback to assist the department with the development of recommendations which will improve public hunting opportunities and hunting access concerns.

You are being contacted because you were selected and have an email address registered with our Department’s Recreational Licensing Management System (RELM).

The success of this initiative depends upon your assistance. Although this survey takes about ~20 minutes to complete, your input is very important, and we ask that you please respond before February 15, 2011.

Your participation in the study is, of course, voluntary. Your decision to complete the questionnaire will be interpreted as your consent to participate in it. You are not required to answer any question. SRD is committed to maintaining the confidentiality of your responses. Our research is governed by strict ethical guidelines enforced by the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIP) and the University of Calgary.

This information is collected pursuant to section 33(c) of the FOIP Act. This study has been approved by the Conjoint Faculties Research Ethics Board at the University of Calgary. All data will be reported as an aggregate and therefore all respondents will remain anonymous. All data collected from this survey will be stored on secure electronic servers and will be archived indefinitely.

The results of this survey will be available on in the summer of 2011 on the www.mywildalberta.com website.

Should you wish to make a comment regarding this survey, please contact Fish and Wildlife @ (403) 388-7777 or info@abacusdata.ca

Can anyone access this survey from the link?
The survey doesn't seem to be tied to an email source. Looks like anyone could submit the survey as often as desired.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:41 PM

Yep, I'd say so.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:44 PM

Took me over 20 minutes to complete, so I don't think too many people are going to submit it more than once.

What the hell is with the last question??? 2nd last question is do you own more than 100 acres of land. Then the last question is "Why not?"

What? What kind of question is that? I got to the end and then felt like it was a joke or something. I am pretty PO'd actually. Who designed this thing? I asked if Cormack Gates had. What a fricken ignorant question.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:33 PM

Filled mine out, looks like I could again as well. Sure looks like someones trying to drum up some more support for RAMP.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:54 PM

"What improvements could you suggest for the RAMP program?"

Cancel it!
Old 01-28-2011, 05:59 PM

[QUOTE=Pudelpointer;816451]
What the hell is with the last question??? 2nd last question is do you own more than 100 acres of land. Then the last question is "Why not?"

Just put can't afford it!!!
Old 01-28-2011, 06:55 PM

You dont have to answer it if you dont want to. Just click next.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:56 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=ram crazy;816511]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Same here...
Old 01-28-2011, 06:56 PM

[QUOTE=ram crazy;816511]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post

2X
I said that was a dumb question, it also asked if you were a farmer.

Why would that make a difference?
Old 01-28-2011, 06:57 PM

Pretty biased survey. In one question it asked you "How would you rate your overall experience on private land?"

I answered "Excellent". The next question directs you to the 'reasons' for your last question, and they are ALL negative answers. I checked 'other' and added some good comments...lol

My answer to the last question was poetic. And of course I put 'Cancel it' when asked about RAMP.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:59 PM

This survey is severley flawed. Unlike the hunter harvest survey which is only available to those who hunted, this survey is available for anyone to fill out.

Without the control to limit participants to those who are licenced to hunt in Alberta , the survey results are incapable of being proven valid. F&W should and throw this survey out, start fresh with a new survey that is Wildlife Certificate and WIN# linked.

I'm glad there are plenty of places in the survey to make this comment.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:51 AM

It was certainly geared to big game hunting. Really nothing much related to waterfowl or upland except asking if you did it or not. Nothing much to tie down other reasons for access problems that I have had, as it seemed to be related to mostly leases.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:32 AM
sheephunter

The questions I found very hard to answer were those relating to the percentage of time you spent hunting certain species, areas and methods. The answers to those questions would vary wildly from year to year depending on your draw results. Not sure how you can lump draw and non-draw species into the same pile. I was shocked how lengthy the survey was but found much of it very difficult to answer just because there was no distinction beteween draw and general opportunities.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:25 AM

Very leading you don't get to answer the RAMP questions unless you say you know something about it.

I see they've changed the last question as it doesn't have the "why not" part but if you answer yes to owning land they ask if you allow hunting.

Things that upset me are questions like Do you Oppose landowner compensation for improving habitat. Without a context this question is meaningless. Considering the track record of these guys on this topic I can only assume it will be used to bolster there arguement.

I'm with WB get rid of this, if access issues are being looked at then get a decent survey that can actually be used in a productive manner, not biased toward a preconcieved end.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:28 AM
sheephunter

Ya, I agree that context was missing and many of the questions, like landowners receiving financial incentives for habitat retention, I could agree with but only with caveats. At least I got to offer three suggestions for improving RAMP.......
Old 01-31-2011, 11:32 AM

For ME, the big plus was to actually go look at the recreation land use page and map that they mention in the survey. WOW! FINALLY something useful. Alberta map you can zoom in on, all lease land identified, click on a section and see land details, Lessee details, contact info, access rules for that land. Great!

http://xnet.env.gov.ab.ca/imf/imf.jsp?site=rec_access