Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-14-2007, 09:42 PM

Default Partridge Opener!

Just wondering who else is headin out tomorrow for the partridge opener. I know iam, i got the shotty all cleaned and ready to go, got the the fanny pack all loaded up with shells and........more shells. Im just hoping its gunna be a better opening day then it was last year. Only got 3 last year really disappointing.

AKA MAVERICK
Old 09-14-2007, 10:21 PM
Gone Hunting

I hear there are lots of Hungarian Partridge around this year so you should get some, I recogn.

Robin in Rocky
Old 09-14-2007, 10:36 PM

Im ready to go. Guns, Shells, Vest, and collars are in the truck and the dogs have been given a good meal and are resting right now.

I see they raised our limit to 6 now.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:40 PM

Yah i noticed that, hey that just means more leftovers

AKA MAVERICK
Old 09-14-2007, 10:45 PM

Have fun guys - just leave a few for me on Monday...

-and thanks for the tips Russ...

Cheers.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:47 PM

Good luck with the opener. I will be going after them in between bowhunts for elk next week. I only made it out once last year. I took a buddy's little brother out. We had our limits in 2 hours. It makes it that much better when you see the excitement of a younger hunter. I can think of no funner bird to hunt. I love the rush when they flush right beside your feet and scare the crap out of you.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:26 AM

I was bowhunting for antelope in 118; there was partridge everywhere;kept flying up when I was stalking herds with the decoy; landowners said they have never seen so many. Go get ém!!!!
Old 09-15-2007, 11:08 AM

Got 5 of my six this morning. Wow theres lots of birds out there. Unfortunatley my shotgunning skills seem to have gathered some dust in the past 10 monthes
Old 09-15-2007, 11:18 AM

I couldnt find one just geese and ducks.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:05 PM

6 good finds and a few wild flush. I only shot 3 chicks due to the fact most of the birds were very small so I let most of them go. The pup did fairly well steady to flush and easy to call off after the shot so all in all it was a good day

cohod
Old 09-15-2007, 02:40 PM

I had a few good flush's seen about 20 birds all within 5 feet of me, they were holding really tight today, but do you think i could hit one..HA i couldnt hit a broadside of a barn today Oh well only opening day still got the whole season to make up for it. Oh and i seen a small bull moose.

Only thing i did get was a few good pics.

AKA MAVERICK
Old 09-16-2007, 10:05 AM

I didn't make it out till the evening. My 2 year old was the most eager to head out. There sure are a ton of birds this year!!

Old 09-16-2007, 10:39 AM

Well its good to see you got some birds, showed the youngn's a good time and gave the dogs some good exercise, definitely can call that a successful hunt.

AKA MAVERICK
Old 09-16-2007, 01:11 PM

Wow dev that boy of yours sure has grown the last time I seen him. Minnie is alot whiter than I remember. Did you head south of town? I went out to the Buck For Wildlife and then the Grazing lease east of town in the late morning and only found some pheasants. I only did the south 1/3 of the lease though the setter was starting to overheat.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:46 PM

Glad to see a few people got out. Forgot to take camera with me but here are the pictures from the Saturday hunt. 29 huns 4 mallards (1 drake) and great weather. There were 5 of us and 3 dogs so we were 1 short from limit but who cares when you have that good of a day. Heading out Saturday for some bow hunting but will keep the gun near by. Can't thank my hunting partners enough for the great day as I have never hunted huns with dogs and man does it make a difference when trying to find them in thick cover after they have been shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hun opener '07.jpg (100.4 KB, 60 views)
Old 09-17-2007, 05:10 PM

Nice going MM.

Ryan, Minnie Is sure starting to show her age and I know I won't be hunting her a full day anymore. Blitz on the other hand is still full of **** and vinegar!!
I need to look at starting another dog in the next year or 2. Also I was east of town, but I don't think it matters this year. There are bird everywhere!!
Old 09-17-2007, 05:33 PM

I flushed one covey on the way to do some fishing. 3 shots, 3 birds. I guess the ancient 870 still works. I'll be taking the dog out for her first hunt with me next Saturday.
How was the size of the young birds you all harvested?
Old 09-17-2007, 05:36 PM

Young birds were very small. Was actually out helping farm a few weeks ago and scared up a flock of little ones with the mother. The little ones could not fly more than 25 yards. Seems that there must have been a second hatch this year and really late.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:05 AM

Blitz always was full of **** and Vinegar. I remeber you shaking your head and swearing everytime we heard that beeper beacuse we were limited out but he kept on going. He didnt care he just wanted to hunt.

Have you been out to the sane hills yet? I think I am going to head out in the morning with the hound and check around.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:02 PM

haven't been out yet, but my farmers who let me hunt their land in 132 said there are lots of birds this year! Is that your experience so far? Last year was pathetic for me.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:10 PM

I was out today around Vulcan and a landowner I was speaking with said there are lots this year - need to avoid hitting them while driving... but I couldn't find any on his land... Might say more about me then anything though - today was the first day ever going after huns.

Saw a bunch around Arrowwood though. Couldn't figure out whose land was whose though to get permission. Oh well... Next week maybe.

BTW - anyone know if you are allowed to hunt the land along abandoned train tracks? I asked one lady about some running behind her land and she said they weren't anyones. Just curious.