Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-04-2010, 12:57 PM

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I was a little nervous this year with the online tags, something about how easy it is just didn't seem right.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:30 PM

Note also that once you've used the system F & W will send tags in the draw booklet, assuming of course that you've entered for draws. At least they sent me 4 tags. Wires still have to be picked up at an F & W office, or save unused ones from last year.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Did you actually take a look for this info? I quick search and I found it in two places
Page 9 of the 2010 Draw booklet and Page 14 of the 2010 Hunting Regulations is all about the buying licenses and tags at Alberta RELM.

“If you purchase a licence online that requires a tag(s) you must use an
online paper tag available at your local Fish and Wildlife office free of
charge. The online paper tags contain a unique 10 digit tag number. You
are required to enter it when making your purchase.”

If you pick up a bunch of blank tags on your first visit then you don't have to go back. No reason you can't do one stop shopping online and get it all there.

Yes Rocky.
In fact both my wife and I read every line of the licensing pages numbers 20 through 27. Neither of us found any mention of this on those pages.
I did go over the page you mentioned before but since over half of it is an ad and the last half did not seem to deal with anything pertaining to licensing, seasons, WMU, changes, or prohibitions, I simply skimmed over it and did not realize it provided information I would need later.
At that point purchasing licenses online had not even occurred to me.

Since you pointed out that this page does explain the process, I went back and found that you are indeed correct.
So I'm not very internet savy and my memory isn't photographic. Does that mean I should forget about government services.

As for the other reference to this explanation. I have never been interested in the draw system and see no reason to check that booklet. So that wouldn't do me any good.
And BTW my wife and I both checked the RELM site to the best of our ability. We could find no mention of this there.

All I'm saying is that in this time of idiot proofing everything, the least our government could do is make this information readily available to average folks like me.
Or is the argument that I am lower then average and therefore do not matter?

Now, I understand what you say about picking up several tags for later use.
That makes sense. It would offer me no advantage as I still have to visit F&W every year to purchase a migratory bird permit. But I can see where it would be handy for those who don't hunt migratory birds.

I do think however, that it would make certain abuses very easy.
For instance, several years ago I encountered a fellow who told me that he would buy a game bird license and then hunt for whatever came his way. Only after he managed to bag an animal would he buy tags and licenses.
Or so he claimed.
I thought he was just trying to impress me with how clever he was. But since then I have had other people tell me that they know individuals that do this. I don't know if any of it is true but it seems possible to me.
If it really does happen, this system would make it a whole lot easier and greatly reduce the chances of such behavior being discovered. Let's hope that it wasn't true.

Jim
Old 10-04-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
BTW my wife and I both checked the RELM site to the best of our ability. We could find no mention of this there.
I agree there should be a FAQ section or at least some mention of it online.
Might be worth dropping Alberta RELM a email.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 10-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Gone Hunting

I sent that suggestion to RELM hours ago. And I suspect a lot of other people have as well. Lets hope it leads to a few changes.

To tell you the truth, this whole thing is giving me a headache, for real.
Now someone claims that they emailed SRD requesting tags and was sent what they asked for. To find out if this was indeed possible I did a BUNCH of research.

I found no mention of this anywhere.
I tried every word combination pertaining to this, on google and altavista to no avail.
Next I downloaded the pdf copy of the regs pamphlet so I could search it using the search function. Again I found no mention of any alternative other then going in person to F&W.
I then searched the SRD site and found no mention at all on how to obtain tags other then those mailed out to draw winners. I looked everywhere I could think of on the RELM site, they have no search function that I could find. Again I found NO mention whatever of how to obtain any tags of any sort.

So am I missing something or is this, information that only a few receive?
Old 10-11-2010, 02:06 PM

can someone give me all the places where you can get online tags?
i cant seem to find any out there...
thanks
Old 10-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Gone Hunting

I don't know all the places.
I do know that they can be picked up at any F&W office.

You can also email SRD and they will mail some to you. I don't know if mailing them is policy or just a courtisy, I could find no mention of it online or in the regs. But I emailed them and they assured me that they would mail me some tags. That was late last week, they should arrive around Wednesday.

Email SRD at SRD.InfoCent@gov.ab.ca
Old 05-27-2011, 11:02 AM
Banned

Location: FTR Road in the summer (flyfishin), The bush in autum (huntin) the hills in winter (shreddin the pow

I am very confused. Can i still by tags at canadian tire and wholesale sports? or can we only get them online now?
Old 05-27-2011, 11:19 AM

Just so everyone know - the orange tags are no longer valid. You need yellow ones. Someone should update this sticky with a new image.

I also had F&W mail 50 online tags to me ... quick and at no cost. Quite painless.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:22 AM

Ok this is my first season in Alberta so I'm a little confused about one thing said in the original post. It was said that you can use the online yellow tags next year if you do not harvist the animal for the tag, but if you have an pronged tag this dose not work. Well I just went and purchased my 3 white tail tags atbmy local tag distributer and they are yellow as well. Does this mean I can use these tags next year as well if I do not get all 3 of my deer? Even tho I did not buy them on line?
Old 11-28-2011, 04:02 PM

personally like actually going to a store and buying the tag, less confusion, and less chance for misunderstandings and mistakes, (thats what i think anyway) if they go all online i hop ethey still have them in stores at least,
Old 11-28-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger985 View Post
Ok this is my first season in Alberta so I'm a little confused about one thing said in the original post. It was said that you can use the online yellow tags next year if you do not harvist the animal for the tag, but if you have an pronged tag this dose not work. Well I just went and purchased my 3 white tail tags atbmy local tag distributer and they are yellow as well. Does this mean I can use these tags next year as well if I do not get all 3 of my deer? Even tho I did not buy them on line?
Purchased tags for this year are NOT valid next year. Only the online tags that were not purchased with nothing written on them are good next year.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
Just so everyone know - the orange tags are no longer valid. You need yellow ones. Someone should update this sticky with a new image.

I also had F&W mail 50 online tags to me ... quick and at no cost. Quite painless.
Just hope they don't change the colour every year!

LC
Old 11-28-2011, 06:27 PM

here is this years tag colour
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tag 2011.jpg (7.5 KB, 41 views)
Old 11-28-2011, 08:14 PM
Gone Hunting

I used last years orange tags this year. With no problems.
F&W told me that blank tags are good until I use them to buy a license. Then they are only good to the end of the appropriate season for that license.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:51 AM

wildlife office and do it from home
Old 08-07-2012, 03:11 PM

anyone can buy these tags? you don't have to be drawn?
Old 10-07-2012, 05:51 PM

is there anywhere i can get tag paper online for this year?
Old 10-07-2012, 05:55 PM

Check any stores that had the draw application books. They come with 4 tags, or call F&W and pick up from them on ask where you can get em in your area
Old 10-07-2012, 07:07 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Is there anywhere online for them? I waited too long and am hunting tomorrow. Rookie mistake I know.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:30 PM

So, if I buy a license online do I HAVE to buy online tags?

or can I buy the license online and then buy tags at a vendor?

is it one way or the other? or can you combine an online license with a store bought tag?
Old 10-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembo View Post
So, if I buy a license online do I HAVE to buy online tags?

or can I buy the license online and then buy tags at a vendor?

is it one way or the other? or can you combine an online license with a store bought tag?
Online tags are free and different from those purchased at a private licence vendor. An online licence cannot be used with a vendor tag, or vice versa. Online tags are specific to the online system and can be picked up for free from any Fish & Wildlife office or at my office in the West End of Edmonton (#100, 10642-178 Street).
Old 10-11-2012, 05:25 PM

I've previously only bought tags at Canadian Tire or a sports store, but the licence system is down so I have been unable to for the last week!
Can anyone tell me how to buy an actual tag off the RELM website? I see where they have "licences available" https://www.albertarelm.com/wc.user....?_m=displayGET
but not where to actually purchase these licences. Thanks!

- since figured out it was because I hadn't purchased the wildlife certificate in my cart yet. Doh!

Last edited by s_mack; 10-11-2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Error
Old 10-22-2012, 08:58 AM

I haven't gone out yet this year ... but I did an undersubscribed Mulie and got it - can't I just go into the IGA and say I need my tag? My roommate did this for his regular draws and all was fine.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:52 AM

Thanks for the info Rob. I made good use of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miskosky View Post
Thought I would shed some light on the "online" licence purchasing and tagging system now in effect.

First off, if you are going to purchase a licence online you will need a valid credit card, an email address, access to a computer with an internet connection, and a printer to print your licences. All of your online purchases will be made at www.albertarelm.com So make sure you register and have an account set up.

If you purchase a licence online that requires a tag(s), you must use an online paper tag. This is a paper tag identical to the one you currently get when you purchase your licence at a licence issuer (it should be noted that you can still purchase a licence and receive a tag at a licence issuer if you wish - you do not have to purchase online if you don't want to).

Below is what the online tag looks like. If you applied in the draws, these tags (4) will be inserted into your draw booklet that you will receive in the mail, but only if you applied in the draws in the past. (It should be noted that 2011 is the last year that your draw book and tags will be mailed to you).

You can also pick up an online tag(s) at any Fish and Wildlife District office free of charge, or at any of the following locations:

In Edmonton:
Alberta Professional Outfitters Society
#103, 6030-88 Street Edmonton, AB
780-414-0249

Alberta Hunter Education
#88, 4003-98 Street Edmonton, AB
780-466-6682

Alberta Fish and Game Association
6924-104 Street Edmonton, AB
780-437-2342

Information Centre Main Floor
9920-108 Street Edmonton, AB
780-422-2079

Sports Scene Publications
#100, 10642-178 Street Edmonton, AB
780-413-0331

In Sherwood Park:
Alberta Conservation Association
101-9 Chippewa Road Sherwood Park, AB
780-410-1999

In Calgary:
Alberta Hunter Education
911 Sylvester Cr. SW Calgary, AB
403-252-8474

You will need the online tag before you can purchase a licence at www.albertarelm.com.

The online paper tag(s) contain a unique 10 digit tag number. You are required to enter it when making your purchase at www.albertarelm.com.

Print your licence once your purchase is complete. You do not need to wait for a licence to be mailed to you or go to another location to pick it up. If you lose your online licence, you can reprint the licence online at no cost.

Now all you have to do to activate your tag is fill in the blanks on the tag - Species, your WIN and your Name. Your licence (printed from www.albertarelm.com) will reflect the tag number you entered when you purchased your licence(s). This is why you need your online tag before making a licence purchase. Make sure the information you enter on your tag reflects the licence you purchased e.g; white-tailed deer, moose, elk etc.

If you are successful in harvesting an animal you purchased a licence for, then just apply your tag to the animal the same way you did in the past - with a wire. If you don't have a wire you can use just about anything as long as the tag is secured to the animal as stated in the hunting regulations under "Tagging".

If you have extra online tags do not throw them away, they can be used next year.

All orange tags are no longer valid - only the "new" yellow tags can be used from this season (2011) forward.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:58 AM

is it going to be "online" only? i hope not, i much prefer going to a store like wholesale sports to get my tags.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:10 PM

had a hard time keeping dam thing on my bull moose last year. Wasn't even that cold out, mabye 12 below. Thank god for duckt tape lol
Old 11-12-2013, 10:50 PM

Ok could someone please lay out what exactly is needed if I wanted to go hunt a white tail deer? Based on this post it sounds like I need tags & a license on top of my WIN and Wildlife Certificate. Several hunters I have spoken with in person have said that I just need my WIN, Wildlife Certificate and Tags and I'm good to go... what exactly is correct?
Old 11-19-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatFink View Post
Ok could someone please lay out what exactly is needed if I wanted to go hunt a white tail deer? Based on this post it sounds like I need tags & a license on top of my WIN and Wildlife Certificate. Several hunters I have spoken with in person have said that I just need my WIN, Wildlife Certificate and Tags and I'm good to go... what exactly is correct?
When you buy a tag you get a paper license at the same time. It seems kind of redundant but I guess its like a receipt of sorts. Then you need your WIN and WC and you're good to go.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:02 PM

I got some of those online tags with my reg book last year which was great. Didn't get any this year though...