Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
No excuses when you are looking down the barrel of a rifle
that should have ended the thread right there, this is the perfect answer

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-18-2018, 05:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly 12 View Post
Maybe a person shouldn't be so eager to kill. It all boils down to make positive on your target, and just because a person sees a wolf doesn't mean a person has to shoot.
Exactly. too many are too eager to kill as you've stated. Just because one has a firearm handy, doesn't mean that everything that moves must die.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looper View Post
Best post of the thread.

No condescension, no attitude, no finger pointing.

Just truth and common sense.

Nice.

Looper
x3
Old 01-18-2018, 07:03 PM

It's interesting that if you read the CBC report and watch their video clip you will likely react a little stronger if you didn't read the Herald first. In both versions the guy clearly made a mistake.

The point I'm going to make is you would have to be blind not to see the CBC reporters bias and over the top sensationalism to paint the situation in the darkest shade possible. They even had the 'cougar story' as cluck bait.

I'm disappointed in the guys choice of areas to hunt. His mistake is going to cost us a little bit of good will.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
So the person driving the school bus, made a turn and hit a pedestrian (happened in Edmonton two days ago and the pedestrian is in the hospital) should be given a pass because...they were sure there wasn't a pedestrian in the crosswalk?
Every year hunters are killed because someone either were sure they were an animal...or they were sure their gun was unloaded.
These are all completely avoidable incidents if you follow the four rules of gun safety.
And even if in your mind you did...you're still at fault because you obviously weren't sure enough.
I never said he should be given a pass if you read my post. My point is this: he made a poor decision, but not necessarily a totally negligent one. Most of you miss the point that while incorrectly identifying an animal is wrong and should not be excused, he didn't mistake a cow for a moose, he mistook a dog of a breed that, depending on colouring and situation, can look nearly identical to a wolf which can be legally hunted and reasonably assumed to be in the location. No one seems to believe that he isn't responsible for his actions with a rifle. Some of us are pushing back against the attitude that individuals should be crucified for any mistake regardless of the severity and that mistakes will never happen.

There are different levels of negligence which call for different kinds of reactions. For example the school bus driver: should the driver be publicly shamed for a mistake they likely feel aweful for? Yes the driver was negligent, but not willfully so. This should be contrasted to the drunk who knowing gets behind the wheel and kills innocent people. They are not the same level of negligence.

Maybe before you out and out condemn a person consider the calibre of their mistake and the react.

For the record I always feel that you are responsible for knowing what you are shooting and what is behind it. However, I also know that mistakes are made, regardless of experience and people's lofty claims.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2018, 08:43 AM

Wow. The media has moved on from this story for a couple of days now, but yet a few "hunters" on AO feel the need to keep it alive? Fascinating.

While I cannot condone the shooter for mistakingly identifying his target, I just can't bring myself to jump on the "burn him at the stake because I am holier than thou" bus.
Firstly, no one here was there. End of that fact.
Secondly, many of you keep saying the dog was wearing an orange collar? It doesn't say that anywhere. What it does say is that she normally ties a bright orange flag to the collar when out during hunting season, and knew that wolf season was still open, but just plain forgot to tie it on for this trip.
Not that the lack of an orange flag excuses the shooter, but some of you that can't comprehend what you're reading shouldn't condemn someone who couldn't comprehend what they were seeing.
lastly, I am not familiar with the area, as I'm sure 99% of you aren't either. Was this in a spot that had tons of wolves and a very small chance of someone walking their dog? Or was it the other way around?
I haven't read a statement by the hunter anywhere. Have any of you?
How do we know that the Husky wasn't running straight at the shooter to play and he shot out of fear in a wolf infested area because he believed it to be a wolf in the split-second that he had?
Too many variables and yet, as always on forums, people know enough to push the "hang" button.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrainianmudking View Post
Wow, after reading most of these comments it seems most here are holier than thou. No one here has never made a mistake, no one has lined up on a whitetail to later see it was a mule. No one has ever in their life made a poor choice. I hunt in the exact same area as this incident, if there is a large dog running at me be it coyote, wolf, or husky, why wouldn’t I take my safety into consideration? Why should I be on the hook for anything? Why is it the hunter’s responsibility to notify people that I am hunting?

This hunter was conducting our activity in accordance with the rules set out for all of us. He made a decision, I know that I support. Yes, it sucks that it was someone’s dog, but no he shouldn’t be on the hook for vet bills, or lose his hunting privilege.
These comments from those of you so opposed from what he did, well I guess you are all perfect. So perhaps you can just make this a sport for those as perfect as yourself.
Please warn everyone when you are out with a firearm if you don't mind.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
Out of all the areas to hunt around here he picked an area that has B&B's, ranches, very popular hiking trails, trail rides and more. And some of you seem to make this like he was out in the middle of no where and saw a husky randomly. Someone here even said the owners part at fault. I hike out there to and alot of hunter avoid the area because of how busy it can be. With the weather as nice as it has been that areas full of outdoorsmen. People walk there dogs everyday out there and shouldn't have to worry about some guy taking shots at any animal he sees.
Well that hunter just made it a lot easier to close the area to hunting.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Wow. The media has moved on from this story for a couple of days now, but yet a few "hunters" on AO feel the need to keep it alive? Fascinating.

While I cannot condone the shooter for mistakingly identifying his target, I just can't bring myself to jump on the "burn him at the stake because I am holier than thou" bus.
Firstly, no one here was there. End of that fact.
Secondly, many of you keep saying the dog was wearing an orange collar? It doesn't say that anywhere. What it does say is that she normally ties a bright orange flag to the collar when out during hunting season, and knew that wolf season was still open, but just plain forgot to tie it on for this trip.
Not that the lack of an orange flag excuses the shooter, but some of you that can't comprehend what you're reading shouldn't condemn someone who couldn't comprehend what they were seeing.
lastly, I am not familiar with the area, as I'm sure 99% of you aren't either. Was this in a spot that had tons of wolves and a very small chance of someone walking their dog? Or was it the other way around?
I haven't read a statement by the hunter anywhere. Have any of you?
How do we know that the Husky wasn't running straight at the shooter to play and he shot out of fear in a wolf infested area because he believed it to be a wolf in the split-second that he had?
Too many variables and yet, as always on forums, people know enough to push the "hang" button.
I think you should re-read a lot of the posts.
First...the guy made a mistake...that is a given. It is serious because mistakes with firearms don't just hurt someones feeling...they kill.
But most here are getting their hackles up not so much with him, as the responders who have that attitude of 'well accidents happen, it's no biggey'.
Actually it is a biggey.
I hope you aren't saying you fall into that camp.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Huh? This is like charging a property owner with an offence when he shoots a thief!
You know that actually happens in Canada right? lol
Old 01-19-2018, 09:40 AM
Banned

Hey AO what if this dog was chasing wildlife? Then a good lot of you would have no issues pulling the trigger on the dog. Remember those threads about domestic dogs chasing wildlife? This "hunter" er uh guy could have been of that mindset too, and figured "wolf-like dog/wolf, probably no good for muh deer population, better take care of it."

Old 01-19-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
I think you should re-read a lot of the posts.
First...the guy made a mistake...that is a given. It is serious because mistakes with firearms don't just hurt someones feeling...they kill.
But most here are getting their hackles up not so much with him, as the responders who have that attitude of 'well accidents happen, it's no biggey'.
Actually it is a biggey.
I hope you aren't saying you fall into that camp.
I read all 4 pages of posts twice, including to 2 articles.
I suggest you, at the very least, read mine again.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Banned

The Siberian Husky is a very distinctive looking dog, with their thousand yard stare, thick, heavy coats, pointed ears and alert posture. They are certainly one of the dog breeds that appear very similar physically to the wolf, and along with other dogs that contain Husky breeding (Such as the Northern Inuit Dog) they are commonly used to portray the role of wolves in films and on TV shows. Many people who are not familiar with dogs at all often assume that Huskies actually are wolves, or that they at least have a very recent history of cross breeding with wolves, and it is easy to see why!

Continued here:

https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pet-adv...-the-wolf.html
Old 01-20-2018, 02:22 PM

We hike off leash in wolf country almost daily. I'm more concerned about the wolves than the hunters but still... You would have to be retarded to confuse a wolf with a Siberian Husky. They are quarter the size, if that...

Old 01-21-2018, 07:48 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

That wolf has a vest on must have ate a traffic cop

Nice looking pup.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-21-2018, 09:09 AM

Default I think that everyone has had a chance

That will be it. You can start a new thread on either shooting things that you don't know what they are, or hunting a species that you can't identify.