Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-15-2018, 12:11 PM
Banned

Default Need some help- hog baiting

So I am asking for help here in better understanding baiting. I know you can use corn and stuff for deer to bring them in so you can catch them on trail cameras, but not legal to shoot over bait piles. Now I have happened to stumble upon a nice pack of hogs, or two that are sticking around a place I scouted West of Edmonton. I can't find much info on the legality of hunting hogs over bait, as all I could find was baiting for bear and wolves/coyotes. Would anyone have any idea? May as well tell me for either private or public land.

I called Fish and Wildlife and they are going to get back as they do not know themselves haha

TIA!
Old 01-15-2018, 01:06 PM

As far as I can see the baiting rules only apply to big game and game birds. Since feral hogs are not considered big game you should be good to go. Since a black bear season may be open F&W might accuse you of hunting bear without a license. During an active deer season I would avoid baiting all together.

Personally if It were me I would get a black bear license just in case (if available) to help cover your butt.

If you would like another shooter, let me know. I'm always up for meeting hunters.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 01-15-2018, 01:18 PM

The guys I hunt with in Oz bait them year round. They use a chain link/ heavy mesh cage about 8' square with a lid on top. One side has a door that can be pushed in from the outside and drops shut behind the pig once he's in. On the roof they put a sack of grain. This time of year in Alberta it wouldn't stink enough but in the summer when it's wet and rotting it'll work perfectly. A little hole in the sack to drop a little on the ground under the bag wouldn't hurt but it's not required.
Now, if you want to bait and hunt them that's another story altogether. Forgo the trap and get some bait out where they'll find it.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:41 PM

I've heard that corn and diesel fuel is good bait....seems pigs love both. I'm not sure what that'll do they the meat
Old 01-15-2018, 03:52 PM

I was reading that hogs have a sweet tooth and people using kool aid and corn, beer and corn or even a cappuccino powder and corn. I had done alot of research when i found some hogs but never got permission to access the property. If you need pm me I think I have a few links saved on my computer at home.

P.S. I wouldn't use the beer and corn. Save the beer to drink while eating bacon. Lol

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 01-15-2018, 04:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog Edm View Post
I was reading that hogs have a sweet tooth and people using kool aid and corn, beer and corn or even a cappuccino powder and corn. I had done alot of research when i found some hogs but never got permission to access the property. If you need pm me I think I have a few links saved on my computer at home.

P.S. I wouldn't use the beer and corn. Save the beer to drink while eating bacon. Lol
Yea i made some bait for hogs while I was in Texas for Christmas but never hunted over it so not sure how well it works, but the recipe I got was 50lb bag of corn from academy which is like $6, unlike the communist prices we have here and two packages of powder jello and 3 packs of bakers yeast. Add like 10 cups of water and let it sit for a week. Guys use it there in their traps and bait sites and some even dig a 1 foot hole and put it in there so they're too busy trying to get to it, and bam! Headshot!
Old 01-15-2018, 04:43 PM

I was planning on using a drip bag hung from a tree then spreading the excess in a little hole/wallow underneath. It would let the smell travel better. Set a stand and some cameras. Try to get a pattern and hunt them like bears. I really wanted to get one with my bow.

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!