Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-09-2018, 02:36 PM

Default Longest stand

Shot this coyote after a 52 min set ..started with female howl and used almost every coyote vocal i had before a pup in distress finally sealed the deal ..every one always says that when 2 come in shoot the far one first, well that has always been my idea to...until you can't get the close one to stop, in which case you shoot her at 15 yds. The male was not far behind but managed to slip into a washout and avoid us. We have been mostly snaring this year and this is one of the few we have called .

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2018, 03:34 PM

Good looking dog....nice job.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:17 PM
Banned

H380
What ammo are you using there? Reloads ? factory?
Old 01-09-2018, 05:20 PM

I think I’m going to start packing the shotgun when using coyote pup distress. The come in fast and close.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:45 PM

Nice yote buddy ..Congrats
Old 01-09-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
H380
What ammo are you using there? Reloads ? factory?
22 250 handloads
38 gr H380
52 gr A max
3500 fps
Shot was quartering to at 15 yds and pinhole entrance , no exit . Stay away from shoulder and it scrambles em ...very few exits if so just tiny .

Old 01-09-2018, 06:41 PM

Default Longest stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
Good looking dog....nice job.
X2!
Old 01-09-2018, 08:13 PM

Nice. I too am thinking shotgun might be a good idea...could have had several that came in very close, hard and fast. it's unreal how quickly things can happen sometimes. You think you are ready but.....
Old 01-09-2018, 08:57 PM

Nice yote and rifle! I was out this Sunday and not one response except for a couple deer came in to my fawn calls on one stand. Mind you I was hunting in big bush . Your example shows me that I may need to sit a bit longer than 20 minutes.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:22 PM
Banned

did something make you think they were gonna show, or was it just a nice day to sit in a snowbank?.......good thing it wasn't 20 below!
Old 01-09-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
Nice yote and rifle! I was out this Sunday and not one response except for a couple deer came in to my fawn calls on one stand. Mind you I was hunting in big bush . Your example shows me that I may need to sit a bit longer than 20 minutes.
Not to take away from the fact that longer stands can definitely produce....but in my own personal experience I’ve found that the time spent sitting say 40 instead of 20 min cuts the amount of stands you can do in a day by half. I would say 90% of yotes will come in within 20 minutes. So for the extra 10% that come in slow, I would rather do double the stands. I’ve put up far better numbers with that approach than long stands. There’s a reason in big competitions stateside that the guys are doing 7-10min stands. Most come in quick, so it really is a numbers game if you have the real estate to work with.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
Not to take away from the fact that longer stands can definitely produce....but in my own personal experience I’ve found that the time spent sitting say 40 instead of 20 min cuts the amount of stands you can do in a day by half. I would say 90% of yotes will come in within 20 minutes. So for the extra 10% that come in slow, I would rather do double the stands. I’ve put up far better numbers with that approach than long stands. There’s a reason in big competitions stateside that the guys are doing 7-10min stands. Most come in quick, so it really is a numbers game if you have the real estate to work with.
You and Spoiled sask are exactly right on stand times . I keep close eye on my watch to make sure I stay for 12 -15 mins and if nothing shows then I leave . However , as you can see from the country I was in that dogs can be visible for quite a while before committing . Guess maybe I better write up the whole story .
The first coyote here showed up at 8 mins at a range of about 800 yds and then sat and watched , I switched to a different female vocal and the other started to bark about the same distance away but to this ones left . This kept up for 10 mins with us barking and howling back and forth til he couldnt take it any longer and showed up . The 2 came together and the show went on for another 10mins with them wandering slowly into a draw between us .
Then nothing , and I mean nothing . A couple magpies had followed them into the draw and now one sat on a fence post where they had disappeared , the other continued up a fence line to my left for another 400 yds and then landed . Having had magpies follow coyotes in before I figured maybe the dogs were still interested but just trying to figure it out I kept up the vocals .. female whimpers , female submision howls , pair of coyotes yipping .. you get the idea . I dont give up or quit cause Im sure the coyotes are still there .
Now we sit at 51 mins and my 81 year old Dad is wondering what in the He !! I 'm doing still calling cause he cant see anything from his position 50yds away . First magpie now gets up off post and I see that coyotes head peeking thru the fence at 400 yds ... one call I havent tried yet so on goes the pup distress . Coyote takes a couple steps then nreaks into a slow trot toward me , I look for other magpie and yup !! dog #2 is under him and is now on the way . I quickly range a fence line between us at 199 yds so I have a referance . Good idea but its not needed as they are definitely commited . I have now shut off the call and as they get to the fence they start to swing a little wide to my right and are gonna go behind a hill . I dont like to let the call run anymore than I have to , I dont want locations pinpointed , I'd rather have coyote look for sound .
On comes the call and they swing back toward me as if on a string with the victim a 100 yds in front . They close in fast and I am ready on my sticks , I want to shoot far one first but this close one isnt slowing up .When she gets to 15 yds she spots movement as I drop sticks and let her have it . Goes down in a pile and my hasty second shot just goes over the back of her buddy as he turns to make a hasty retreat . He's now onto back side of a small hill and reappears again at 400 and leaving .. no shot . I can hear Dad laughing as he now realizes whats up , my only regret is him not getting the shot .
So now you have the long version of my longest stand , never had to work that hard to call one in but soooo much fun . I love the Amax bullets and can thank spoiled saskhunter for getting me started on them .. a target bullet that is very fur friendly . And yes Gerry , it was actually a nice day to sit in a snow bank . lol.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:59 AM
Banned

.......new there had to be more to it!

you are SO lucky to be able to take your dad out. i'm envious.

still snake bit! it's 24 below on my thermometer this am. i'm hoping it's gonna warm up, 'cause i think i'll go out to mac's and see if he's got a dog or two that will come in!

wish me luck.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:19 PM
Banned

well........went out and sat in a snowbank for AT LEAST 52 minutes! counted 8 dogs walking around within hearing and NONE of them were the least bit interested.

some were mousing, some were just laying there, and some were just wandering away. nothing I could say interested them......at least you got one cam!!

forgot to mention it was only 24 below.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
well........went out and sat in a snowbank for AT LEAST 52 minutes! counted 8 dogs walking around within hearing and NONE of them were the least bit interested.

some were mousing, some were just laying there, and some were just wandering away. nothing I could say interested them......at least you got one cam!!

forgot to mention it was only 24 below.
Some times its not what you say but your tone of voice .. kinda like home ..lol.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Shot this coyote after a 52 min set ..started with female howl and used almost every coyote vocal i had before a pup in distress finally sealed the deal ..every one always says that when 2 come in shoot the far one first, well that has always been my idea to...until you can't get the close one to stop, in which case you shoot her at 15 yds. The male was not far behind but managed to slip into a washout and avoid us. We have been mostly snaring this year and this is one of the few we have called .

Looks like my old stomping grounds!! Grew up in that area, and still hunt around there! Great dog, fantastic scenery!
Old 01-13-2018, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouleerunner View Post
Looks like my old stomping grounds!! Grew up in that area, and still hunt around there! Great dog, fantastic scenery!
Seems to get a lot of attention from a few callers , maybe that is why it took so long .