Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-06-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnhunter View Post
Found this beauty on January 2nd!
That's a good one! Any chance for another pic or two from different angles?

They started dropping the gear around here as well. I saw a whitetail with no headgear. I also saw a mulie with only right antler on; it appeared as if the left one has been broken off though, but I am not certain and he did not give me a chance for a better look.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianEh View Post
Dang Man a nice freshie!

Was it near Calgary? I havent seen any bucks with dropped antlers yet this far south
Yep, not too far outside Calgary.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
That's a good one! Any chance for another pic or two from different angles?

They started dropping the gear around here as well. I saw a whitetail with no headgear. I also saw a mulie with only right antler on; it appeared as if the left one has been broken off though, but I am not certain and he did not give me a chance for a better look.
Here's a slightly different angle showing the drop tine a little better. Along with a few others of course!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0285.JPG (130.0 KB, 574 views)
Old 01-07-2018, 10:12 PM

For me the photo appears to be upside down, so I reattached it. Hope you do not mind.

It is a great find! Contender for a shed of the season in my books Would be great if you find the one from the other side.

I went for an amazing hike in the woods today, exploring some area that I always wanted to try hunting in. As I walked, I looked for sheds as well and have not found any.

Is anyone still seeing moose carrying their antlers?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0285.JPG (144.4 KB, 2373 views)
Old 01-07-2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Yep, not too far outside Calgary.

Dang man. There's still 10" of snow haha.. Did you take a good as it lay picture?
Old 01-08-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Found this beauty on January 2nd!
WOW! great find!
Old 01-08-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Dang man. There's still 10" of snow haha.. Did you take a good as it lay picture?
Where I was walking it was easily a foot to a foot and a half deep. Lucky enough to find this where the deer had eaten and stomped the snow down with their hooves. Unfortunately, was so excited with the find that my son and I didn't think to take a picture as it lay.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:51 PM

Dead head I found this year!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2018, 02:53 PM

Found on road side

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2018, 03:09 PM

H380, let's see a different picture of that brow tine.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:11 PM

About a week and a half ago we were returning from Wetaskiwin via Beaumont. There was a WT buck trotting in a field behind the Ellerslie Walmart with only one antler still on his head.

Haven't been sledding crown land due to lack of snow so haven't found any sheds yet.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:41 PM

Yesterday ended up being a pretty good afternoon. It was a beautiful day outside and after lunch, I decided to go to one of my regular deer hunting spots to check some coyote snares I had put out at the request of the landowner. Once there, I proceeded to unload the calf sled and start the 1mile trek in and out on the cutline that bisects his property (landowner allows me access to hunt and trap his property but foot access only...and I'm more than happy to oblige). I only had 6 snares set on random trails as the owner didn't want any bait put out (he was concerned about his dog wandering...)
I wasn't expecting much success but was pleasantly surprised to find 4 coyotes in the 6 snares I had set. The walk out with the full calf sled was a satisfying feeling.
After getting everything loaded into the truck, it was time to head home. But because he had requested me to do so, I stopped by at the landowner's house with the intention of quickly informing him of the catch but...as so often happens...he convinced to stay a bit longer for a visit. After a few coffees, some good conversation with said landowner and his wife, and him extending my hunting/trapping privileges for next year...I finally hit the road home towards late afternoon.
What had already been a good day was made even better as I headed westward with a nice sunset in front of me...
Zw8bN6il.jpg

A few hundred yards before entering into my driveway, I happened to glance out into the field where deer had been feeding...and the dark profile of an antler stood out against the white snowy background.
72E7phtl.jpg

YoCxbInl.jpg
I recognized this buck, as he has been feeding in my yard since December and he is the only buck that has shed out of 12 bucks that are regularly in my yard...he dropped both sides approximately a week ago.
azOa2YVl.jpg
I got some great mid day pics of this buck up close and personal from one of my groundblinds in mid-November but I can't seem to find those particular pics in my "too many" pics and folders...
But I did find this after-season game camera pic of him...
oydoQLfl.jpg[/attach]
I also have this buck's sheds from last year (found in Feb 2017} and other than a 4 inch kicker he grew on his left G2 this year...he is virtually the same size as last year.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:05 PM

Hmmm...I haven't posted pics for a while...
That didn't work like I wanted.
I'll try something different with above pics...

Zw8bN6is.jpg

72E7phts.jpg

YoCxbIns.jpg

azOa2YVs.jpg

oydoQLfs.jpg
Old 01-22-2018, 01:49 PM

Found this decent 4 point shed with good mass yesterday afternoon. It is just over 60" and has a 5-4/8" H1.

Ten minutes later the fella I was with found a dead deer curled up against a tree, frozen solid. 99% sure it was the buck that shed this antler. Only about 100 yards away..not sure if the rut and the cold snap was too hard on him or if it was just the end of his days... but a very unique find that is for sure.

Now just to find his right side...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4288.jpg (117.8 KB, 536 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4291.jpg (124.1 KB, 564 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4301.jpg (99.7 KB, 612 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4305.jpg (112.3 KB, 550 views)
Old 01-22-2018, 02:27 PM

mtnhunter; your shed looks like it came off this guy

Old 01-22-2018, 04:43 PM

Went out today. Was about 4 years too late on this one.

Saw two bull moose carrying both sides still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
mtnhunter; your shed looks like it came off this guy

I think you're right! That's exactly like the shed I found!
Old 01-22-2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbuck View Post
Yesterday ended up being a pretty good afternoon. It was a beautiful day outside and after lunch, I decided to go to one of my regular deer hunting spots to check some coyote snares I had put out at the request of the landowner. Once there, I proceeded to unload the calf sled and start the 1mile trek in and out on the cutline that bisects his property (landowner allows me access to hunt and trap his property but foot access only...and I'm more than happy to oblige). I only had 6 snares set on random trails as the owner didn't want any bait put out (he was concerned about his dog wandering...)
I wasn't expecting much success but was pleasantly surprised to find 4 coyotes in the 6 snares I had set. The walk out with the full calf sled was a satisfying feeling.
After getting everything loaded into the truck, it was time to head home. But because he had requested me to do so, I stopped by at the landowner's house with the intention of quickly informing him of the catch but...as so often happens...he convinced to stay a bit longer for a visit. After a few coffees, some good conversation with said landowner and his wife, and him extending my hunting/trapping privileges for next year...I finally hit the road home towards late afternoon.
What had already been a good day was made even better as I headed westward with a nice sunset in front of me...

Great post northbuck! I really enjoy "extended" posts like this. And a solid sunset photo! Not many things are better than driving west at the right time of the day.

Surprised to hear that only one out of 12 dropped the armour so far. I was sure that cold streak (after the warmth) will get them shedding. I stand corrected
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLayden View Post
Saw two bull moose carrying both sides still.
Interesting. And thank you for mentioning it.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:54 PM

Lets bump this sucker.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:23 PM

Ive picked three so far ... nothing spectacular, but all freshie brown gold!

One is a small Six.. he may yet turn into something special..

here they are..

Old 01-25-2018, 10:34 PM

Well done. I was waiting for your first post. I am yet to get out (none of the previous plans really worked out yet) and will get on that when I am back from vacation.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
Well done. I was waiting for your first post. I am yet to get out (none of the previous plans really worked out yet) and will get on that when I am back from vacation.
Yah I hear you.. I have only been out 2x for a short period each. so I do feel lucky to have grabbed what I did.

Just tonight I drove out to see if I could spot any of the bachelor groups. did happen to see a group of 6... None of which had headgear left, aside from 1 of them.. a large chunky 4x4, and he only carried 1 side. So I watched for as long as possible into the dark, hoping it would fall where i would see it.

Alas it did not.

Seems very early this year.. I didnt see the majority drop last year, until the later half of February.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Yah I hear you.. I have only been out 2x for a short period each. so I do feel lucky to have grabbed what I did.

Just tonight I drove out to see if I could spot any of the bachelor groups. did happen to see a group of 6... None of which had headgear left, aside from 1 of them.. a large chunky 4x4, and he only carried 1 side. So I watched for as long as possible into the dark, hoping it would fall where i would see it.

Alas it did not.

Seems very early this year.. I didnt see the majority drop last year, until the later half of February.
Man this is awesome! I have not even considered going out yet as last year I had many bucks still holding on in late march/april.

If they are dropping in the area early this year I think I should have amuch higher chance of getting the sheds im looking for. The later the drop the more the deer have moved on from my locations. Dam now I need to rearrange the weekend plans!

Good on you CanadianEH. some great ones last year and a hell of a start for you this year.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:01 AM

Thanks Moose!

As always I haven't ventured at all into the bedding areas yet. I have multiple cams around in the clusters of trees this year that I placed right at the end of hunting season.

I figure I'll go check a few cams in a month or so, unless I see the deer move on.

If I can locate some of the antlers I have seen on some of the brutes this year... It should be a very productive shed season.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:39 PM

A few bucks are dropping...but I think it's still a little early to be getting real serious about finding sheds as most bucks are still carrying. In years past, I've found them as early as first week in December...and have seen bucks still packing as late as late April. But generally speaking, a large majority of the shedding will take place between early February and mid-March...at least in my area. Maybe there are slight variations in peak shedding times in different parts of their range...
I've found 4 so far this year but that was mostly just from being "out and about" in good deer country...they are still few and far in between.
Like I stated in a earlier post in this thread.. I'm fortunate to have a good-size herd wintering in my yard...and I get to observe them every morning and afternoon. In this particular herd, there are 12 identifiable/recognizable bucks. One of the more mature bucks shed a little while back...but as of yesterday afternoon, the other 11 are still carrying both sides. Here are a few pics from the last 48 hours...

c028kCbb.jpg

ODsWT7hb.jpg

f1x55q9b.jpg

LDPfnOhb.jpg

dEhty7Qb.jpg

DXQGpXxb.jpg

DCruPSNb.jpg
Old 01-27-2018, 10:21 AM

Where abouts in the province are you located Northbuck?

I saw one group of Bacheolors around here and only one had a single antler left. Within 45 mins of South Calgary
Old 02-03-2018, 07:56 PM

2 muley horns today found 50 ft apart but not a set .

Old 02-04-2018, 08:11 PM

Found a set 15 feet apart and a single down south here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6640.jpg (24.0 KB, 483 views)
Old 02-05-2018, 09:31 PM

Good job guys!!! I just return from a week holiday to find my area under over a foot of new snow. Any that had dropped are now buried. This is the latest I've gone without finding a deer antler ever. Have found a small moose paddle though.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:05 AM

The ‘as found’ pics get my blood going. Not much can beat walking up to a big matched set.

Hopefully I can add some soon.