Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-30-2017, 11:26 AM

Default Saying thanks to kind landowners

So without the kind "yes you can hunt" my property meetings, my kid would not have had so many awesome encounters with Bullwinkle's this season or tagged out on a super nice bull. Mr moose is cut and wrapped and it's time to swing by and say thanks to these land owners. One property owner I know well and would appreciate wild meat. The other guy I just met this season when my son and I knocked on his door and don't know if they like wild meat.

I'm thinking a nice gift basket so the ladies and kids of the house can also enjoy but you never know who likes what( i have got gift baskets that only a couple things got eaten), allergic to what, who likes to have a drink or not.

A thank you card with a gift card to Timmies or a pre paid CC seems to cover bases(let them go enjoy a meal on us kinda thing) but also seems a bit cold.

A thanks and hand shake does not seem to be enough.

Thoughts on what you have done to say thanks?

If your a land owner, what has made you think "well that was nice"

I'm sure with the season ending, there are a few of us wondering what is a good way to say thanks.

Appreciate the replies.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:30 AM

Box or 2 of christmas oranges always a big hit.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:37 AM

I thank the landowners who are kind enough to give access with some home made cookies / pastries / for the Christmas season and a bag or two of sausage . We are lucky to have folks willing to share the land they have worked hard for. Its a privilege to be on anothers property and I want to show them this is how I feel

As hunters we are damn lucky to have landowners willing to share, they are an important part of keeping our sport alive. They put up with enough crap , if they aren't shown that the responsible hunter can and does behave properly it would be darn easy to shut things down entirely

So a big thank you to all the landowners that are willing to take a chance on us,
Old 11-30-2017, 11:50 AM

Good post Op and I agree with the all the gratitude ideas above as well. I have found another idea is to offer help around the farm/acreage if needed. I helped one landowner after a morning hunt this fall hang a sliding door on his new Quonset due to it being a bit much for him and his wife to handle. Took all of 30 minutes and he's mentioned numerous times how much it was appreciated. Shouldn't have a problem getting permission there for the next while.......
Old 11-30-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
Good post Op and I agree with the all the gratitude ideas above as well. I have found another idea is to offer help around the farm/acreage if needed. I helped one landowner after a morning hunt this fall hang a sliding door on his new Quonset due to it being a bit much for him and his wife to handle. Took all of 30 minutes and he's mentioned numerous times how much it was appreciated. Shouldn't have a problem getting permission there for the next while.......
Agree, the landowner my boy got his moose on is the one who enjoys wild game and he has about 15 + km's of trails on his property. He also rides a horse back there. We have been clearing trails since aug in preparation of the hunt. It keeps them clear for his horse and allows us to walk nice and quiet. Win win. I have already told him the trail work will continue next season, tag or no tag
Old 11-30-2017, 12:08 PM

Being from Quebec, I have to keep a 25% maple syrup blood level, to stay healthy, I have my brother send me a crate of maple syrup every now and then, also, whenever I have family flying in to Saskatchewan from Quebec, I ask them to bring a few large bags of cheese curds.

Every now and then, I'll drop by the farms where I am allowed to hunt and will drop off cans of maple syrup, fresh cheese curds and moose/deer meat as well as pickles I make.

They all seem to enjoy it, "real" cheese curds are always a huge hit outside of Quebec and frankly who doesn't like maple syrup?
Old 11-30-2017, 12:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottie View Post

As hunters we are damn lucky to have landowners willing to share, they are an important part of keeping our sport alive. They put up with enough crap , if they aren't shown that the responsible hunter can and does behave properly it would be darn easy to shut things down entirely
As a landowner, I agree. But many here don’t feel the same...
Old 11-30-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Hunters like landowners are humans and a good chunk of humans are @ssholes.

A lot of people DGAF about anything and do as they please. It sucks but its up to us to make up and rebuild burnt bridges. I don't know how many times I've been turned around by landowners because they had had bad experiences in the past with disrespectful so called "hunters".

On the other hand, I've been granted access to land where the owner was more than happy to let me in so I could keep an eye out for trespassers. I've also been granted access, thanks to family and friends vouching for me, to land where the owner didn't want anyone because of bad experiences and gave the owners a new view on hunting and what respectful hunters are really like.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:35 PM

When I used to guide for bird hunters I liked to give the Xmas gift baskets at Cosco, the families seemed to appreciate it and I always felt good giving.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
And regretfully its the ones that don't agree that makes it hard for the responsible man. Asking permission is something I hate doing,( but I always do ) how does a person convince a landowner he has just met, that he is in fact one of the good guys. To me its a pretty big leap of faith to let someone whom you don't know run around with a rifle

Question for you, how do you like to be approached, some of us are good responsible people, how can a person get this across on an initial meeting / chat ?
Old 11-30-2017, 12:59 PM

A bag of sausage made from the animal shot, a jar of maple syrup, and being invited over for a meal never hurt.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:00 PM

A case of beer, hand shake and a sincere thank you, is what I usually go with. I also try to touch base occasionally, Merry Christmas wishes ect. That way it doesn't seem the only time I talk to him I'm asking for permission.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:11 PM

A firm handshake and genuine thank you. An offer to share the harvest (most decline, as they have it right there, so don't be surprised). A phone number to call in case they need a hand.

Perhaps a bottle of good stuff if you know they'd like it, once you've known them for a few years.

Most landowners who allow hunting are good folks who are happy to be doing something nice, and they appreciate the post season visit and thank you more than you might guess. The longer you know someone, the more you will know what will be appreciated.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:22 PM

A 40 of Kraken and rings of sausage have always been appreciated.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:33 PM

My wife usually picks up a few of those gift baskets with assorted coffee and stuff in them. Then we usually through in a tims card.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:03 PM

Last year I had a landowner down south go out of his way to help me out. After a half-hour talk out in the field he gave me permission on a chunk of his private land where I eventually got a pretty good Mule deer by most standards. I shot the deer the last hour of light about 3.5 - 4k from the road. By the time I caped the head out and got back to the truck it was well after dark. I drove up to his house that evening and let him know where the skinned deer was and that I had left my jacket, pack, sweaty socks, etc lying over it to try and keep animals away and that I would be back first thing in the morning to pack it out. After hearing where the deer was located he said that if I was there first thing in the morning he would have his quad gassed up and I could use it to get the carcass out. I graciously accepted. If not for him it would have been a long day for sure.

And what did he want in return? Nothing. Said he wouldn’t accept a thing in return.

Regardless, I drove up to Elkwater and bought a gift certificate to the dining room at the resort there; enough for him to take his wife out for a real nice dinner. On my way home I did a detour back down south and dropped it off with him. He was pretty surprised to say the least. I still had a hard time getting him to accept it but after explaining I was driving about 1,100K north and wouldn’t be using it myself I did manage to get him to take it. Just a small token of my appreciation. I’m pretty sure if I ever get drawn down that way again I would have at least one place to hunt.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:20 PM

I usually buy a decent bottle of wine for a few landowners every year. Hutterites prefer beer or in one case Scotch.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-30-2017, 05:40 PM

I'd find out proclivities before buying liquor... The offer of liquor would offend a few that I know...
Old 11-30-2017, 05:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
A firm handshake and genuine thank you. An offer to share the harvest (most decline, as they have it right there, so don't be surprised). A phone number to call in case they need a hand.

Perhaps a bottle of good stuff if you know they'd like it, once you've known them for a few years.

Most landowners who allow hunting are good folks who are happy to be doing something nice, and they appreciate the post season visit and thank you more than you might guess. The longer you know someone, the more you will know what will be appreciated.
Pretty much sums it up.

Congrats on the moose, sooner.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:32 PM

40 of rye for the one guy

$100+ bottle of single malt for the other (I shoot more on his property)
Old 11-30-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffee View Post
Being from Quebec, I have to keep a 25% maple syrup blood level, to stay healthy, I have my brother send me a crate of maple syrup every now and then, also, whenever I have family flying in to Saskatchewan from Quebec, I ask them to bring a few large bags of cheese curds.

Every now and then, I'll drop by the farms where I am allowed to hunt and will drop off cans of maple syrup, fresh cheese curds and moose/deer meat as well as pickles I make.

They all seem to enjoy it, "real" cheese curds are always a huge hit outside of Quebec and frankly who doesn't like maple syrup?
There's a guy from Québec that opened a cheesery between here and Vermillion, his curds are the real deal, fresh and squeaky just like the Quebec stuff. His business his booming and he distributes to markets and convenience stores as far as Cold Lake, St.Paul, Bonnyville, Wainwright and other places. Moderately priced too at $5.25 for a small bag. He gave me a tour of the cheesery and it's all made with local Alberta milk. He also makes cheddar and he's now starting making brie as well. Just saying in case you happen to come around here.

ht tp://www.oldschoolcheesery.com/cheese
Old 11-30-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellero View Post
There's a guy from Québec that opened a cheesery between here and Vermillion, his curds are the real deal, fresh and squeaky just like the Quebec stuff. His business his booming and he distributes to markets and convenience stores as far as Cold Lake, St.Paul, Bonnyville, Wainwright and other places. Moderately priced too at $5.25 for a small bag. He gave me a tour of the cheesery and it's all made with local Alberta milk. He also makes cheddar and he's now starting making brie as well. Just saying in case you happen to come around here.

ht tp://www.oldschoolcheesery.com/cheese
Haha I actually know the guy and used to work with him...
Old 11-30-2017, 06:56 PM

The comments on this thread i find quite interesting. I have had many bad experiences with hunters and it has given me a lock it down mentality.
After reading this thread i'm wondering if i might have rushed judgement on this topic. Maybe allowing a city slicker to enjoy a successful harvest would be fine. Hmm, you all have me thinking...
Old 11-30-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffee View Post
Haha I actually know the guy and used to work with him...
Cool, Pat's a nice guy, ex military ammo tech.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:25 PM

His year it's gonna be several foil pans of lasagna. I've done cookies int he past and althgh I love booze and enjoy giving it away for some folks it's poison I've quit giving booze.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1983 View Post
The comments on this thread i find quite interesting. I have had many bad experiences with hunters and it has given me a lock it down mentality.
After reading this thread i'm wondering if i might have rushed judgement on this topic. Maybe allowing a city slicker to enjoy a successful harvest would be fine. Hmm, you all have me thinking...
I know where you're coming from Mac but in all honesty most people are good but the bad ones sure pizz a guy off though.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1983 View Post
I find this interesting as well. The guys that go out of their way to thank landowners after the hunt should pat yourself on the back. You are probably in the top 5%. Very rare to ever have anyone even just say thank you afterwards.

If you are unsuccessful in your hunt on a landowners land how many guys still make an effort to say thanks to the landowner afterwards?
Old 11-30-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post
I find this interesting as well. The guys that go out of their way to thank landowners after the hunt should pat yourself on the back. You are probably in the top 5%. Very rare to ever have anyone even just say thank you afterwards.

If you are unsuccessful in your hunt on a landowners land how many guys still make an effort to say thanks to the landowner afterwards?
I still drop off home made Christmas baking to all land owners who are kind enough to allow access weather I harvest on their land or not. Still a pretty cheap way of saying thanks, but according to the farm wife's they appreciate the personal touch . Doesn't need to be much, most just appreciate that they are not being taken for granted. Respect , both on his field and on his front porch go a long way to show the type if man he is talking to.

Not a hard concept really, give respect and bet you will that it will be returned
Old 11-30-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Never shot anything on the one guys place - he still got a 40. Thankfully he likes the cheaper rye!
Old 12-01-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:

When I did farmland hunts years back, tagged out or not, the return thanks with something in hand was always done by me or my partner if we couldnt go together.