Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-23-2017, 09:28 AM

We were fortunate enough to get access into the NWA both days we hiked a total of 32KM in the two days I ended up settling on a young bull in the NWA and packed it out over 4KM on our backs. We were on elk every day within 20min, I thought it was a fantastic hunt if you plan on truck driving the entire time its going to be a long day. Its sad that guys draw the NWA and never leave there trucks we talked to several people on the side of the road that hadn't stepped out of the truck and were complaining they didn't see any elk. The first day we did see the herd of 2000 Head of elk with no decent bull we enjoyed watching them feed and carried on our day. Overall I was very pleased with my experience and cant wait to go back thanks to my buds that helped me pack my bull out. Until next time Sufield PS DONT BRING BEER ON THE BASE!!! lots of guys were getting banned.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:40 PM

My friends got back last night. They harvested a nice 6X6 in the NWA. They packed it out about 8km. I've seen pics but can't share until my buddy says its OK.

The biologist said it was the biggest bull taken so far this year. Happy hunter just turned 18. Dad was very proud. It was an awesome shot at about 450 yds. (My buddy exaggerates a bit so maybe it wasn't that far but I have seen his son make some pretty awesome shots from long distance in the past on deer)

He did also mention they did see a lot of elk in the NWA but when they didn't have access it was slim pickings. He mentioned he saw probably the largest Mule deer on the hoof. He said it came over a ridge and could only see the antlers first. He told his boy to get ready as soon as they could see the body they were going to take this small elk. When they could see the whole animal he couldn't believe what he was seeing. He thought at first it was a small 4pt elk but it was a massive Muley.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:43 PM
Banned

I think this is a great “hunt”. There was plenty of priority used up on antlered elk special draw. Perfect as my priority is very high now.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:10 PM

Is the gas station in Ralston open? thanks
Old 11-23-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerkie View Post
Is the gas station in Ralston open? thanks
It's open but the fuel pumps are still under construction.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:43 AM

Default Suffield Cow Elk

Day 1 for us. Let the games begin.

Wild Sheep Foundation of Alberta
Old 11-27-2017, 09:58 AM

Good hunting!
Old 11-27-2017, 08:42 PM

Default so far

Sounds like less than ten total at least at 1830. Didn't harvest but did see a huge herd and a couple of small herds though. DND were great today.

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock
Old 11-28-2017, 06:47 AM

Agree that everyone in the base was awesome, well executed. I saw no craziness.

Hiked 8km in the NWA. Great day with my son, but didn’t see a single elk. Heard about some big herds.....

Someone harvested a lone buck within a km of where we were though, they are out there.

Saw countless antelope and muleys, some amazing mule deer bucks.

Fingers crossed for today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFury View Post
Agree that everyone in the base was awesome, well executed. I saw no craziness.

Hiked 8km in the NWA. Great day with my son, but didn’t see a single elk. Heard about some big herds.....

Someone harvested a lone buck within a km of where we were though, they are out there.

Saw countless antelope and muleys, some amazing mule deer bucks.

Fingers crossed for today.

I take it you mean a lone bull. Fantastic country for sure.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:28 AM

Do they have a "No drones" rule?
Old 11-28-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Seriously
Old 11-28-2017, 12:27 PM

Asking for a friend lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Old 11-28-2017, 01:09 PM

with the wind they have out there you would get a great view of the Saskatchewan border in about 1 minute.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:56 PM

Oh c'mon it's the question everyone wants to ask but is too afraid. Going in February, looking for Santa ideas.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshunter View Post
I take it you mean a lone bull. Fantastic country for sure.

Yup bull. I guess all I saw that day were deer, so my brain couldn’t really fathom a bull...

Old 11-29-2017, 06:56 AM

Just got back from Suffield last night. What a great experience. I dropped my bull 10:30 am yesterday in the NWA. It took me and my father-in-law 4 hours to get it all back to the truck, we were a couple km’s from the truck with some big hills between. It was worth it. It was a small 6x6, my first elk. I was ready to take a spiker just to fill the freezer but the big one gave me the only shot. At the gates they said its one of the bigger ones that came out, im assuming for this season.

They drew around 30 names everyday for the NWA, I got drawn on both days since only about 30 people put in for the draw so everyone who applied got drawn. We hiked 30km between the two days. Saw no elk the first day but lots of sign.

It was very well organized and the DND were great
Old 11-29-2017, 07:13 AM

Congrats on the bull !! Great to hear some positive reports coming out.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanCretien View Post
Sounds like less than ten total at least at 1830. Didn't harvest but did see a huge herd and a couple of small herds though. DND were great today.

We harvested a cow and guys next to us a bull yesterday. NWA on that north south road. The hoof prints on the road were incredible. Saw a nose to tail elk train over 2km long in my spotting scope. Will never see animals like that again I bet. Unreal. Parks was good, DND was good. Hunters we ran into we're polite etc. Good experience. Really windy.

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock
Old 12-03-2017, 08:05 AM

Default Suffield elk hunt

I was just wondering if your hunting partner has to fill out same paperwork to get on base?
Old 12-03-2017, 08:46 AM

Great posts! Sounds like a good hunt.
Have question - I'm assuming the zone is in a CWD area, do you have to submit the heads for testing or is CWD not an issue?
Old 12-03-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireball View Post
I was just wondering if your hunting partner has to fill out same paperwork to get on base?
Yes, they have to sign a waiver.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk09 View Post
Great posts! Sounds like a good hunt.
Have question - I'm assuming the zone is in a CWD area, do you have to submit the heads for testing or is CWD not an issue?

Suffield is in the CWD zone, and the herds regularly move off the base into infected areas. First couple of seasons head submission was mandatory at the front gate on the way out. Initial testing for this period was completely clear, so they relaxed the mandatory submission. Unfortunately they have since had at least one positive from the herd. Not sure what the rules are this year, maybe some successful hunters can chime in.

Assuming I am fortunate enough to harvest a cow in January, I will definitely be getting it tested before consuming any of the meat.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:54 AM

Great to hear some good stories. Thanks for those sharing.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:12 AM

Default Cwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
Suffield is in the CWD zone, and the herds regularly move off the base into infected areas. First couple of seasons head submission was mandatory at the front gate on the way out. Initial testing for this period was completely clear, so they relaxed the mandatory submission. Unfortunately they have since had at least one positive from the herd. Not sure what the rules are this year, maybe some successful hunters can chime in.

Assuming I am fortunate enough to harvest a cow in January, I will definitely be getting it tested before consuming any of the meat.
CWD testing is not mandatory for the base. It is recommended however.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:52 PM

Anybody from the forum out there this week ??
Old 12-08-2017, 08:02 AM

Default No elk

Yes, I was out there all week. Yes I did get an elk BUT it was only in the NWA zone where the elk are. Did not see 1 elk in the general hunting area. In the NWA, it is walk in and out only . All the elk are about 1 1/2 miles in. So a long haul out. There was only 5 or 6 elk shot each day, so I would not recommend going.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:53 PM

Can't believe someone would recommend not going at all.

Put the tag in your pocket, go for a walk and look at the mulies and antelope.

Guarantee you have a better chance of seeing an elk at suffield then you do in your living room in december.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwilly View Post
Can't believe someone would recommend not going at all.

Put the tag in your pocket, go for a walk and look at the mulies and antelope.

Guarantee you have a better chance of seeing an elk at suffield then you do in your living room in december.
X2 ....... beats the hell out of sitting on your couch. I have a January tag, and i will be out there dawn to dusk every day. if I do not harvest an animal I will count my blessings for having had the privilege to spend time in an ecosystem that the average person will never see.

Sounds like fireballs last trip to Suffield, and that he had to work for his elk God forbid ....... more tags for those who truly appreciate the opportunity and the place

Last edited by lone wolf; 12-08-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:22 PM

Default Suffield hunt

I was drawn this year for Dec 4-7.
We were successful last year, I was the helper and we got a cow in the NWA.
Had the plan to hit the NWA first thing and we did. Didn’t see much after a good hike in. Back at the truck a nice CO gave us a tip about a heard of 200 in the general area. We headed over and harvested a beauty cow. When we checked out the numbers were 7 bulls and 11 cows that day(1st day). Stayed the second day to help a couple of guys out we met the first day. Left that night because the weather was getting warm. I did submit the head for testing. Overall great trip. Base personnel were fantastic and the CO was great.