Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-07-2017, 04:51 PM

Default Africa 2019

I did it. I put down the deposit on a hunt in the Eastern Cape, with KMG Safaris. Putting everything together now, lots of paperwork. I'm going to take my Dad's old moose rifle with me...it's a Parker-Hale 1200 that I dropped into a Boyd's laminated stock, and bedded with Devcon. One of the most accurate rifles I've ever fired. I plan on shooting Barnes 165 grain TTSX bullets. The whole trip will be a month long...12 days with KMG, six-seven on a tour to/in Capetown, then a few days in Germany on the way back. It's a little less than two years away, but it will come fast. Very excited.

LR
Old 08-07-2017, 05:07 PM

I'm typing in the color of my envy.
You will be surprised at how addicting hunting in Africa can be. I was there 3 years ago and have plans to head back this time to do more fishing than hunting.
Here is a forum that is full of info:
www.africahunting.com

Good Luck,

RJ
Old 08-07-2017, 05:30 PM
Banned

Heartfelt congratulations on your trip. And best of luck.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:01 PM

Jealous squared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiegeRiver View Post
I did it. I put down the deposit on a hunt in the Eastern Cape, with KMG Safaris. Putting everything together now, lots of paperwork. I'm going to take my Dad's old moose rifle with me...it's a Parker-Hale 1200 that I dropped into a Boyd's laminated stock, and bedded with Devcon. One of the most accurate rifles I've ever fired. I plan on shooting Barnes 165 grain TTSX bullets. The whole trip will be a month long...12 days with KMG, six-seven on a tour to/in Capetown, then a few days in Germany on the way back. It's a little less than two years away, but it will come fast. Very excited.

LR
Congratulations on booking your hunt!
I'm excited for you. I was there 3 years ago, and have been planning to get back ever since. Cape Town is a beautiful city, full of things to do. If you have some questions, feel free to PM me. Maybe I can help you out.
Best of luck!
Old 08-08-2017, 11:30 AM

I would recommend that you check into having your gun in Germany for those few days. Paper work is key for traveling with a firearm. The other thing I would check into a company called Air 2000, they help get your firearm into South Africa. With Air 2000 the paper work was easier for SA then it was for the paper work to get your gun back into Canada.
Good luck and and enjoy your trip. Hunt Africa and you will be hooked for life.

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:37 AM

Layover in Germany will need firearm stuff taken care of before you stay there. Make sure you get your Export paperwork to leave Canada as well or you could loose your gun when you get home too. Lots don't know about that part. It can take some time to get that done as well. Make sure your trophies are cared for by the skinners. WAY too many hides I have seen get ruined by not proper care by skinners.
Sometimes taxidermy is cheaper there but make sure you check the work done as there is a ton of crappy taxidermists there.
If I was to do it again I would get all Euro mounts done there for sure and also all the dry tanning for Leather of the backskins. Also it is cheap to get gun cases and stuff like that made there...
Old 08-08-2017, 12:16 PM

Also remember South Africa is a wreck right now and for the foreseeable future.
Blacks killing whites in all the city's.
Lots of white farmers getting murdered.
I know lots of the safari company's pick you up in the airport and get you the hell out of the city.
Be carefull!
Once out of the cities then you will have a great time.
I have family over there, and there are a lot of horror stories right now.
WOrst that it has ever been.
Have a great time hunting though, no one I have talked to has had any problems once you get out to the hunting grounds.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:04 PM

Also talk to your PH about doing some night hunting for some small cats and stuff. It is a hoot and an experience for sure that you need to try.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Also talk to your PH about doing some night hunting for some small cats and stuff. It is a hoot and an experience for sure that you need to try.
Absolutely! Black Back jackals for sure. Caracols and hyena's are out as well.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcreg View Post
Absolutely! Black Back jackals for sure. Caracols and hyena's are out as well.
civits, wildcats and servals also.
I had a blast spotlighting. It's not as easy as you would think
Old 08-08-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
Also remember South Africa is a wreck right now and for the foreseeable future.
Blacks killing whites in all the city's.
Lots of white farmers getting murdered.
I know lots of the safari company's pick you up in the airport and get you the hell out of the city.
Be carefull!
Once out of the cities then you will have a great time.
I have family over there, and there are a lot of horror stories right now.
WOrst that it has ever been.
Have a great time hunting though, no one I have talked to has had any problems once you get out to the hunting grounds.
GOOD ADVICE!!! Many S. African Safari Companies are offering exceptional deals right now because of it. For example, I have a S.African friend of mine that is offering a 7 day/ 10 animal hunt for $2000 and/or a 10 day / 20 animal hunt for $3000 everything included. That's 50% of his normal rate. He's a great PH and hunts some very exclusive properties, with their our armed security. When I spoke to him a couple of weeks ago he mentioned even the "rural" areas weren't that safe anymore. In fact, another mutual friend of ours had to literally shoot his way out of a situation and has suspended all his hunts until things get better, if ever they do? Now that Nelson Mandela is gone I'm not sure S. Africa will be the same for a long time.
Hopefully, things will have improved by 2017!