Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 09:06 AM

I think that signs would be a collosal waste of time , for one , dogs don't read.
A sign isn't going to help you get a dog out of s share it trap .
Common sense and a good set of bypas cutters will however .
I have said this before , there are far more prevelant dangers out there fir bird dogs and hounds than snares
Cat
Old 11-19-2016, 03:20 PM

Default Snares

If someone cuts my snare, I want $50 for the coyote that snare would have caught. It took time and money to set that snare. If I cause a reduction in someones income, I should make it right.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
If someone cuts my snare, I want $50 for the coyote that snare would have caught. It took time and money to set that snare. If I cause a reduction in someones income, I should make it right.
I agree but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a dog owner to say " sorry my dog wasn't under my control and wound up where he wasn't supposed to be. What do I owe you?"
Not many people hold themselves accountable anymore.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:58 PM

They need to ban pheasant/hun/sharptail hunting from oct 25 on....problem solved
Old 11-19-2016, 06:09 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
They need to ban pheasant/hun/sharptail hunting from oct 25 on....problem solved
...or ban snaring while an upland bird season is open?... ....
Old 11-19-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
...or ban snaring while an upland bird season is open?... ....
I'm going to approach our local bio about either moving the pheasant season two weeks earlier, or starting trapping on Dec. 1. Who knows how that will be received.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-19-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
I would gladly pay for the snare but certainly would not pay for anything that MAY have gotten caught in it. fro he time notified you to the time you got around to replacing it.
Cat
Old 11-19-2016, 06:21 PM

Better yet, ban bird hunting on land that trappers have their sets on.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:22 PM

I'd gladly pay it if I had to cut it, provided it was allowed to be there.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
Better yet, ban bird hunting on land that trappers have their sets on.
You people really have to get a realistic attitude.Banning EITHER is not the way.
Their are risks involved when running bird dogs and hounds, and financial risks involved in getting traps and snares disturbed.
Both parties have to learn to deal with those risks and be done with it.
Cat
Old 11-19-2016, 06:28 PM

These practices have coexisted for a LONG TIME. Extending the bird season seemed odd to me.

LC
Old 11-19-2016, 06:40 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Ban this, ban that...not the answer.
Responsible hunting/trapping is what needs to take place.
Work together.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-19-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
You people really have to get a realistic attitude.Banning EITHER is not the way.
Their are risks involved when running bird dogs and hounds, and financial risks involved in getting traps and snares disturbed.
Cat
I've resisted commenting on this topic due to its inflammatory nature. Cat has it right in my opinion.

If you cut your dog out of one of my snares there's no need to reimburse me for the snare. I'll consider it a cost of doing business and be glad your dog is ok. A note would be appreciated if possible so I'm not thinking someone is stealing coyotes.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Cat
Apparently "you people" missed the sarcasm so I'll type slower.
My point is that one group should not have to change for accommodate another's.
Banning snaring or limiting where and when is an attack on all hunting/ trapping activities that is our lifestyle.
You can't blame snares anymore than you can blame the driver that hit your dog that was on the road.
Limiting where and when snares can be used leads to a total trapping ban.
After that, hunting is next on the chopping block.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
I've resisted commenting on this topic due to its inflammatory nature. Cat has it right in my opinion.

If you cut your dog out of one of my snares there's no need to reimburse me for the snare. I'll consider it a cost of doing business and be glad your dog is ok. A note would be appreciated if possible so I'm not thinking someone is stealing coyotes.
I'm actually glad that I never had a pen and paper with me when it happened as I would have left a note that I would not have been proud of. Having said that, the dog had a bird in it's mouth and I'm pretty sure with the blood and pheasant feathers laying around, whomever it was will be able to figure out what happened and know that no one stole a coyote.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-19-2016, 07:09 PM

Do you think the other member was being sarcastic when he stated he was going to try was going to talk to the area BIO to get the trapping season or the bird season closed earlier?
I certainly didn't, s why should I assume your post was a sarcastic response?
Cat
Old 11-19-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post

ThanksTfng, My blood pressure was starting to get out of control from the attitude of some of these " Trappers" !!
Old 11-19-2016, 07:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I'm going to approach our local bio about either moving the pheasant season two weeks earlier, or starting trapping on Dec. 1. Who knows how that will be received.
I don't follow this logic at all. No one is holding a gun to your head making you take your dog out hunting so if you think that it's too dangerous to do, do you really need the government to make it illegal for you so you don't do it? You took your dog to an area that you knew was heavily snared and now you want the rules changed because he got caught in one. The GOA extended the bird season to accommodate bird hunters and you want to undo it to keep everyone safe from themselves?

As far as changing what people can do on their own property, or allow someone else to do, just don't trespass or allow your dog to trespass and there's no problem.

Last edited by catnthehat; 11-19-2016 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Do you think the other member was being sarcastic when he stated he was going to try was going to talk to the area BIO to get the trapping season or the bird season closed earlier?
I certainly didn't, s why should I assume your post was a sarcastic response?
Cat
Ah, maybe because it was the third stupid ban statement in a row.
Next time I'll use /S or SNH.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:44 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
Ah, maybe because it was the third stupid ban statement in a row.
Next time I'll use /S or SNH.
...and the first two that mentioned "banning" had smilie faces ...indicating making a joke about how quick everyone wants something "banned" these days...sheesh!!!
Old 11-19-2016, 09:12 PM
Banned

This is brutal. Looks like you got two undeserved incidents. Glad to hear your pup is alright. As for the topic...sigh, just another day on AO...
Old 11-19-2016, 10:00 PM

I have a question does the dog wag the tail or does the tail wag the dog. It seems that in these recent times it is easier to have the "establishment" dictate what we are to do than get together by working with each other for a "more harmonious outcome".
Old 11-19-2016, 11:45 PM

My dog has now been in 3 snares. I wish they would post trap lines so I know where I shouldn't run my dog. I think that would be an easy fix to the potential problem.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Gusto View Post
My dog has now been in 3 snares. I wish they would post trap lines so I know where I shouldn't run my dog. I think that would be an easy fix to the potential problem.
Whoa , just a minute !! A couple questions for ya, were you on land that you had permission on ? If so were you not told that there were snares there ? Did the person setting snares have permission to be there ? Have you bought a lotto ticket yet ?, cause with your luck a big win is headed your way . I'm not being sarcastic with any of these questions except the last one . Glad your dog has been so fortunate .
Old 11-20-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Cat
Exactly cat , we'd better be darn sure we are doing the right thing by stopping a certain activity , it can sometimes be difficult or even impossible to recover i.e. grizzly hunt . Where did that put us ? Marking or signing a trapline is not the same as marking your bear bait . It can let certain unsavory individuals know that there is a possible buck to be made by stealing ones catch . Ask Marty or a bunch of us guys how it feels to have your coyotes stolen or blown to pieces in a trap . Yes , now I'll get the comment about how does it feel to have your dog caught in someones snare , right ? Well first off if the snare has been set illegally I can understand your pain , but if you are trespassing that's a chance you will have to take . I personally avoid setting snares in bird hunting ares until after seasons close and only set on property with permission , even going so far as to not set close to residences where dogs are present even if I have permission to do so on such lands . Banning ? Be careful what you ask for , your activity could be next .
Old 11-20-2016, 07:43 AM
AO Sponsor

While carrying the cable cutters that you believe that you may need at some point in time, which is an admission that you are fully aware that trapping season is underway and that licenced trappers are legally allowed to use neck snares, and that you expect conflict because you are hunting an area that you believe has snares set in...

While you are required to ask for landowner permission...

Please ask the landowner if he has anybody trapping on his land or if he knows if the neighbors do.

This should help a whole bunch to resolve before troubles occurs.

EID lands, no neck snares permitted on EID lands until Dec 1. Notice the words "neck snares", there may be other stuff out there.

As a trapper that works the south, I think it would be wise to identify the pheasant snaring "hotbeds" such as EID land, the north face of the Milk River Ridge, pheasant release sites plus buffer and do restrict the use of neck snares until Dec 1. Also would be real nice if we don't have pheasant seasons going on past Dec 1, in fact it would be real nice if pheasant would open and close a little earlier to reduce potential conflict.

Wise words for and bird dogging pheasanteer... don't use your dog on Hutterite lands, or if you do, ask the cattle guy if there are any snares out there. Very good idea to NOT HUNT ON HUTTERITE LAND IF YOU DONT ASK?

(Not trying to be rude, but am hoping to resolve pre-emtively)
(Bold type purpose: simply to be noticed, not to be arrogant)

Last edited by Marty S; 11-20-2016 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:04 AM

Default snare

Quote:
If I have permission to hunt on a piece of property and a dog of mine gets caught in your snare good luck....public liability is the concern not your snare placed carelessly. I hunt in Montana mainly and public signage is required and I avoid those areas.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:07 AM

This dog was snared on land next to the private land Pikergolf had permission to hunt on.
No amount of signage would have prevented this .
As far as compensation for snared cut the landowner would likely know who set them if if the permission was given .
Cat
Old 11-20-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
This dog was snared on land next to the private land Pikergolf had permission to hunt on.
No amount of signage would have prevented this .
As far as compensation for snared cut the landowner would likely know who set them if if the permission was given .
Cat
If that's the case then Piker (by way of his dog) was trespassing and he can be considered a poacher by AO standards....we all know what AO thinks of poachers. Poachers get no sympathy from me.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:46 AM

Default Snares

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppyhood1 View Post
If I have permission to hunt on a piece of property and a dog of mine gets caught in your snare good luck....public liability is the concern not your snare placed carelessly. I hunt in Montana mainly and public signage is required and I avoid those areas.
My snares are not placed carelessly, they are placed very carefully, in a place a canine would go. Thats the whole idea. When your pooch gets caught and you stomp around getting it out, you have wrecked that set location, and you owe me a coyote. If you think that snare may not catch a coyote, fox, or lynx. Once in 12 snares there was 11 coyotes.
Closed Thread