Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 03:15 PM

Default Dog got caught in a snare today pheasant hunting.

Thankfully I had bought a couple of cable cutters for my brother and I. He was able to free her after he located her. Took about 45 seconds to get to her, thankfully it was not a ram set. I am more than a little upset, prime pheasant country. As far as I am concerned it should be illegal to set up snares before Dec. 1 in the south. Rant over.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-16-2016, 03:44 PM

I'm glad the dog is ok; good thinking on the wire cutters
Old 11-16-2016, 03:48 PM

I agree with you. I have zero issue with people wanting to snare coyotes, but I really don't enjoy the thought of legally hunting with my hounds and worrying about losing a hound to a snare. For birds, the Dec timeframe makes sense, for hounds not so much. I wish that there were a handful of dog-only hunting lands, though I'm sure people will flame me for the suggestion.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:56 PM

Good to hear the dog is ok. Agree that snaring shouldn't be aloud on public lands until December 1.

I too carry a good set of wire cutters.

BW
Old 11-16-2016, 04:02 PM
Banned

So very glad that your dog is unharmed pikergolf. Good thing that you had the right tool.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:07 PM

Hopefully I never have to use them, but I purchased a set of cable cutters from Acklands just in case. Normal side cutters and the standard wire cutters built into linesman's pliers are pretty much useless for cutting steel cable.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:36 PM
Banned

Default What area ....

I'm carrying so many tools I'm falling over .....I bought cable cutters
This year as well ......just wondering if that was a legal set ....
PM me if you like I'm heading down south of Magrath for a few days next week
Old 11-16-2016, 05:27 PM
Banned

Where was this? On crown land or private property? Do you have a picture of the snare?
Old 11-16-2016, 05:46 PM
Banned

There are no warnings required for snares and they can be set 10 feet from a guys house legally. Baits are the same but if you are shooting bears, wolves, or other animals over bait there are regulations about everything, but not for trapping. If snares are set on public land there should be warnings for the public or killing snares and large conibear style traps not allowed period. On private land distances and warnings for private dwellings should be required too. The way it is you have a very few people putting thousands at risk, and for what?
Old 11-16-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Where was this? On crown land or private property? Do you have a picture of the snare?
Private property, the snare was on a fence line of property we had permission on and property we never asked about. Dogs have no respect for property lines and she crossed in a natural funnel area. No, no picture but it was set up in probably the best place for both properties, like I said a natural funnel.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-16-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Thankfully I had bought a couple of cable cutters for my brother and I. He was able to free her after he located her. Took about 45 seconds to get to her, thankfully it was not a ram set. I am more than a little upset, prime pheasant country. As far as I am concerned it should be illegal to set up snares before Dec. 1 in the south. Rant over.
This is why I wonder why they extended the bird season last year....I am pretty sure a few of us brought up hunters pups being in danger.

LC
Old 11-16-2016, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
This is why I wonder why they extended the bird season last year....I am pretty sure a few of us brought up hunters pups being in danger.

LC
The season is only extended in areas where they don't expect them to make the winter. In the south with it's wild birds it is close Nov. 30.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-16-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
The season is only extended in areas where they don't expect them to make the winter. In the south with it's wild birds it is close Nov. 30.
Pretty sure he grouse season is extended in those zones as well?

Good reminder to everyone that there is more than one activity going on at any given time.

LC
Old 11-16-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Private property, the snare was on a fence line of property we had permission on and property we never asked about. Dogs have no respect for property lines and she crossed in a natural funnel area. No, no picture but it was set up in probably the best place for both properties, like I said a natural funnel.
Glad your dog is OK , and this is exactly why most of us trappers don't start before bird seasons end .Maybe the snareman had permission on the other property , maybe not . Like Lefty I wonder why they opened this recipe for disaster by extending the bird season . If the excuse is that some of these birds won't make the winter ,that is a poor one .. Who knows , maybe they would ? Shoot em in Dec or Jan and they won't survive it for sure .
Old 11-16-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paskell View Post
There are no warnings required for snares and they can be set 10 feet from a guys house legally. Baits are the same but if you are shooting bears, wolves, or other animals over bait there are regulations about everything, but not for trapping. If snares are set on public land there should be warnings for the public or killing snares and large conibear style traps not allowed period. On private land distances and warnings for private dwellings should be required too. The way it is you have a very few people putting thousands at risk, and for what?
If somebody wants to set a snare 10 feet from his house I don't see why you would have a problem with it.
On registered Traplines it is common knowledge that people are using killing traps, that's what trapping is. The only ones at risk are the ones with dogs running loose, I guess they are taking a chance.
On Private land when you ask permission hopefully the landowner would mention somebody snaring or trapping. And if somebody is poaching with snares then there's not much you can do but report it.

OP I'm sorry your pup got caught, and I'm glad you guys had the cutters there to get him free. Luckily I've never had the misfortune of being on either end
Old 11-16-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
As far as I am concerned it should be illegal to set up snares before Dec. 1 in the south. Rant over.
As far as I am concerned it should be illegal to hunt pheasant until after DEC .1 just saying
Old 11-16-2016, 07:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
If somebody wants to set a snare 10 feet from his house I don't see why you would have a problem with it.
On registered Traplines it is common knowledge that people are using killing traps, that's what trapping is. The only ones at risk are the ones with dogs running loose, I guess they are taking a chance.
On Private land when you ask permission hopefully the landowner would mention somebody snaring or trapping. And if somebody is poaching with snares then there's not much you can do but report it.

OP I'm sorry your pup got caught, and I'm glad you guys had the cutters there to get him free. Luckily I've never had the misfortune of being on either end
Most people don't even know what a trapline is let alone what to look for. It's also perfectly legal to have your dog off leash most places. Snares or killing traps can be set on property that is adjacent to another owners property, even if there is an occupied dwelling right there. You are right, if someone wants to set a snare 10 ft. or 5 ft. from his house he can as far as I'm concerned.

I predict that soon the right [or wrong] dog will be killed and a whole bunch of people including the government will get a very very expensive lesson in liability. There is nothing reasonable about how snares are regulated, "hopefully" doesn't cut it.
Old 11-16-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Most people don't even know what a trapline is let alone what to look for. It's also perfectly legal to have your dog off leash most places. Snares or killing traps can be set on property that is adjacent to another owners property, even if there is an occupied dwelling right there. You are right, if someone wants to set a snare 10 ft. or 5 ft. from his house he can as far as I'm concerned.

I predict that soon the right [or wrong] dog will be killed and a whole bunch of people including the government will get a very very expensive lesson in liability. There is nothing reasonable about how snares are regulated, "hopefully" doesn't cut it.
- OP said his dog crossed the boundary line. So dog was not in a legal area. Who is at fault here?

So a trapper goes through the trouble of taking the course, obtaining written permission to not only trap but also snare on private property (two different forms to complete), makes or buys his snares (boils, dyes, etc), baits locations, sets up snares, and checks every 24 hrs. But the user of the neighbour's property who can't control their dog gets upset at the trapper?

Obviously not ideal your dog got caught Pikergolf, and I'm glad things turned out for the better. But why is everyone on this thread hating on the trapper...
Old 11-16-2016, 08:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoDerrick View Post
- OP said his dog crossed the boundary line. So dog was not in a legal area. Who is at fault here?

So a trapper goes through the trouble of taking the course, obtaining written permission to not only trap but also snare on private property (two different forms to complete), makes or buys his snares (boils, dyes, etc), baits locations, sets up snares, and checks every 24 hrs. But the user of the neighbour's property who can't control their dog gets upset at the trapper?

Obviously not ideal your dog got caught Pikergolf, and I'm glad things turned out for the better. But why is everyone on this thread hating on the trapper...
Thankfully the dog is alright. I don't ever let the mutts run onto land which we don't have permission for. I don't think that anyone is "blaming" the person who set the trap up.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:20 PM

It's not a matter of letting the dog run on land to which we did not have permission on. The dog was making a retrieve through heavy cover and chose to cross the fence into an open field to bring the bird back. Had she not yelped we probably would not have found her for many minutes as she was in a most unlikely place. She chose to go around the heavy cover with the bird in her mouth rather than go back through the heavy cover. The field she was headed for had no cover, it ended abruptly at the fence.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-16-2016, 08:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoDerrick View Post

I'm not referring specifically to Pikers situation but the snaring and setting of large killing traps regulations in general are extremely lax to the point of being negligent as I have pointed out.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm not referring specifically to Pikers situation but the snaring and setting of large killing traps regulations in general are extremely lax to the point of being negligent as I have pointed out.
Time to reinvent yourself, Dwight. I think that you just blew your cover.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Time to reinvent yourself, Dwight. I think that you just blew your cover.
Was good while it lasted ..lol.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Was good while it lasted ..lol.
No need for that he does well enough on his own. I just enjoy the stimulating conversation and exceptional wit the regulars here display.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Not sure where you are getting your info. from Paskell, but you are dead wrong in your assumptions about the rules and regs. governing the setting of legal traps and snares.
I suggest you get a copy of the trapping regs or do some research on this subject. It's obvious you do not have much knowledge about trapping here in AB.
Trapping has become very regulated and more rules and regs come out each year. You also need to take a trapping course before you are allowed to do any trapping, and there are a lot of trapping workshops that you can also take.
It appears that you are trying to inflame a situation with 1/2 truths and false info. Makes me wonder why.
I'm glad you were able to free your dog with no harm done, Piker. Your right about dogs ignoring silly things like a property line. A good pair of cutters is a smart thing to have in your field kit.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Hopefully I never have to use them, but I purchased a set of cable cutters from Acklands just in case. Normal side cutters and the standard wire cutters built into linesman's pliers are pretty much useless for cutting steel cable.
I would think your pretty safe where you hunt.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angery jonn View Post
I would think your pretty safe where you hunt.
I plan on hunting other locations in the future, so better to be prepared than to need a tool and not have it.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:32 AM

Very true!
Old 11-17-2016, 12:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Not sure where you are getting your info. from Paskell, but you are dead wrong in your assumptions about the rules and regs. governing the setting of legal traps and snares.
I suggest you get a copy of the trapping regs or do some research on this subject. It's obvious you do not have much knowledge about trapping here in AB.
Trapping has become very regulated and more rules and regs come out each year. You also need to take a trapping course before you are allowed to do any trapping, and there are a lot of trapping workshops that you can also take.
It appears that you are trying to inflame a situation with 1/2 truths and false info. Makes me wonder why.
I'm glad you were able to free your dog with no harm done, Piker. Your right about dogs ignoring silly things like a property line. A good pair of cutters is a smart thing to have in your field kit.
I am very familiar with the regulations and am not wrong. Give me one instance of a statement I have made that is wrong. Be specific because regulations are specific. I am looking forward to your reply.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:05 PM

Default Where?

Can you share roughly where this took place to that others don't encounter?

Thanks
Closed Thread