Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-31-2015, 04:21 PM

Default Whitefish Question

Hey Guys,

I recently started fly fishing about a year ago, I have read a few of the posts on here; but have never posted... until now.

I have been out on the Lil' Red Deer a couple of times and caught quite a few fish (for me). Anytime I fish anything but dry fly; they are all Whitefish. At this point, I'm happy to catch anything but is there something that I can do to pull in more trout; less whitefish?

I wondered if I need to look for a different type of water, or fly, or presentation?

Or is this just the way it is on this river?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:31 PM

I think it probably has something to do with the water you are fishing. Personally, I don't have a lot of luck with whitefish in faster moving sections, or in area's that aren't pooled up. Try nymphing from just above the head of a pool, and letting it drift over and in. That works for me on creeks for trout.

As far as big river goes, I'm no good. I tend to only fish the small water! Try faster moving water though would by my bet.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:06 PM

In my experience the browns hang out under structure, typically trees and are rarely in an open run or pool on the little red. I think I've only pulled a few whites out of there, but do see them schooling in deep, very slow water.