Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-17-2015, 11:07 AM

Default ultimate family & fly-fishing camping spot

Hi there, looking for some suggestions. Want to take the family camping (tent) this summer and looking for a spot that would cater to most of our desires. We have 4 kids (1,3,7,9) so a play park and lake with beach is ideal but the older boys and I also want to be bale to go fly-fishing. We would prefer a good river where we can wade and potentially do a couple of drifts with pontoons. Any suggestions in AB or BC?

Big thanks!
Old 05-17-2015, 11:41 AM

I would take a look at Koocanusa where one of the rivers flow into it like the Elk or similar. It would give you everything you are looking for with some much better than average fishing opportunities. I don't believe there is anything in Alberta that would come close to what South Eastern B.C. has to offer for your family. You could also check some of the natural attractions like hot springs, watchable wildlife etc that may be available in some areas.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:30 AM

Smile

Wow 4 kids and your tenting it. Good on ya. You've got your hands full for sure. Not sure how your going to get much fishing in with that bunch. Knouff Lake north of Kamloops is good. Fishing is usually pretty good. They have a good playground for the kids. I've been to a lot of lakes. Not many have playgrounds. Crimson Lake north west of Rocky has a roped off swimming/beach area. It has camping right near the swimming area.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:39 AM

Thanks for the replies! I will look into all of the suggestions. Stopped at Koocanusa last year for the day, looked liked a pretty good lake with some good camping options. Was wondering if anyone fished the Elk where it connects in with the lake?

The 4 sure keeps us busy but it also makes it a "fun" challenge. The eldest is starting to fly cast so at least have one buddy to go exploring with me :-)

Thanks again
Old 05-19-2015, 02:02 PM

Camp at Kookanoosa and fish Surveyors (bring a little boat or canoe and fish the other side of the bridge) for bass. SUPER fun on the fly (bring poppers and big fluffy dry flies). Not sure how old your children are but it's a great lake to swim (bring water shoes) and watch the turtles. The beach can get very busy so get out on the water and stay out there.

If you fish any flowing waters in BC (i.e., the elk as you mentioned) you will have to pay an extra $20 surcharge for fishing classified water per day!!

-Confucius
Old 05-19-2015, 04:04 PM

I'd echo other's recommendations for Surveyor's Campground at Kikomun Creek-- an awesome camping spot for kids, and probably one of the best we've ever done with our little ones. People from Lethbridge head there in droves every year, and because of that it can be a little hard to book a spot there around weekends throughout the summer. They do have some first-come first serve sites if you want to try your luck. Baynes Lake is near there too, and I understand it is stocked by the B.C. Freshwater folks; never fished it myself, but hope to on our next trip out.

If you are headed to Southwest B.C., Chinook Lake in the Crowsnest Pass is great for a night or two. We love it, because it is so close, but it is more rustic and is not in the same league as Kikomun. Not ideal for little kids, as the beach is small and the water is pretty cold (though our kids never seemed to mind). Chinook is stocked as well, but difficult to fly fish from the shore. There, you are also literally minutes from fishing on the Crow.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:59 PM
Banned

Koocanusa.

The kids want to have fun. For them fishing is boring. Let them go exploring.

And everyone forgets about "Daddy Time".

And Mommy Time too.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:38 PM
Banned

Koocanusa x 2, although I camp on crown land, tenting as well. Expect some bees later in the summer, make some syrup traps.

My 3 year old loves it there, never once in 4 days did he ask for TV or home.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
Wow 4 kids and your tenting it. Good on ya. You've got your hands full for sure. Not sure how your going to get much fishing in with that bunch. Knouff Lake north of Kamloops is good. Fishing is usually pretty good. They have a good playground for the kids. I've been to a lot of lakes. Not many have playgrounds. Crimson Lake north west of Rocky has a roped off swimming/beach area. It has camping right near the swimming area.
I second Knouff lake, good fishing and good with kids, nice and out of the way too.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:47 AM

I am leaning towards Koocanusa and will take a I we look at Knouff lake :-). Thanks so much for all the suggestions, info and insights! That $20 fee for the Elk is a bit crazy but I guess it serves it purpose. Anyone knows of streams, don't mind a hike, that would not require the fee and has some good trout. I like the lakes and looking forward to caching bass on the fly rod but would also like to fish some of the rivers. Thanks again
Old 05-20-2015, 07:13 PM

I almost hate to give up my all time favourite spot for fly fishing, but we're far enough away it won't affect it too much. If your ever in the Hope BC area the Skagit River is amazing!!! You can camp on the north end of Ross lake, great spot for kids. It is a great wade after the run off water drops. Great pontoon drift anytime. Well worth the drive... As much of a cluster flock as the lower mainland is, I'd move back in a heartbeat just to be able to fish it one a weekly basis. Plus you have all the salmon rivers to give you a little variety,, what more could you ask for. 2nd choice would be northern BC. Skeena, Kispiox, etc, etc,,

Last edited by abbgdr; 05-20-2015 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:16 PM

Yes! I agree that Koocanusa is a great place! Just perfect for camping as well. Just FYI, The bigger fish will be showing more as the winter progresses!
Old 05-24-2015, 05:32 PM

Koocanusa is a great area. With your pontoon, there is a different lake to fish every day for a couple of wks, no sweat.. There are trout lakes, bass & perch lakes galore around there. Used to be, if you could get thru the bass at Baynes, could get some decent perch, 12-14", and they were putting brood trout in there a few yrs back. Tie Lk has some big bass in it, and some sunfish,but, it has skiers on it also. Suzanne has trout and bass. Loon has trout, and crayfish.
There is a pothole lk on the west side of the river that has some good perch in it. And there is a stocked lake west of Jaffray, east of the river, that has some fast growing trout in it, it often winterkills though.
Kids will like the turtles, most of the lakes there have them, they can catch bass til their arms fall off in Baynes.
Plenty of bug hatches to watch, no shortage of wildlife to see.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:26 PM

Smile

I was out in BC on the weekend and talking with a few buddies with kids. Their #1 recommendation for a place to go with kids was Salmon Lake at Douglas Lake Ranch. Apparently they say there is a huge kids play area there. One said it was an acre or more. But I don't remember seeing it when I was there last. But I was only there for the fishing. Not to swing on the swing set. Apparently they even have a pool for the kids.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:33 PM

I'll throw another one out for Kookanusa.....The Elk is my Favorite river to fish, plus all the other lakes in the area make it an Anglers dream. I seem to get there at the wrong time the last few years but still an awesome area. I've seen some massive bull trout pulled out of there and the Wigwam...