Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-27-2008, 08:02 AM

Default Left Hand...rifle decision

I am looking to buy a new rifle that will last me a long time. I have decided on 7mm for the calibre. I am left handed so it limits my options. I would like something with a Stainless barrel. I have narrowed it down to the Tikka T3 lite and the Remington 700 XCR. I hear the Tikka's are cheaply built with plastic components and I also hear that Remington has QC issues. Can you please help me with my decision? The prices are a couple hundred difference, I don't mind paying a bit more if the gun will last me a long time. I already have a Leupold scope that I will put on. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:05 AM

Just bought a T3 Tika LH in 270 WSM and although the T3 looks like a "cheaply" built gun it is a very functional, accurate and smooth operating rifle. It is also one of the few LH rifles with a detachable clip. It is definitely good value for the money you can get this gun for. I believe there are many T3 owners on this forum that will backup my opinion. Being LH really limits what is available in quality fair priced rifles.
wapiti11
Old 10-27-2008, 09:16 AM

got a buddy with th XCR rem in 270 and it is a beautiful gun and shoots very well 3 shot group 3/4 @100
Old 10-27-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wapiti11 View Post
Just bought a T3 Tika LH in 270 WSM and although the T3 looks like a "cheaply" built gun it is a very functional, accurate and smooth operating rifle. It is also one of the few LH rifles with a detachable clip. It is definitely good value for the money you can get this gun for. I believe there are many T3 owners on this forum that will backup my opinion. Being LH really limits what is available in quality fair priced rifles.
wapiti11

Have one also in 300wsm and like you say it looks cheap but really isn't. Was in the gun store the other day listening to the salesman make his pitch about the T3-took the plastic clip out and stood on it and didn't break.

Have a couple of remmies, couple of savages, a winchester and a tikka in left hand and I have to say that my remmie cdl is probably my favorite with the tikka a close second.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:24 PM

I had to look hard myself for a lefty rifle, I decided to go with the Tikka, feels real nice, comfortable, great accuracy, light and easy to lug around in the bush. I went with a 30-06 model.
Have to agree with the cheap looking part, but as I understand they took the clip out and froze it and ran it over with trucks. so I got my first deer with iut and am going in a couple weeks for my next two
Old 10-28-2008, 06:29 AM

I also bought a T3 lite lefty in 270 wsm. I love the gun and it functions very well and has a nice trigger on it. The only options you will have are remington, savage , Tikka and Sako, Ruger and you see the odd used winchester. The reason I went with Tikka is the detachable clip. The savage in 270 wsm will only hold 2 rounds.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:48 AM

If you want a gun that you just want to "shoot" and not planning to upgrade in the future then buy the Tikka. If you plan to customize in the future, barrel, stock, trigger, etc.. then but the Remington.

The odds are that the Tikka will shoot better out of the box- but there are no absolutes in this.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:48 AM

I would suggest going to a few places and shoulder them, you may be surprised at the one you find most comfortable

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 10-28-2008, 12:37 PM

I went to a shop and closely looked at both. I am going with the Remington. Thanks for the help. It was a tough decision.