Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-26-2008, 10:35 PM

Default Reloading Equipment Manufacturers

Well I'm about to take the plunge and start reloading next year.

Just beginning my research on the subject and can't think of a better place to start asking questions than the old AO Forum.

Which equipment manufacturers do the reloaders here reccommend? Or for that matter which are most commonly available in Canada/Alberta?

I will be reloading only one calibre .243 Win. My main purpose is to be able to load ammunition with bullets that are not easily available as commercial stock, like the Barnes Varmint Grenades, and maybe some of the long range Berger line up.

I enjoy long range shooting and it seems to me that ammunition building would seem to add a bit of the home made flavor to my shooting.

Initially I know the cost will pinch a bit, but in the long run I think I could save a bit of green, especially if I get to like shooting gophers with this gun.

Also, for those that already do this, is it reccomended to get a Chorograph up front as well, or can you do without?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:43 PM

Hi Sputnik

I have been using RCBS reloading presses and dies for years and am more than happy with them.
As far as your question about chronographs,if you can afford one its a nice tool to have,everything from figuring out how you want to sight in,to helping determine if pressures may be excesive.
Its simlpe physics,if you are getting higher velocities than normal then pressures are probably as well

Do some readind,grab a couple good manuals and read cover to cover then have at it

Good luck
Ian
Old 10-27-2008, 01:33 AM

A chronograph is a great help in terms of gaining insights into what is going on as you work up a load. I borrow my club's chronograph and keep good records and have over a couple years developped a sense of what velocities usually work best for my rifle. It is surprising how a given manual's recipe does not necessarily yield the printed velocities...which teaches you that each rifle yields different results. This info also helps keep you on the safe side of the pressure range.

Another great source of insights is to use some sort of gauge and micrometer that allows you to actually measure/check your chamber and cartridge dimensions. The chamber to cartridge relationship is crucial to accuracy and safety. Knowing the chamber length is particularly useful when resizing brass as it is easy to overwork brass which leads to premature work hardening = case rupture under fire. Also, knowing where the lands start is useful in optimizing bullet seated depth, which may prevent pressure spikes or a bullet stuck in the lands when you make your rifle safe (apparently there is nothing quite like a stuck bullet and an action full of spilt powder to ruin the day's hunt).

I am new to reloading and still have much to learn. One of the things to learn is what steps really matter, and which ones are optional. If you are just plinking and hunting, you need not go crazy reaming flash holes, weighing bullets and brass, and spending time and mucho $$ to get benchrest-sized groups.

But no matter what your personal accuracy and consistency goals are,
I believe a chrono and a good set of cartridge/chamber gauges will let you know what your dies and loads are actually doing.

And they'll help keep you and your range buddies safe.

Reloading is great fun.

Last edited by twofifty; 10-27-2008 at 01:38 AM.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:16 AM

I'm a big fan of RCBS stuff... I've been using my Rockchucker press for over 25 years now and it still works as good as it did the day that I bought it. RCBS has a reputation for excellent customer service that really can't be beat. I lost a few parts for my Uniflow powder thrower once when I moved, so I called RCBS to see if I could buy replacements. They sent me the parts for free, and I've heard of other guys breaking parts and again, RCBS replaces the parts for free. I'd recommend looking at an RCBS Rockchucker kit... it comes with pretty much everything you need to get started, less the dies and shell holder for the cartridge(s) that you want to reload.

If you are on more of a budget, take a look at some of the Lee stuff.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:55 AM
Banned

I have reloaded for well in excess of 100 big and small bore rifles since January, 1968, plus several handguns. I usually load 2000+ big bore rounds per annum.

I have gear from many sources, but, my preference in readily available equipment is RCBS and Redding. I have had two RCBS presses, my current "Big Max" was bought new in 1982, has loaded tens of thousands of rounds and is still like new; I second the suggestion for a "Rockchucker " kit, only, I would buy the "Master" version with the larger RC press as it gives more room for loading .375H&H and .416 Rigby rounds, etc.

Reloading, which I am going to spend all today on, can be a lot of fun and can help your shooting tremendously; it will NOT save you money, as you WILL end up shooting more and spending more on gear, conponents and general testing.

I have used a half-dozen chronographs and successfully loaded for many rifles for YEARS without one. The MOST important aspect of reloading is SAFETY, buy and READ the Nosler #6 and Hodgedon #27 manuals AS A MINIMUM and KEEP re-reading them as you learn.

The Chronys that sell for about $150.00 ARE a good thing to have, BUT, velocities and chamber/bore pressures, while RELATED, ARE NOT lineal and you CANNOT determine your pressures with a chronograph, all bullschit by some gunwriters notwithstanding.

I also suggest buying "Pet Loads" by Ken Waters, this is a huge book and written by a true master of the game. I further suggest buying, in time, the manuals from Swift and Barnes, IF, you intend to load their bullets. ANY of the CURRENT manuals are worth buying, IF, you READ them, but, the two I first mentioned are the most useful, overall.

HTH, take your time, safety first and keep on asking questions, it is a lifelong learning process.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:01 AM

Most of the brands of reloading equipment will work just fine, However, I have had such positive experience with RCBS and their service and warranty, I buy their stuff exclusively now.

I have a chronograph, and only use it sporadically. I would personally put it on the "nice to have" list, and get it later if money is a concern.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:19 PM

RCBS press for sure!! Go with the Rock Chucker (supreme). For dies I use Hornady. I have tried several others and for the price I am happy with the New Dimension. For the rest of the stuff Buy the best you can afford. Lyman, Redding and Forster are all high quality. The first Hornady die set I had did not fit the old press (over 30 years old)I was using. I called Hornady and with in 3 days I had a new die. Air mail!! Read all the info you can before you get started and look for a friend that has been diong it for a while to help. Not sure where you live but many guys would be happy to get you going. I have been reloading for over 15 years and if you are close to me I would be glad to help. I do not know everything but could get you started.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:42 PM

Another + from an RCBS user.Been using the same press going on 30 years now.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:36 PM

Default Reload

RCBS is what I started with and still use upgrading to digital scale/powder throw, recently purchased Hornady dies for my 270WSM, dies work in the RCBS press. Was very happy with the Hornady dies (small adjustments to seating depth and crimp much better than the RCBS dies. Will buy Hornady dies from now on.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:03 PM

Rcbs starter kits are available in 2 formats.The one with the rock chucker press is about all you need for what you wish to do. Add to that a few good manuels like barnes and nosler and your off to the races.Pretty fun stuff once you get going.If you can afford it a chronegraph is very handy.Once you know the velocities your are getting you can get true ballistics for your home rolled loads and know where things are going.just my 2 cents.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:14 PM

Default Re-Loading

Thanks for all the responses, that is just what I was looking for, not too much detail, but enough to point me in the right direction as a start.

I think I'll move the chrony into the should have column because to me MV is one of the basic pieces of ballistic data that you need to predict POI. I have used ballistics that comes with commercially loaded ammo as a starting point for years, but I want to be sure of what I'm getting with my own product.

Thanks for all the advice, I guess I have a bit more studying to do. I think I will purchase some of the volumes suggested here and do a little winter reading while waiting on my new rifle.

I think your right Kutenay this is not going to save me a whole bunch if I get enthused about re-loading and start shooting a bunch more. Oh well that's why we work I guess, to support our addictions!

Happy Hunting all and keep the info coming.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:48 PM

One more thing, if you know of an experienced handloader, ask him if you can drop by and see the whole process - nothing like having a mentor steer you in the right direction.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:10 PM

Default Friend who loads.

I do have an old friend who re-loads, and I think he needs a bottle of whiskey.

Thanks again for the advice.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:56 AM

Do Not drink the whiskey until after you are done reloading. Just a thought.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:54 PM

Default Whiskey

Oh I don't know....a dram of whiskey....then a dram of powder....could work out.

I'll tell you when we start testing the ammo and you can keep an eye on the horizon for a mushroom cloud!