Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-13-2013, 04:07 PM

Default HSM Bear Load

There was a thread posted in the early summer on this but I'm curious if any new information has come up, and I'm not really keen on getting flamed for reviving old threads.

Does anyone here have first hand experience with the HSM Bear Loads in 45-70? I purchased a couple boxes at Cabela's as they are about the only P+ factory loaded ammunition we can get here.

My main concern is their use for hunting, ie is the 'hardcast' 430 gr pill considered an expanding boolit? While I firmly believe that a .458 inch hole through the boiler room of any animal in NA would be sufficient I have no desire to be in conflict with the regs. I spoke with HSM and their rep claimed that these bullets will not expand as they were primarily developed for penetration, perhaps I just don't want to believe him as these look like awesome moose medicine and I already have two boxes.

If anyone has experience with the load I'm real keen to learn more about it. If it can't be my hunting load I will start reloading and work up something else cool and just work through these boxes at the range with mates and save 6 for the tube on fishing trips. Mixing these loads up with some Rem green box sounds like a fun game of recoil roulette.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:55 PM

I'm interested as well.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:17 AM

If you are asking if they are legal for hunting, and they are simply a hard cast bullet, then yes, they are legal.

Solid copper / gilding metal bullets without a hollow point (such as hornady's DGS) or full metal jacketed are not legal for big game in AB.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:30 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
If you are asking if they are legal for hunting, and they are simply a hard cast bullet, then yes, they are legal.

Solid copper / gilding metal bullets without a hollow point (such as hornady's DGS) or full metal jacketed are not legal for big game in AB.
Awesome, that's what I wanted to know.