Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-29-2012, 10:56 AM

Default Questions about cabins and the land they lie on.

Hey so I hope this is in the right category. I'm 22 and had back surgery on Monday from a accident a few years ago. My dad has been here helping me. I'm so thankful for him being here for me. He's retiring in the next few years. I want to get him a lil cabin so he can go enjoy nature for what it is, spend a month or two a year.

From what I understand. To build a cabin You need a trappers license and buy a line. Even if he has no desire to trap?. What would you suggest to go about this? Thanks

Old 03-29-2012, 02:42 PM

Sorry to put a damper on things, but if you want a little trapper's cabin, you pretty much are going to have to be trapper, which means taking the trapping course, getting a license, finding a trapline you can afford and trapping it! Traplines in Alberta can be very pricey so if all you want is a cabin, perhaps you can look for cabins or lots for sale near a lake or something like that.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 03-29-2012, 04:08 PM
Banned

Find yourself a farmer and/or deeded land, treed, beside a lake or river front and negotiate a lease and then do your thing. Wish you luck and i believe this is the way for you to go.....
Old 03-29-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
sorry to put a damper on things, but if you want a little trapper's cabin, you pretty much are going to have to be trapper, which means taking the trapping course, getting a license, finding a trapline you can afford and trapping it! Traplines in alberta can be very pricey so if all you want is a cabin, perhaps you can look for cabins or lots for sale near a lake or something like that.
x2 !!!
Old 03-29-2012, 09:18 PM

Default operation trapline

I had a retired friend buy a trap line last year and we repaired the out cabin on it last fall and started a new main cabin a couple of weeks ago, for exactly that reason a place to spend a couple months a year in the hills.
Now who do you see taking this away from him ?
There is a line with a couple of great log houses on it that is owned by 5 or 6 retired guys and they have had it for about 10 or 12 years now. That line has more tree stands and blinds then traps.
The fact is if you have the money you can pretty much do what you like is how I see it.
They do a bit of trapping but truly its only for fun and a way to get out.
I have spoken to a older fellow about his line and for a price its for sale to anyone with cash in hand....
In most cases a line sells for a lot less then most lake lots ... and a lot more private.
If in fact this isnt possible how is it happening right now on many lines???
sst
Old 03-29-2012, 09:51 PM

If anyone has a complaint about cabins being used inappropriately I recommend they call ASRD and register a complaint. It's their job to enforce the regulartions. Non-compliant citizens are not trappers so it isn't a trapper or ATA problem. There are any number or laws or regulations you can abuse if you want to, some with little chance of being caught, bit of a measure of a person I'd same.

At the same time I'm sympathetic to anyone who has such a passion for the outdoors that they risk tens of thousands of dollars on the gamble that it won't be taken away from them eventually. In this province there are not many opportunities to have a cabin in the woods and maybe that's not right either.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:29 PM

Default cabins

Brian, I know what your saying but truly who is going to police this?
As you know many of the lines in Alberta are not trapped to their full potential
and plane and simple there isn't anybody that can do much about it.
Like I said these lines "that I speak of" are being trapped, but on a casual or short time basis. Shoot a couple of wolves and catch a few martin to show the friends and kids.
So Unless there is a quota put on lines who's to say that people do or don't trap sufficiently enough to keep their line. Abuse of privileges is very tough to prove beyond a shadow of doubt in any type of operation including trapping. The ASRD's hands are tied with lack of personnel and reprisal for their actions. Times have changed, I would like to see how far anyone would get trying to take away a line from someone who paid say $70,000. The lawsuit would blow your mind... remember it must be proven beyond a shadow of doubt.
And NO I'm not painting all trappers with a common brush but what I see is shameful when I look back to the younger years I spent on a line with a fellow trying to earn a living to support his family.
Plain and simple Now a day "Money talks" like it or not.
So to the fellow who started this thread you bet you can get a cabin in the woods but it may take you some time to pay for it.
Good luck.
SST
Old 03-30-2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Sorry to put a damper on things, but if you want a little trapper's cabin, you pretty much are going to have to be trapper, which means taking the trapping course, getting a license, finding a trapline you can afford and trapping it! Traplines in Alberta can be very pricey so if all you want is a cabin, perhaps you can look for cabins or lots for sale near a lake or something like that.
Ok that's what I was thinking. I would take the course. It would cost me like 6 days and couple hundred bucks I'm sure. And Ive all ways wanted to try trap a few things, nothing major it would take me forever to trap enough squirrels haha. some lake lots around Lac la Biche are 60,000 to 100,000 dollers...for just the land!!

Id have to shop around but something between lac la biche and ft mac would be awesome, something quad in or drive in winter would be awesome, doesn't have to be on the lake.
Quote:
Find yourself a farmer and/or deeded land, treed, beside a lake or river front and negotiate a lease and then do your thing. Wish you luck and i believe this is the way for you to go.....
Sounds like a good idea, keep it neat and tidy, close gates, maby fix one or two. Would prolly cost less than a line+course fees.Thanks
Quote:
I had a retired friend buy a trap line last year and we repaired the out cabin on it last fall and started a new main cabin a couple of weeks ago, for exactly that reason a place to spend a couple months a year in the hills.
Now who do you see taking this away from him ?
There is a line with a couple of great log houses on it that is owned by 5 or 6 retired guys and they have had it for about 10 or 12 years now. That line has more tree stands and blinds then traps.
The fact is if you have the money you can pretty much do what you like is how I see it.
They do a bit of trapping but truly its only for fun and a way to get out.
I have spoken to a older fellow about his line and for a price its for sale to anyone with cash in hand....
In most cases a line sells for a lot less then most lake lots ... and a lot more private.
If in fact this isnt possible how is it happening right now on many lines???
Yea I figured money was involved lol it always does, I also agree that a line would cost less and more private as well. Not that its a bad thing, My dad need some more friends to sip by the fire. He deserves this. Great man..
Quote:
Brian, I know what your saying but truly who is going to police this?
As you know many of the lines in Alberta are not trapped to their full potential
and plane and simple there isn't anybody that can do much about it.
Like I said these lines "that I speak of" are being trapped, but on a casual or short time basis. Shoot a couple of wolves and catch a few martin to show the friends and kids.
So Unless there is a quota put on lines who's to say that people do or don't trap sufficiently enough to keep their line. Abuse of privileges is very tough to prove beyond a shadow of doubt in any type of operation including trapping. The ASRD's hands are tied with lack of personnel and reprisal for their actions. Times have changed, I would like to see how far anyone would get trying to take away a line from someone who paid say $70,000. The lawsuit would blow your mind... remember it must be proven beyond a shadow of doubt.
And NO I'm not painting all trappers with a common brush but what I see is shameful when I look back to the younger years I spent on a line with a fellow trying to earn a living to support his family.
Plain and simple Now a day "Money talks" like it or not.
So to the fellow who started this thread you bet you can get a cabin in the woods but it may take you some time to pay for it.
Good luck.
SST
Yea I could see SRD checking me out, Especially if I unknowingly set by someones line. Definitely want to do it legally, dont want a headache. And yea you gotta pay to play, But I just don't have 25,000 plus to buy a place. He doesn't need a chateau louise. It would our little spot. So now I think best thing to do is search and get an idea what lines cost. Then discuss with my pops. Or find a Landowner willing to let us hutterights set up camp.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:48 AM

Default trappers cabins

I have been hunting and guiding in n,alberta for over 20 years now ,have bought a little piece of heaven myself 150acrs ,but i have seen way to many trappers cabins? hunting cabins over the years with hunters not trappers have reported a few also with no response .i think something has to be done about this as people seem to think that they can buy a line and have what other people have had to buy, land, cabin ,anywhey im off to my land for the weekend to do whatever i want because i own it .
Old 03-30-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
anywhey im off to my land for the weekend to do whatever i want because i own it

yep own the land .. best option for sure .. enjoy your weekend

land is pretty cheap in alberta .. in our search we have seen 1/4 with a house for 90 large .. 10 acre with a mobile home for 40 large ..own the land ole son own the land ... just my 1.5 worth

wayne

Last edited by thunderheart; 03-30-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I have been hunting and guiding in n,alberta for over 20 years now ,have bought a little piece of heaven myself 150acrs ,but i have seen way to many trappers cabins? hunting cabins over the years with hunters not trappers have reported a few also with no response .i think something has to be done about this as people seem to think that they can buy a line and have what other people have had to buy, land, cabin ,anywhey im off to my land for the weekend to do whatever i want because i own it
OK big deal, Ive played the b*%$h roll here in llb for a outfitter for 3 years...with half a back and one bum foot. Ill say that I dont want step on anybody's toes. I'm just looking for ideas/leads/process for get a peice of paradise for my dad n me maby kill a deer or two (we have other places). Not taking your whole speech to offense.

Question what's the difference between taking the course and this junior program?

Course is just to get your lic and the junior program is to show you more in field work? how does that work?

From what i understand land in alberta hasn't gotten any cheaper, people are willing to pay more than my 25 thousand.

Last edited by 81critter; 03-30-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:56 AM

This thread is exactly why a change in government may be needed. I can't believe the OP of this thread would come on the trapping forum and ask for info on obtaining a trapline so his father has a nice little place to hunt out of.

I think with everyone's permission, I am going to print out this thread and forward it to the current powers that be as an exact example of what is wrong with the enforcement that is not happening in this province with regards to RFMA's.

Those with traplines who support this idea of buying a piece of paradise should really think about what they are supporting. Blatant disregard to the law seems to be a good way to put all traplines in jeopardy of dismantling. Bad news indeed for real trappers.

Please write, phone or email your politicians. This abuse of traplines must stop or risk losing a very important part of our trapping heritage.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:35 PM

the op asked the question, and received the proper answers in the next 3-4 posts.

and then the thread turned into the usual online pity party the always follows this topic.

i agree, that abused lines must be dealt with ASAP.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:42 PM

In our defense, I stated above that if I have to acquire a lic to purchase .....I will.... If I have to play by the rules and do a quota thing... I will

Not pointing fingers but I figured I would get a response like that. You seem to think if my dad hasn't trapped/grandad or never had a line before in the family. Then they shouldn't belong or shouldn't be allowed. what have you....

The only trap line'n I've ever done. Was on my way to the school bus every morning for a few winter months. I set up brass snares on the bottom wire of barb wire. I caught a few rabbits and even fleshed them out and was proud. They were crusty and never turned out. I loved waiting to see what I got.
Then dad was t boned by a semi and we left the farm moved to town, single father of two

If I had a uncle or a family friend teach me the ways and show me what trapping was all about. That woulda been a dream.

Theres enough land for everybody to share and acquire and use for it's intended use.

as for my search for lines for sale in the search option. There was a few very nice sounding peices, but ither thread died out or were quite old. As it stands I don't have the 25 thousand as it is. So i'll keep saving my pennies and try the nice landowner route..unless i will the lottery..then I'll trap like a mad man. Thanks
Old 03-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Banned

And in the mean time, just keep stirring the pot... Every frkg. time this issue is brought up, every one who does not have a line. thinks the world owes them a living and those that have a line should just walk away from them.. Maybe you should ask those, who have turned their lines into the commercial touring business and variations of it and ask them what kind of price they would put on there line. I'll bet 100K would be laughed at.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:48 PM

Ya Doug I agree that trapping tourism is not the intended use of traplines. I don't think the world owes me a living and I don't have a registered line nor am I in the market for one. I have a resident line with creeks, ponds, forest and more species of critters than I'm allowed to trap.

The OP is kind of changing his tune to maybe trapping the line to its fullest extent. I support him for that and I for one would be glad to have someone interested in becoming a trapper come along with me and learn the ropes. As short as they may be. I apologize to the OP if this is his intention...I read it that all he wanted was a trapline for his dad to hang out on and he would do the minimum required to get said line.

Happy Trapping
Old 03-30-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Ya Doug I agree that trapping tourism is not the intended use of traplines. I don't think the world owes me a living
I know what you mean by trapping tourism, If I acquire such funds and license, I'd take a trip every weekend if I could, I don't want to "hobby" this out. The world doesn't owe me a thing either You have to earn it. I'm sure 99% of you old goats know that. And ya I'm just 23 and I'd like to learn for sure.

[QUOTE]The OP is kind of changing his tune to maybe trapping the line to its fullest extent. I support him for that and I for one would be glad to have someone interested in becoming a trapper come along with me and learn the ropes. As short as they may be. I apologize to the OP if this is his intention...I read it that all he wanted was a trapline for his dad to hang out on and he would do the minimum required to get said line.[QUOTE]

Yea I came out of the gate wrong and hit a sore spot. Truly ya I'd like to learn the ropes. I'm all for trapping and keeping it going and strong. I was just unaware of the process.

Have ask myself a few questions.
"does trapping pay good to stay out in the woods?" My uneducated response would be no. Because nothings guaranteed, usually upkeep costs could include alot of stuff (gas,traps,fees,food).

I also work in camp for 24 days at a time in the oil patch and make decent money. I'd switch to live on the line and make something of it. That would be neat.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:46 PM
Banned

For those of you who want a line and a cabin, so bad you can taste it, I know EXACTLY how you feel. Bin there, done that. I was junior on 3 diff lines b4 an older trapper, whose wife didn't want him out there by himself any more, told me that when his time would come, I would be able to take over his line, for a price of course. Sorry to say, but he went to that big line in the sky, b4 I wanted him to. ON the earlier lines I was on, I was there as a bush man, cutting and slashing it, if you catch the drift. If one is residing in a trapping area, it is not that difficult to junior up, even if it is more of a "bushman", but at least getting a foot in the door. But if one does not live in this kind of setting, then it is hard for someone to take on a junior cuz one can not do what is required in one or two days a week, not including travel time to and from your area. I could use help on my line, but unless one is available when I need that person, it's not prob gonna happen. If that person wanted to tag along in the summer time when I'm prepping, that's another matter.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that....it's too bad every one couldn't have their spot in paradise....but bringing in all this frkg REGULATION that some think is the answer...is only going to make it worse and those with the BIG BUCKS will still have their way and those remaining will be filling out paper work from a desk bolted to the back of their skandic every 6 hours, just like a truck driver and their log books.. something like George Orwell in 1984....and if we don't give our heads a shake it will happen in our time...the process is almost in place for it to take place ..

For those of you wanting a line.....get it....but not at someone elses expense by regulating your way to get it...that is SELF SERVING, and there is far to much of that out there now... Take Care...
Old 03-31-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that....it's too bad every one couldn't have their spot in paradise....but bringing in all this frkg REGULATION that some think is the answer...is only going to make it worse and those with the BIG BUCKS will still have their way and those remaining will be filling out paper work from a desk bolted to the back of their skandic every 6 hours, just like a truck driver and their log books.. something like George Orwell in 1984....and if we don't give our heads a shake it will happen in our time...the process is almost in place for it to take place ..

For those of you wanting a line.....get it....but not at someone elses expense by regulating your way to get it...that is SELF SERVING, and there is far to much of that out there now... Take Care...

well said sir .... well said