Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-20-2012, 10:26 PM

Default Trapline Tours

I see some Trappers are running Tours on their line. My question is it legal ? Do you need a special permit? I would think one would need insurance and a bond like an outfitter. Thanks for any input.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:43 PM

Do you have to have insurance and a special permit to to take your buddy for a skidoo ride on the trapline? No. This is no different even if the guys that like to complicate simple things think otherwise. Liability insurance is always a good thing to have tho. Some buddies could turn out to be not such good buddies if the break a leg on you out on the line.

If they did complicate such a simple thing, then we would need to be able to clearly define what a friend would be versus somebody else.

Currently a person may not have a non-trapper assist on the line with trapline duties. However, observing a person going about his business while accompanying that person is not assisting. (It could even perhaps fall into such a category as "hindering"!!!)
Old 03-20-2012, 10:59 PM

I'll add a little more to my question . Some Trappers are operating a Trapline Tour Business collecting $$ . That is why I am asking about permits and insurance.
Taking $$ should make a difference.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:58 AM

you can get trapline insurance. that covers trapline tours. your license is your permit that covers all things trapping related(tours etc) as far as i know. i just spent the last hour looking for my policy and can't find it,(she put it somewhere) to give you the specifics. it's from a company in Edmonton, covers tours, cabin fire,forest fire, injury, X-amount of liability,ADC work, ect,ect. if your going to sign on a jr partner, it might be a good thing to have, you might already?

I know several guys that do tours and they have there cleint's purchase "spot locators" that come with their own medical evacuation insurance.

I've thought about tours, to help offset costs. But after 5-6 weeks on the line i smell so bad no one would want to spend time with me.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:03 AM
Banned

Get in touch with Bill Albercrombie at Bushman Inc. They do trapline tours. He is the ATA's representative on the ACA Board and is a long time Director of the ATA so I would think it is legal and perhaps he could answer any questions about getting set up for tours.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:33 AM
Administrator

I was told that running trapline tours is a non-issue, but you cannot put anybody up in your cabin for the night unless said cabin is on your own private property. Makes sense to me.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:27 PM

Rob where do you find those rules like you said not having anyone in your cabin? Thanks Rob.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miskosky View Post
I was told that running trapline tours is a non-issue, but you cannot put anybody up in your cabin for the night unless said cabin is on your own private property. Makes sense to me.
Are you serious? Regs say you can have any one come along on the trapline without a license, as long as they do not help you with the actual trapping in any way. No different than the fisherman going to some lake that travels along the same trail,no?
Old 03-22-2012, 11:37 AM
Administrator

I'm very serious. I was told this by a guy who ran trapline tours here in Alberta up until just a few short years ago. This is a person who has been involved in trapping for many years, fairly famous trapper actually. He is now looking at starting tours again and he told me the same thing... can't tell you anymore than that. I've never seen anything written anywhere though.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:00 PM

I think it would be like having friends hunt out of a trap cabin, in my books that is a no-no. If they want to pitch a tent by the cabin power to them. If I got into the tours I would put up a couple of my winter wall tents, might keep all parties happy.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:17 PM

I'd love to see SRD charge me for having a friend stay in my cabin.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Banned

Exactly Brian.

It must be ok because in Jim Mitchell's monthly trapline diaries he has a friend out with him in the cabin hunting moose out of it. He also himself has in the diaries he hunts deer out of his cabin. His monthly newsletter and diary go out to hundreds of people. He is the head of Trapper Education for the Province. I don't think he would risk losing his line if it wasn't ok with SRD.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:34 AM

There has to be some reasonableness in cabin policies. Personally I don't use my cabin for hunting alone but often have gone out with my family and friends to clean some trail, buck some wood, and do work around the place. When i have some buddies come out to do some hunting we throw up the tents for their use.

I go a little over board maybe about not using the trapping cabin for hunting because of public perception and because I have the luxury of my legitimate commercial cabins at Sheep Creek. Personally if a trapper is an active trapper I consider the intermittent year round use of their cabin as part of the healthy use of the trap line.

I think the real problem in Alberta is that there are few recreational property opportunities here unlike BC or Ontario for example. We have an affluent population and many of them would like a cottage or cabin in the woods. They rightfully look at trappers with some envy and we need to recognize those cabins are a privilege and follow the rules around them.

My cabins aren't a luxury though they are a necessity.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:08 AM
Banned

Very well said Brian.