Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-31-2011, 08:49 AM
Banned

Default Disorderly conduct

I was at the Busby horn scoring event in Westlock on the week end, and there were some really nice racks there for sure. 219+ non typ whitetail, 180 typ whitetail, 208 muley. Now first off I'm going to say I have absolutely nothing against fish and wildlife officers, and as a matter of fact I have a good friend who is one that I will be having a talk with this week.

There was a silent auction there and I was the high bidder on an item right up until when the auctioneer picked the item off of the table and brought it up to the announcer. This is where the dirty actions happened. There was a uniformed fish and wildlife officer who was bidding on the same item as me, walked up to the table where the announcer was, picked up the sheet, wrote his own name on the ballot and handed it directly to the announcer himself! That says alot about the type of man, and I use that term very loosely, he is. I feel sorry for anyone who has had a run in with this guy. I have been a licensed outdoorsman in Alberta for over three decades, and I have ran across dozens of great f&w officers, and never had a problem with any of them ever! The dispicable actions of this officer will not change my view of f&w officers, but I would be terrified to be pulled over by this crooked cop! I am going to talk to my friend who is an officer and find out a bit more history on this guy. Shocked and disappointed to say the least.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:46 AM

Well if you were that disappointed then maybe you should've brought it up right then. I would've stood up for myself, not complain about it online a week later.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:20 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=matathonman;818257]Well if you were that disappointed then maybe you should've brought it up right then. I would've stood up for myself, not complain about it online a week later.

I know how things work, and I enjoy my hunting and fishing privileges. Like Kenny said, "you gotta know when to hold em and know when to fold em". Its not about the auction per say, it's about the abuse of power this individual has shown. It was a petty act but really showed insight into who he really is. He let the cat out of the bag without knowing it. I watched the auctioneer pick up the item off of the table and bring it up to the announcer myself and at that point thought I had won the item. So then I went and started mingling amongst the crowd. That's when not one, but two different people came up to me and informed me of what had happened after I walked away. It was obvious that he wasn't the only one in on it. Like I said, I have a friend who is an officer and I'm going to be talking to him about it later this week. I'd be willing to bet there is more to this than met the eye.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matathonman View Post
Well if you were that disappointed then maybe you should've brought it up right then. I would've stood up for myself, not complain about it online a week later.
A Big X2 on that!!

At least 3 sides to every story...
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 01-31-2011, 10:34 AM
Banned

Starting to smell like dirty cop around here.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:35 AM

It's not yours until someone says "sold " to you !jmo
Old 01-31-2011, 10:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
It's not yours until someone says "sold " to you !jmo
It was a silent auction, once the item is removed from the table it's "sold".
Old 01-31-2011, 10:41 AM
Banned

Kurt - I know that it's easy for me to say now and allot different when things are happening in real time but.......Why didn't you go and talk to the auctioneer and announcer right away? At the very least they would have known that they were caught not doing what they were supposed to be doing. At the very least you could have embarrassed them a bit.

I was sledding on Saturday and I stopped into the Busby Hotel for a pop. A French fella named Dan was showing me some pictures of the bucks that were there. One of them looked like one that I saw at the Cherry Grove Big Buck night. It makes me wonder if these guys aren't making the Big Buck circuit.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
It was a silent auction, once the item is removed from the table it's "sold".
At our silent auctions they generally take the item and the sheet at the same time . That would have prevented this unfortunate circumstance from happening.Just my 2 cents
Old 01-31-2011, 10:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Kurt - I know that it's easy for me to say now and allot different when things are happening in real time but.......Why didn't you go and talk to the auctioneer and announcer right away? At the very least they would have known that they were caught not doing what they were supposed to be doing. At the very least you could have embarrassed them a bit.

I was sledding on Saturday and I stopped into the Busby Hotel for a pop. A French fella named Dan was showing me some pictures of the bucks that were there. One of them looked like one that I saw at the Cherry Grove Big Buck night. It makes me wonder if these guys aren't making the Big Buck circuit.
I hear what your saying about going up and making a deal about it, but really the item that was up for auction wasn't a big deal to me. The fact that I lost it wasn't a big deal to me. The actions of a law enforcement officer was tho. I have friends who are county sherriffs, RCMP, and f&w officers so I know how things work. After I talk with my friend I'll know more about this fella.

As for the bucks that were there, I'm not sure if you can or can't do the big buck circuit and clean up on all the prizes or not, I did enjoy seeing all the big racks that were there. I thought there would have been more in the 160+ range tho.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoKilo View Post
A Big X2 on that!!

At least 3 sides to every story...
Old 01-31-2011, 11:01 AM
Banned

I think that bringing it to everyone's attention would have been more of a principle thing to me if I thought that there was some dirty pool going on. I don't understand where there was an abuse of authority though. Was this a fella doing something that happened to be in a F&W uniform or a F&W officer that ordered the auctioneer to had over the sheet?
Old 01-31-2011, 11:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyd View Post
At our silent auctions they generally take the item and the sheet at the same time . That would have prevented this unfortunate circumstance from happening.Just my 2 cents
They did! There was still one or two items left to announce before the item in question was to be announced so they were placed on the table next to the announcer. That's when and where the officer walked up, looked at the sheet, wrote his name and handed it directly into the announcers hand.

I'm not posting this to discredit f&w officers in any way. I have never in my life had a bad experience with any f&w officer, and as a matter of fact it has always been an enjoyable chat every time I have been stopped. It was disappointing, and I thought it said a lot about this certain individual.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:10 AM

The F&W officer wasn't the only guy in the wrong. Try whoever was organizing the Silent Auction. Rules on how these auctions are run are usually posted. His character on pulling such a stunt can be questioned but the people running the auction need the biggest boot. Thats how they lose bidders in upcoming events.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwan View Post
The F&W officer wasn't the only guy in the wrong. Try whoever was organizing the Silent Auction. Rules on how these auctions are run are usually posted. His character on pulling such a stunt can be questioned but the people running the auction need the biggest boot. Thats how they lose bidders in upcoming events.
I here ya, that's why I said it was obvious he wasn't in it alone, and I wasn't about to make a deal about it then and there. It wasn't worth it. But, now that it has happened, and I have a friend on the force, I'm going to look into this guy.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
They did! There was still one or two items left to announce before the item in question was to be announced so they were placed on the table next to the announcer. That's when and where the officer walked up, looked at the sheet, wrote his name and handed it directly into the announcers hand.
Actually Kurt, since you said it that way it sounds legitimate to me. If the sheet is laying on the table and someone signs it at the last second then it's fair game. As far as handing it directly to the announcer that was a little sneaky. I think that the auctioneer should have actually held the sheet once the bidding was finished but if it's still sitting on the table.............

Disappointing anyway.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Actually Kurt, since you said it that way it sounds legitimate to me. If the sheet is laying on the table and someone signs it at the last second then it's fair game. As far as handing it directly to the announcer that was a little sneaky. I think that the auctioneer should have actually held the sheet once the bidding was finished but if it's still sitting on the table.............

Disappointing anyway.
It was shifty, and it wasn't still on the auction table, it was on a table next to the announcer. It was petty, and when I was told about it I just shook my head and laughed about it. The fact that he did what he did, and atleast two other people watched him do it was worth a chuckle to me. Now I, and a few others know what he's all about. Up until last weekend I had never seen him before, but now I know him.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:53 AM

[QUOTE=Kurt505;818294]
Quote:
Originally Posted by matathonman View Post

I know how things work, and I enjoy my hunting and fishing privileges. Like Kenny said, "you gotta know when to hold em and know when to fold em". Its not about the auction per say, it's about the abuse of power this individual has shown. It was a petty act but really showed insight into who he really is. He let the cat out of the bag without knowing it. I watched the auctioneer pick up the item off of the table and bring it up to the announcer myself and at that point thought I had won the item. So then I went and started mingling amongst the crowd. That's when not one, but two different people came up to me and informed me of what had happened after I walked away. It was obvious that he wasn't the only one in on it. Like I said, I have a friend who is an officer and I'm going to be talking to him about it later this week. I'd be willing to bet there is more to this than met the eye.
Kurt505,

If this truly happened then I certainly understand your frustration but you are going about this the wrong way.

I strongly recommend you gather your facts, including any witnesses and write a detailed letter in to the Ministry; it's not too late to do that. I believe there is an arm of the branch that investigates these types of allegations (I believe under the jurisdiction of the Sheriffs?).

I can assure you that the people who would most want this aired out would be his colleagues; and there are several of them on this board. If he's done this they would want him held accountable (or at least try) and if he hasn't then they would want him vindicated.

Posting this kind of stuff and just talking to your friend will accomplish nothing. If this guy pulled this kind of stunt then everybody concerned would be far better served by having it looked into then by just starting what will surely turn into a forum-bash.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:01 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Wolverine Boy;818430]
Quote:
I strongly recommend you gather your facts, including any witnesses and write a detailed letter in to the Ministry; it's not too late to do that. I believe there is an arm of the branch that investigates these types of allegations (I believe under the jurisdiction of the Sheriffs?).
It's probably not worth the trouble. I'd just suck it up and carry on.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:16 PM
Banned

There was enough witnesses to this to prove it happened. Was it an isolated incident? Or is there a bigger picture here? After I talk with my friend and find out more about him, then I'll decide which route I'll take. I know that there are a lot of law enforcement officers on this forum who do their job because they want to uphold the law. I think the only law broken was broken morals. It just makes me want to find out if that's as far as it goes.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:23 PM

Default Silent Auctions

I am usually in charge of the Silent Auction at our local F&G banquet every year. It can be a tough gig! Everyone wants to be your friend when you collect auction sheets as the night goes on. Add alcohol to the mix and things sometimes get nasty, then by the end of the event people accuse you of all sorts of things. Oh well, just be fair and stay the course.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:23 PM
Banned

Default Really!

I can't believe you would even want to start such a useless drivel on such a great Forum. Suck it up doesn't even come close to what I think!! Bet you have road rage too...LOL Shut this off mods!!!
Old 01-31-2011, 06:05 PM
Nationwide

Quote:
This is where the dirty actions happened. There was a uniformed fish and wildlife officer who was bidding on the same item as me,
Ok he was bidding on the same item cool

Quote:
picked up the sheet, wrote his own name on the ballot and handed it directly to the announcer himself!
So what was he doing reconfirming his bid as stated he was already bidding on the item right cant see why he is so bad

Quote:
I have never in my life had a bad experience with any f&w officer, and as a matter of fact it has always been an enjoyable chat every time I have been stopped. I
Well you were at a auction - horn scoreing event not a hunting trip i cant see the problem other then the fact you lost at the auction .Good luck next time
Old 01-31-2011, 06:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nationwide View Post
Ok he was bidding on the same item cool

So what was he doing reconfirming his bid as stated he was already bidding on the item right cant see why he is so bad

Well you were at a auction - horn scoreing event not a hunting trip i cant see the problem other then the fact you lost at the auction .Good luck next time
Do you wear Velcro shoes?
Old 01-31-2011, 06:38 PM
Nationwide

No and i cant say i feel sorry for you because someone beat you in a auction .can i ask Do you wear Velcro shoes
Old 01-31-2011, 06:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nationwide View Post
No and i cant say i feel sorry for you because someone beat you in a auction .can i ask Do you wear Velcro shoes
Rubber boots?

I'm not looking for your sympathy. I could care less about losing the auction. It was an item I can buy anywhere for the same price I bid. It's about a uniformed law enforcement officer that is willing to break the rules to get what he wants. If he does that, I'm wondering what else he's willing to do? You might be the next guy who gets pulled over, or worked over. I know who he is now.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:22 PM
Banned

Update;

I have just received a phonecall from the organizers of the Busby horn scoring event. It was a very relieving call to say the least. Turns out to be a miscommunication of sorts. THERE WAS NO WRONGDOING BY THE F&W OFFICER, which is great to hear. They even offered a replacement for the item I was bidding on. I declined the offer because that's not what this thread was about, but I am happy to know it was a mistake. I'm glad people read my thread and cleared it up, and I'm very sorry for casting any doubt onto our F&W officers. I know they are understaffed and overworked enough and don't need any bad press.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Banned

Hmmmmmm......I guess that big brother really is watching.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hmmmmmm......I guess that big brother really is watching.
Ya, in this case I'm sure glad he was.