Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-02-2011, 08:56 AM

Default Vest for my retriver

Well we recently acquired two new puppies. Not quite according to plan but two 13 week old lab/retriever crosses from a rescue. They are brother and sister, two little cuties with really great demeanor and are becoming quite obedient. They were found at about 5 weeks old abandon and the little girl had some eye trauma from what appeared to be a dog bite, unfortunately this resulted in a lost eye. The vet cleaned it up very nice and removed the tear duct and fused the lid closed. Now she is no worse for wear and no noticeable coordination problems.
We are very glad to have some new joys in our life after losing my yellow lab patriot of 12 years Jake.

Now this actually brings me to my question I am interested in getting a neoprene vest preferably with a little buoyancy but defiantly with a handle for when we are on the boat. I know Avery makes a "boaters vest" for dogs but was curious as to what other may be using and there experience.

Thanks,
Mike

Norah and Jager
Old 02-02-2011, 09:36 AM

Neoprene numbers I've used have a bit of bouyancy, but not much. They are also camo (I use them for waterfowl hunting)and I haven't seen one with a handle, though I'm sure they are made. If it's not for hunting and just for boating though, I'd get a proper brightly colored (and visible) life preserver with handle.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:00 AM

Yeah it would be multi purpose including waterfowl
Old 02-02-2011, 10:17 AM

Hey Mike W I use an avery vest for my dog it is a camo hunting vest but has the handles for getting her in and out of the boat and they are invaluable even in the marsh with out a boat they allow you to have control and help her out just getting up on cattail mounds and stuff it is the avey duck unlimited version vest I bought it from Macks Prairie wings in the states
Old 02-02-2011, 10:24 AM

I'd be a bit concerned about a vest with handle if the dog is going into cattails, etc. I'd be worried about him getting hung up on something while swimming through.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:25 AM

Smile Very Kind of you

Hi Mike, very good of you to take both dogs. Nice work from the Vet too.

As far as vests go with my lab, she never wore anything. I was always worried that she might catch on something. The cold water never seemed to bother her one bit. We shot out of a canoe, and the technique was splash (bird) splash dog, she would swim back with the bird, I'd take the bird and then on the next pass she headed directly for the gunnell. I'd grab her by the scuff of the neck and she would scramble into the boat and then shake. It worked just fine.

I don't think a lab needs any flotation, all the ones I had could easily tread water, as for the cold, it never seemed to bother them, they hit water and ice with the same enthusiasm.

All my Labs were females so the male owners my have had different experience.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:37 AM

Hey oko good point with the handles but check out this link I think the design of the handles would make it very hard to snag on anything.
http://www.averysportingdog.com/prod...sts_Photos.php
Our fishing boat is pretty deep it would require quite the scruff lift.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-02-2011, 10:41 AM
Gone Hunting

I've never used a vest on my labs but I've thought about starting. I know that labs don't seem to be bothered by the cold water and I'm not sure how much flotation is in the vest.
I've had the labs who would crash through the ice on the ponds in the fall and they seemed to love it. But in the last year I've had to put down 3 worn out old dogs. It's just a fact that dogs don't live nearly long enough. These dogs had a full life and were around 13 years old. Pretty good for a lab who has hunted and worked all his life.
The reason I'm thinking about a vest is as I get older I have more aches and stiffness where I don't want it. The dogs do as well. I wonder how much better they would feel if the vest cuts some strain for them. Will it help hold off arthritis in later years because the dog is less stressed for his whole working life?
It won't stop the aging but it may make his later years easier.
I know a vest would definitely be a plus when working the rose bushes and brambles. It doesn't take long for a hard charger to take a beating from the cover.

I to have hunted ducks from a canoe with a female lab who was an exceptional dog. I have a yellow male that would capsize us for sure if I gave him the chance. He is well trained but runs on high octane rocket fuel. A handle would sure be nice on him.

For those who have used a vest. What are the down sides?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-02-2011, 10:44 AM

although she does not get botherd by the cold I make her wear it to help keep her warm once she is out of the water I find it does nothing to help her swim, the best advantage I see to it is it also keeps stiks and even frozen catails from poking her in the chest.

And OK it is just slots cut in the top creates a handle so there is nothing to catch on anything. The dog does not want to wear it but I find when it is cold out it just helps her reatin heat once out of the water and get her into the boat I do not like to pull my 60 pound lab by the neck (although have done it) if I do not have to. I aslo hunt some of the nastiest stuff most waterfowlers even avoid lol.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I've never used a vest on my labs but I've thought about starting. I know that labs don't seem to be bothered by the cold water and I'm not sure how much flotation is in the vest.
My mutt is a Britt so much less cold-resistant than a lab. For sure they don't need one in October. Late November with ice on the water? Not sure. I do think one other benefit apart from warmth is the camo. I personally think it helps hide him as the ducks are approaching, so might be good for that if nothing else. I have him wear his even if we are goose hunting in a field.

Last edited by Okotokian; 02-02-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:12 PM

My buddy's lab, and my son's GSP both get pretty danged excited when they see the vests because they know they're going out!
In fact Decoy, the big lab, trys to jump itno it !
Cat
Old 02-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Banned

I have a florescent orange vest lying around somewhere that my 50 lb Brittany used to wear. If it would fit your dog I'd be willing to trade you for something like a coyote call or something.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I have a florescent orange vest lying around somewhere that my 50 lb Brittany used to wear. If it would fit your dog I'd be willing to trade you for something like a coyote call or something.
Who you talkin' to Dave?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-02-2011, 03:28 PM

Smile How much heat do they lose?

My first BLF used to follow me into the lake as I set up decoys. I didn't know much about steadying a dog then. When she sat beside me in the blind the water would freeze on her guard hairs and I had a white lab for the rest of the day. The point is, she couldn't have been losing very much heat or the ice would have melted. It wasn't Alberta where it can get very cold it was lake Erie where it is below freezing on the beach but the water is not frozen.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Who you talkin' to Dave?
Huh....what? I dunno. I guess anyone that's listening and looking for a florescent orange hunting vest for their dog.