Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-01-2011, 02:50 AM

Default My 2010 whitetail story with mount!!!

Well i just put him up on the wall and he is by far the biggest deer i have harvested so far in my hunting life, but first let me share how i put him on the ground! it was nov 28 and the father in law and i were headed out to our favorite spot out west..and yes i seem to get along better with my inlaws then i do my own wife!! oh man i wish that was a lie! but since this is the last forum in the world she would look at i feel no remorse in saying that.

The light was "perfect deer light" and for those that hunt a lot you know what i mean it's that time of the morning when the sun has not showed itself yet but rather lets a glow of light pink and red and visability is only about 300 yards or so and all of a sudden you get this feeling like every field you come too is going to have deer in it!. Its when you see the most deer feeding, and the cool part that most people don't seem to notice is that its almost identicley the same light in the evening that you see the most deer as well, Although there's something different about the morning that conjures our hunting demons to perk up and if your ever on stand you'll know because its when everything comes alive in the woods! you start to hear sounds you never heard before every leaf that falls you hear it and for some stupid reason in your head it sounds just like a deer walking in your direction..lol. I stood on high alert for over thirty min once holding my breath for what seemed like an eternity for this "bull moose" to step out only to have a damn squirrel run past my tree stand.Anyway the point is when your in the woods alone it invokes a feeling that i cant describe with words but scientifically put would be "an equilibrium with ones surrounding environment" i think..:-)

The piece i was hunting was a full quarter half was barley the other half was a mixture of poplar and spruce with a muskeggy swamp on the edge that made up about 5 acres right next to a well used gravel road, now as you all know a gravel road next to bush during hunting season sees it's share of tires!! but for some reason on this morning not one set of tracks on the fresh snow were there. A good sign!.

Craig dropped me off then headed to his spot a few miles down the road. I had only 20 yards of bush between me and the swamp clearing where i wanted to do some rattling no sooner did i step into the clearing only to look up and see this huge bodied whitetail trotting towards me! I shoulderd my 6mm as fast as i could to get a look see and even at 250 yards on 3 power i could tell this was a mature animal all i could see was MASS i never had a clue how many points. At this point i realize he going to hit the bush in 50 yards! and i still never even chamberd a round! so i threw a shell down the pipe,found him in the cross hairs and lead him about a foot. I dont even remember the crack of the rifle what i do remember hearing is the unmistakable "thud" of bullet hitting body.The buck kicked both feet up in the air then turned on the boosters and bolted into the bush.Thats when the fever kicked in and my right arm began to shake i know this because it took me a full 3 sec to open the bolt and remove the case..lol

Craig had heard the shot and drove over to see what went down and after i told him i thought i had a good hit and where the buck went he suggested he drop me off on the other side from where the deer went in because after 80 yard of bush the hi way crosses and if he get past that we would never find him again and the thought of that made me sick to my gut.

As the truck stops on the other side i bolt out and run 200 yards along the tree line anticipating where the big boy might come out, at as Craig walks in from the other side. I only stood there for five min when i heard the crashing and breaking of tree limbs so i readied my rifle and sure enough right in front of me out comes this deer not 10 yards from me!! he was so close i cold not use my scope so i looked down the barrel pointing at the deer which is now running past me at 15 feet away and squeeze the trigger BooM!! down he goes sliding about 6 or 7 feet along the ground to a stop. All i can do is stare at this wicked specimen of a deer and now i can see not only mass but good tine length too! in fact he kept getting bigger and bigger as i got closer and i must say it's a good feeling since all the other bucks i shot seemed to turn into does with two goose eggs on there head!..lol. So here he is a few pics to share with you all and even though im not a good writer, an even worse speller! some stories must be told.....this ones mine! all i can do is hope to hear yours!

Thanks again!,

Greg.l

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/DSC00266.jpg

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/DSC00267.jpg

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/DSC00269.jpg
Old 02-01-2011, 02:54 AM

Great story Greg and thats a fine buck..

Love the massive ones....
Old 02-01-2011, 02:58 AM

thank you! me too!..lol
Old 02-01-2011, 03:00 AM

Not a bad looking buck at all..... Good job, glad you got it before it go away
Old 02-01-2011, 04:40 AM

Default Better pic!!

heres a better picture.

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/a...1/DSC00266.jpg
Old 02-01-2011, 07:58 AM

Nice buck for sure!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:41 AM

Nice mature buck for sure..congrats!!
Old 02-01-2011, 09:06 AM

Nice one, good story too. Older buck I'd say.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:12 AM

Looks like a hybrid too me
Old 02-01-2011, 09:59 AM

Nice buck!
Old 02-01-2011, 10:07 AM

Nice buck!
Old 02-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Banned

Great story, great deer. Nice work!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:18 AM

Great buck! now go ask your wife for forgiveness!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:23 AM

Thanks for taking the time to put together a great story!
Nice deer!
Old 02-01-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Thanks for taking the time to put together a great story!
Nice deer!
thank you!
Old 02-01-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 827rotax View Post
Great buck! now go ask your wife for forgiveness!
lol your right i should! but one thing i have learned from fishing all year round is when your walking on thin ice is ....take your time!
Old 02-01-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cover View Post
Looks like a hybrid too me
i thought that too but i later found out that if it is a hybrid there is almost always an indication on the body as well from what i have been told you will get a mule deer body with perfect whitetail antlers (all branching off the main beam) and when its the other way around you'll get a whitetail body with very thin forked antlers. not 100% sure if that's true or not but i would like to take one some time!
Old 02-01-2011, 01:38 PM

Default older buck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
Nice one, good story too. Older buck I'd say.
your right i figure around 6 1/2 to seven 1/2 years old he only had two teeth on his top jaw and they were worn down to almost nothing. To to be that old and still have seven inch bases! and where the main beam branches it's 9 inches makes You wonder what he was like in his most prime eh!
Old 02-01-2011, 02:42 PM

If his teeth were like you say, that would likely put him in the 8.5-9.5 year range. 6 and 7 year old bucks generally have decent teeth and are still in their prime. The heavy antlers are a common trait of the older bucks on the downhill. Heavy mass and shorter tines are common the last couple years in a bucks life. Nice buck for sure.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:35 PM

Yup ... That's great buck man
Old 02-01-2011, 06:55 PM

Greg, that is a dandy buck and a great story, I enjoyed reading it. I just love the thick beams on that guy, and the wide basket he's got. You've definately got a great whitey there on the wall! Congrats!!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-01-2011, 07:25 PM
whitetalehunter12

awesome buck!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted canuck View Post
Greg, that is a dandy buck and a great story, I enjoyed reading it. I just love the thick beams on that guy, and the wide basket he's got. You've definately got a great whitey there on the wall! Congrats!!
Thanks alot twisted! im glad you enjoyed it i dident think this many people cared reading the stories on here i guess i was wrong when i post the next adventure i use better spelling and definition lol.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:34 PM

Great looking deer.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapalaman View Post
Thanks alot twisted! im glad you enjoyed it i dident think this many people cared reading the stories on here i guess i was wrong when i post the next adventure i use better spelling and definition lol.
You dun good Greg...LOL!

Some get a bit annoyed with the lack of spell-check, but the mount on your wall covers all the petty stuff. I'm still gunning for mine.....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-01-2011, 11:26 PM

Great deer and story!! Congratulations!!!
Thanks for posting!!
Old 02-02-2011, 02:02 PM

Default i know my bad

[QUOTE=twisted canuck;820111]You dun good Greg...LOL!

Some get a bit annoyed with the lack of spell-check, but the mount on your wall covers all the petty stuff. I'm still gunning for mine.....[/QUOTE

Yea sorry about the spelling everyone i will edit my stuff so that it is up to snuff next time. lol