Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-16-2011, 02:45 PM

Default eye dominance issues

I realize that only a small percentage of people will even understand what I am saying because most people just have no issues with this or I could be the only one,it is possible I suppose.I am most comfortable with the gun on my left shoulder,but unfortunately I cannot wink my right eye lol I know I know funny right.It gets better,while cycling my pump on my right shoulder I feel as though I am having a seizure and probably look like it too.I have been shooting off of my right shoulder for yrs,just trying to deal with it but accuracy suffers.I can shoot off my left shoulder with my face shoved into the stock and using my right eye but this has proven to be extremely innaccurate.Trying to get my face to blink my right eye just seems like the best solution but (trying right now) it won't happen unless there is a trick I dont know.Have tried the little stickers for glasses to block my right eye but that is not practicle in the field.......any advice? Dog
Old 01-16-2011, 02:47 PM
sheephunter

Can you soot with both eyes open?
Old 01-16-2011, 02:55 PM

oh yeah,thats the thing my right eye is the dominant one so even shooting open sights my eyes see what the right one is seeing prodominantly,am I makin any sense?
Old 01-16-2011, 02:56 PM

it is like I am looking down on the gun
Dog
Old 01-16-2011, 03:16 PM

btt
Old 01-16-2011, 03:21 PM

maybe a pirates patch?
Old 01-16-2011, 03:59 PM

OK man....you gotta sit down and learn how to wink

It's really not that difficult....if not,

Arrr Arrrr Capn'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tm
Old 01-16-2011, 05:06 PM

drinking mead,practicing my swashbuckling,waiting for more advice
Old 01-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmWsV...eature=related
Old 01-16-2011, 05:23 PM

thanks bb now that was funny!
Old 01-16-2011, 07:12 PM

Question use both

From what i am told they say you should lern to shoot with both eyes open and u will be way more accurate i hace heard but never actually talk to an army sniper but from what i hear they are trained to shoot with both eyes open it is sapposed to be better for target accusition and a number of things like i said you might want to reserch this more anyone else have two bits on this ?????????????????
Old 01-16-2011, 08:24 PM

His problem is that his strong eye is not the one he uses Stinky. When he open both eyes, his dominant eye takes over and all he can see is down the side of the barrell......not down the scope. sux...been there

Solutions:

1) Surgery on your eyes

2) Switch shooting shoulders

3) Learn how to wink

4) Cover your eye somehow

tm
Old 01-16-2011, 08:28 PM

nuther shot.....I assume from this that you need glasses but do not wear them......glasses may fix this for you as well.

tm
Old 01-16-2011, 08:36 PM

Deal with this all the time when teaching new shooters, .......bottom line is if you're right eye dominant, the best bet is to practice shooting with your right hand. If you're left-handed, start strengthening your right and concentrate on using it more for other tasks, .......it will eventually come together.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:19 AM

Cross dominance, I am left handed but have a right dominant eye. Easy as pie to fix, and you can still keep both eyes open when shooting.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Juice? View Post
Cross dominance, I am left handed but have a right dominant eye. Easy as pie to fix, and you can still keep both eyes open when shooting.
How do you fix it? I have this problem as well and use a true glow site that is designed so I can only see the green dot with my right eye, but every once and a while even with practice the left eye decides it wants to take over. Would be nice if I could get the right eye to take over permanently.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrsmatth View Post
How do you fix it? I have this problem as well and use a true glow site that is designed so I can only see the green dot with my right eye, but every once and a while even with practice the left eye decides it wants to take over. Would be nice if I could get the right eye to take over permanently.
1/2" wide piece of tape over your shooting glasses. But instead of centering the tape over your pupil, move it in 1/8" towards your nose.

It has improved my scores in trap/skeet/sporting clays and made shooting a scoped rifle easier as well.

That said, I have also forgotten my precious tape when shooting. And so I have also trained myself to shoot right handed. I can now say I am as good with my right hand shooting shotgun, and pistol as I am with my left hand.

But for whatever reason, I have not been able to master the rifle right handed.

The one nice thing with cross eye dominance, is that we CAN switch hands with firearms. People without CED have a bugger of a time switching.

And I have hunted quail in a european drover hunt in texas. I used tape one day with excellent results.

The day after I mounted on my right hand side and still harvested the same amount of quail.

Here is a secret though. when taping your glasses I found that taping the inside AND outside with white tape to be the best. Taping the outside only introduces glare inside the glasses. White tape for some reason produces the best results for me.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:38 AM

Default eye dominance

Get your eyes examined first and include a visual field screening. This should include a binocular vision assessment. If a distance correction is required get a pair of glasses that you can use for shooting or better yet a frame that is specifically made for shooting with an adjustable bridge. You can then purchase a set of Magic Dots and follow the instructions on installation. If the dot is installed in the correct position you will not notice it in the field and it will only function when you are in the shooting position; when your head is down on the comb with consistant face pressure on the stock. This will eliminate your cross firing problem and your scores will improve. The dots can be cut down to 12mm or smaller as you adjust to your new found shooting experience. If you have any question send me a pm.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:10 PM

Thanks for the advice first off. Mostly relieved to know that I am not the only one. My vision is really good,no glasses needed (at least not yet). I think the best solution might be to strengthen up my shooting on my right shoulder as most guns are built for you guys anyways.I just find all the screwin around with magic dots and tape in the field a bit much, I find it really useful shooting clays or at the range, not so much in the field. Don't let me kill the thread though keep your 2 cents comin
Old 01-20-2011, 09:19 PM

There always seems to be great deals on left-handed golf clubs......ain't so with rifles.

You will be way better off shooting right-handed in the long run......lucky bugger

tm
Old 01-20-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
His problem is that his strong eye is not the one he uses Stinky. When he open both eyes, his dominant eye takes over and all he can see is down the side of the barrell......not down the scope. sux...been there

Solutions:

1) Surgery on your eyes

2) Switch shooting shoulders

3) Learn how to wink

4) Cover your eye somehow

tm

TM sums it up in my opinion....while very young ( 5-6 ) I could only wink ( control ? ) my right eye while doing extensive research and development with the Daisy Lever Action .... left eye dominent I guess..... however I am right handed and I shot a right handed bolt for years during my teens /twenties..... (did the Boddington technique ).... bought a left handed bolt gun when I got older and could afford it....can thankfully shoot things on the wing 'cause I figured out what worked for me.....
Old 01-21-2011, 09:41 AM

Both my girls, 12, and 13, are left eye dominant, but right handed and find shooting more comfortable right handed. A piece of tape on the left lense of the shooting glasses solved that problem. While hunting this year, they forgot to use the glasses and had no problem. They both harvested deer. May be they are learning to close the left eye?
Old 02-01-2011, 03:27 PM

I find the tape or "magic" dots works well but after using them my vision and especially my vision looking through binoculars really messed up.But as you mentioned if used for awhile my....submissive? anyway the weak eye is trying a lot harder but I am going to work on it and find a solution for sure,right shoulder prob will be the one tho lol.

AB2506 Good work with the girls by the way,mine is 13 and I am starting to lose her to the phone and nail polish,but she can still pick a gopher off at 80 yrds and helped gut a deer again this yr. And Damnit come to think of it,she can wink both eyes
Old 02-01-2011, 09:38 PM

I used the advice that Got Juice provided a couple of weeks ago, worked like a charm. Hit everything I shot at. There is a January Pheasant hunting posting on here that shows the results.

Cheers,

Nolan