Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-30-2017, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
On a note separate from fly fishing, I also do not like the fact that they stopped sending a return label with the stuff you ordered. I have never had a need use it when they did, but one of the calls I ordered this season was just a ****ty call with a very ****ty sound. I wanted to return it, but realized there was no return label. I went to my account and could not find anywhere I could print one from. I then went to their online order return policy (or wherever I found the info) and found out that I have to pay for the return label and they then determine whether I will be refunded the shipping fee upon the inspection of the item. Obviously I did not return the 20 some dollar call because most likely I would not get a refund on the shipping fees that I pay out of my pocket. Now, I am not sure if this change happened before or after the acquisition.
I have a piece of faulty Cabela's brand equipment. Went through the proper procedures for return. It has been a month now and still waiting for return shipping label????
Old 12-30-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
I have never seen anything about Chinadian Tire that gives me any hope for them as a shooting sports competitor.

I avoid them if at all possible.
But, but they sell SKS's there dont they...
Crappy Tire has some general stuff and for that they are good for.
Specialized stuff not so good.
Rob
Old 12-30-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
I have a piece of faulty Cabela's brand equipment. Went through the proper procedures for return. It has been a month now and still waiting for return shipping label????
Get back hold of them, your file has been lost. Seriously!
Old 12-30-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .257Weatherby View Post
But, but they sell SKS's there dont they...
Crappy Tire has some general stuff and for that they are good for.
Specialized stuff not so good.
Rob
Nope! Cambodian Tire officially pulled their SKS guns and made a corporate decision that they will not sell those evil guns.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Get back hold of them, your file has been lost. Seriously!
I have called them 4 times in Dec.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
I have called them 4 times in Dec.
Well that sucks. I guess not only are prices going up but he service is disappearing too. Got to love Monopolies.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:57 PM

Default on and on we go

Once upon a time there was a store called Wholesale sports that came to town and all the peasants were pleased , finally those greedy high priced independents would be forced into submission and sharpen their pencils. All the hunters would enjoy low low prices on top name brands(chinese everything). Alas as it turned out WSS was similar to the greedy independents with similar pricing minus the service.
If only there were some competition .We all despise WSS, imagine how wonderful and fulfilled our outdoor lives would be if we had a Cabelas!! Soon it was written , Cabelas came to save our souls from the evil WSS . But wait it get's better Bass Pro came along as well , it was a veritable utopia for outdoorsmen. Praise be !
Soon it was discovered that WSS was sold to UFA and understandably became badly managed.The community banded together in it's condemnation of this unholy alliance and banished WSS ,driving it into liquidation. we picked over the bones and bought every item at meager discounts , dutifully complaining it still wasn't enough, all along the way. They are history now and that is a blessed thing for they sinned against the sportsman by demanding a profit an nearly everything they sold.
Alas it would appear that Cabelas has formed an alliance with the evil Bass pro and is conspiring against the sportsman as well by demanding profits from their stores as well . This shall not stand, rise up sportsmen!! rise up and we shall drive them from the city ! For it is written what shall it profit a mega store if they don't discount their goods to the maximum percentage. We the sportmen , NEED more stuff we need 50 different styles of camo and we need it at dollar store prices.
Hey... maybe Canadian tire will save us from this evil Cabelas/Bass pro profiteering megamart.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Once upon a time there was a store called Wholesale sports that came to town and all the peasants were pleased , finally those greedy high priced independents would be forced into submission and sharpen their pencils. All the hunters would enjoy low low prices on top name brands(chinese everything). Alas as it turned out WSS was similar to the greedy independents with similar pricing minus the service.
If only there were some competition .We all despise WSS, imagine how wonderful and fulfilled our outdoor lives would be if we had a Cabelas!! Soon it was written , Cabelas came to save our souls from the evil WSS . But wait it get's better Bass Pro came along as well , it was a veritable utopia for outdoorsmen. Praise be !
Soon it was discovered that WSS was sold to UFA and understandably became badly managed.The community banded together in it's condemnation of this unholy alliance and banished WSS ,driving it into liquidation. we picked over the bones and bought every item at meager discounts , dutifully complaining it still wasn't enough, all along the way. They are history now and that is a blessed thing for they sinned against the sportsman by demanding a profit an nearly everything they sold.
Alas it would appear that Cabelas has formed an alliance with the evil Bass pro and is conspiring against the sportsman as well by demanding profits from their stores as well . This shall not stand, rise up sportsmen!! rise up and we shall drive them from the city ! For it is written what shall it profit a mega store if they don't discount their goods to the maximum percentage. We the sportmen , NEED more stuff we need 50 different styles of camo and we need it at dollar store prices.
Hey... maybe Canadian tire will save us from this evil Cabelas/Bass pro profiteering megamart.
ABSOLUTELY PERFECT. Great job!!!!
Old 01-21-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I have been to Sail a few times. I even bought rings from them a couple of years ago, just to return them later because they were almost 1.5 times cheaper in Cabela's. From my personal experiences, it is the most overpriced store I am am aware off. Granted, I do most of my shopping online just becuase of where I am, yet I have not bought anything from Sail online either due the prices being much higher than elsewhere.

And I agree, Cabela's sales have changed for the worse, but that was expected.
I am standing in Sail store in Burlington, Ontario right now and prices are pretty insane, I will tell you that. Ain’t no way they can compete with Cabela’s, or any other brick store I know of.

On the other hand I found some scope mounts I have been looking for a while and could not find anywhere, not even online in Canada and they refused to ship them from the US.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:20 PM
Banned

Think I’ll be makin a bit more of an effort to buy with some of the sponsors on here and cgn, I hope bass pro and Cabela’s are the next to fall, just like target.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Good one!!
This can be about any Canadian small business.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 01-21-2018, 07:19 PM

I think the bottom line is:

People complained about WSS service etc etc

But once the 50% sales started, they were first thru the door

Its such a nice ideology to buy from the little guy, the mom and pop store. Even if they are a little more money......

BS.

People are in it for themselves. Cheapest price sells.

Seriously if Bashaw Sports had a rifle for $1000, and WSS had it for $880, would ANYONE buy it at Bashaw just to “ support them”?
Old 01-21-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Think I’ll be makin a bit more of an effort to buy with some of the sponsors on here and cgn, I hope bass pro and Cabela’s are the next to fall, just like target.

That will just make it even worse! Why would you want that?

I would like to see more, not less.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

Its such a nice ideology to buy from the little guy, the mom and pop store. Even if they are a little more money......

BS.

Seriously if Bashaw Sports had a rifle for $1000, and WSS had it for $880, would ANYONE buy it at Bashaw just to “ support them”?
Agree!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
That will just make it even worse! Why would you want that?

I would like to see more, not less.
Because they are Canadian and if I have to pay a little more to support Canadians, I will, did you see their Boxing Day flyer? What a joke! The damage is done, there is a void, it’ll be filled. The deals I saw on some of sponsors sites are better than Cabela’s and bass pro, and I know their fly fishing section is a complete joke, I find they have a lot of generic krappolla, once in a blue moon they might have good deal but other than that why would I want throw my money away there? So I can buy Camo bed sheets? Maybe spend 50$ on a 5$ toy? My biggest hunk o junk knife would the crown jewel in bass pro, like really just a bunch of over priced junk! But hey, who am I to judge, some people like it like that!
Old 01-22-2018, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

BS.

Yes!! I do it with lots of the smaller guys like PR, P and D, Ellwood Epps and Bashaw. I will pay them more than Cabela's or Bass Pro for the same gun.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:24 AM
Banned

That close of a difference is worth the extra cost.

A little story for you.
I bought a Ruger 10/22 at a small shop. It had a flash suppressor on the end of the barrel. It was bought as a Christmas present for my son, bought late November. . Move to April, I finally took it out to sight it in. The flash suppressor fell off, threads are stripped. A few days later I make my way into this small shop, explain the situation and ask for a little direction in what to do next in the way of warranty, if there is one, and who to talk to. He told me to wait 10 minutes while he swapped out the barrel in front of me.
Obviously this can’t happen every time based on the nature of firearms but what do you think any of the box stores would’ve done?
I do buy at the big stores but it’s basic items. And only when I’m close to them. My bigger stuff is purchased at the smaller stores that still give proper service, JimBows Archery, Fly's Etc, and the like.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:26 AM

Well, one can always go and shop at W.
Oh Wait, they closed up shop last year.
The internet has created a huge disruption of what we once found convenient.
Now one can shop across the country or across the world with just a few strokes of the keys
and a Valid Credit Card.
Screw it, I'm going shopping for widgets, Amazon anyone?
Rob
Old 01-22-2018, 09:41 AM

oops, double tap.
my bad.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
I have never seen anything about Chinadian Tire that gives me any hope for them as a shooting sports competitor.

I avoid them if at all possible.
I agree. Every time I go in there I can't find anybody working the counter.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:34 AM

There are a couple of CT stores here that are quite good, close to home too. if I need a clerk to pull something out of a locked case, paging them is easy. I'm not there looking for their opinions either so expert advice is not a consideration, price and convenience is all that matters to me. I would rather buy from a Canadian owned big box than a US one just because. Also when you buy tags etc you get CT money!
Old 01-23-2018, 12:17 PM

Default New blood

With the old guard down and out, I will not shop at those stores(Cabela's and Bass pro)
I get my guns and ammo from Irunguns, I also get the odd goody off of amazon.
It's great when I know what I want, But i do miss shooting the stuff with the old guys at the counter.
I know there are a great number of stores around, I hope they keep their prices as manageable as possible and keeps their heads above water.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Also when you buy tags etc you get CT money!
I bought tags in Canadian Tire a number of times and have never received Canadian Tire money for it. In my experience, this is the only thing they don't give CT money for.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:01 PM

I get almost everything online now. Everything except guns that is.

The big box stores are good place to see and try things on, but like most on here the best price will almost always win
Old 01-23-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
I bought tags in Canadian Tire a number of times and have never received Canadian Tire money for it. In my experience, this is the only thing they don't give CT money for.
I don't think that they're supposed to, but I get it every time. Try ringing thru a couple extra items with your tags at the same time at the gun counter