Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-02-2017, 09:52 AM

Default Watching your kids do it all by themselves

I started my two children hunting as soon as I could, my daughter started at age 14, and my son the Pit Boss at age 12.
Jenna harvested a doe and a buck in her first year hunting.

Then in the Pit Boss' 12th year he took his first buck on his 12th Birthday too boot, and arrowed a bear the next spring.

Fast forward to this season.
With myself hunting some 5 hours from home Jenna comes home on the weekend, and proceeds to head to one of my stands, and knocks herself down a fine eating doe. She field dresses it by herself, and then hangs, skins, processes and heads home all in a 3 day span, she only phoned me once for advice I might add. I'm one proud daddy you could say.

The Pit Boss basically has a new job and has been very busy this fall. He managed to bag a few ruff grouse, and put himself on stand when he had time off, or got done early. Dad didn't have to reload or pack anything for him, again the initiative he shows makes me smile.

How have your children progressed and impressed you over the years?

There are no absolutes
Old 12-02-2017, 10:14 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Since the age of two my kids kicked around with me, fishing, hunting and to this day I will have hunting/fishing partners for life.
Time goes by fast, they grow up, move away but still come home to hang out with the ol'man....wet a line or sit on stand...great times.
You sir are blessed.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-02-2017, 10:35 AM
Banned

Ya, it's nice seeing them grow into independent outdoorsmen and woman. My son harvested 4 whitetail bucks and one mule deer buck so far, and this years buck he harvested while hunting with a friend. Each year they get a little bigger (both the boy and the bucks!).

First buck

Second buck

Third buck

Fourth buck

And the fifth and most recent buck (5-1/2" bases )

Next fall he's going to be 16 and doing his own scouting..... I'm feeling old
Old 12-02-2017, 02:26 PM

Default nice

I know the feeling but there is nothing better or to be more proud of is when they become little aldults of their own. Congrats to the kids
Old 12-02-2017, 03:20 PM

One son has been going with me since he was 2

My other son started this year at age 24

By end of season, youngest son had the oldest son butchering, tracking, spotting, stalking all with great success

I usually watched them through binoculars

Then, this pig of a mule buck walked out, and, well, I kinda interrupted their hunt somewhat......lol

Later in the season, they went hunting without me. First time.

I’m glad they are independent and don’t need me. It’s how it should be
Old 12-02-2017, 03:58 PM

Well, 3 of my kids have hunted with me (the oldest two had no interest)....and over the last few years, the youngest three just seemed to have lost interest as well. Busy with jobs, (all my kids have jobs!) friends, hockey, and generally just being good productive citizens (way better'n I was at that age!). So I hunt with a friend now and then, when I feel like it, and didn't fill a single tag in the last couple years because I didn't see anything that special and really couldn't be bothered. Just happy getting out now and then. Maybe someday the kids will want to get back into it. If and when they do, I guess I'll still have lots of rifles and ammo for them to get started.

Dick, great pics of your youngsters and their hunting success. I'd guess you should be proud!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-02-2017, 04:56 PM
Banned

Nice thread Dick284. And wow Kurt, amazing story and pictures. I have 2 daughters, and hunted with my eldest. She harvested 2 animals. Got her hands right in there when it came to field dressing, skinning etc. We've worked together as a family unit in the kitchen making sausage and jerky. My youngest had other interests. She's become a professional photographer and spends 3 months of the year in New York city teaching photography. Unfortunately my eldest daughter now lives in Edmonton and she took my grandson with her for crying out loud. The nerve of it, I had plans for him to become my hunting pardner.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:53 AM

Congrats guys and to your Significant other as well.
It is a well know fact that kinds that learn to Hunt, Shoot and Fish dont hang out at the local quickee-mart and rob lil Ole Ladies either.
Again, Congrats to the parents.
Rob
Old 12-03-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .257Weatherby View Post
Congrats guys and to your Significant other as well.
It is a well know fact that kinds that learn to Hunt, Shoot and Fish dont hang out at the local quickee-mart and rob lil Ole Ladies either.
Again, Congrats to the parents.
Rob
Oh ya I didn't mention that Mrs. D hunts as well.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-04-2017, 08:39 PM

My father always took the time to show us proper hunting ethics, didn't matter the weather conditions he would always let us run a knife or stop to take a peak, he taught me everything I know when it comes to hunting and being an outdoorsmen. Once I started to shoot bigger animals then him he started asking me to show him some tricks.

I have young children of my own now and cant wait to take them out when they are a little bigger.

Great work kidos keep it up.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:18 AM

Time in the field with my dad are some of my best memories. My kids are still small so they haven't done much by "themselves". They've both been coming with me since they were one. They're now two and four and have been with me shooting every type of game bird we have in the province, deer, bears, coyotes and gophers. They've helped me butcher elk and moose once home but I haven't taken them hunting for those two species. They ride in my backpack most times, the oldest one walks a bit now but still gets on my shoulders when he gets tired. I'm looking forward to them being old enough to bait their own hooks and hunt their own game but I'm also enjoying making memories with them at this age.
There's no such thing as to young to take, you just have to have an age appropriate hunt.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:53 AM

Nothing better than giving your kids the power of independence. They will most likely be very well rounded and productive citizens in our dependant society. Good job parents!!
Old 12-05-2017, 03:19 PM

Good Job Dads