Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-04-2017, 08:56 PM

Default 15x binos on a tripod

I know this is common in the states but I’m wondering if a lot of people around this province who hunt mule deer/elk run this combo? Seems like some guys run this setup instead of a spotting scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2017, 11:36 PM

I use my 10x42s on a tripod a lot. Unbelievable the difference it makes in what you see. I still pack my spotter most places though.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:48 AM

I have Steiner 20x80 binos, they're awesome.

I can clearly see elk antlers in low light when buddies Pentax can't even pick out the elk. We were antelope hunting and I said that I saw some antelope "down the road" all buddy could see was some rocks about a mile away. I said "no, look further" and about 3 miles away there they were..

They're Not easy to back pack and very deceiving because you can see animals that are too far away in the mountains to get to in a days hike. I don't use a tripod often because they're already enough to carry but odly, even though they aren't image stabilized they don't shake that much when I'm looking through them. Looking at the moon at night they collect so much light that it actually hurts my eyes. You'll pick out animals much easier with two eyes than with a spotting scope.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:20 AM

I throw my 15x on top of the head of one of my trekking poles. Works pretty well, and saves having to to lug around a tripod.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:26 AM

I needed something stronger than my Docter 10X42 binos so here comes the Optolyth Royal 15x63 B/GA. I really wanted Zeiss Dialyt 8x56 GA for the longest time, only to find out they are now discountined as of last year after 40+ years of production. Should've bought them last year.

I'm planning on running them on a tripod next hunting season