Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-29-2017, 10:02 AM

I'm going to spend as many as my days off in the woods. All general tags. A few trips out but most time will be spent in the bow zone.

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 07-29-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog Edm View Post
I'm going to spend as many as my days off in the woods. All general tags. A few trips out but most time will be spent in the bow zone.
Same deal for me except in November I go east for the big bucks. Bow zone for moose.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:05 PM

Nothing is written in stone but it's looking like some time in mountains for elk/bear in september, RMH for whitetails, get after some ducks/geese south and east of Calgary, anterless mulies down in the SE of the province in November, maybe a couple strolls in the bush for grouse around 412. Can't wait! Good thing I got a Vancouver Island fishing trip coming up to distract me!
Old 07-30-2017, 08:49 AM

Still haven't replaced my archery kit after it all was stolen last October.
Although I miss shooting with the kids in the evenings, I don't think I'll dive back in until next spring, maybe find some deals late season.

That having been said, me and the dog will spend as much time by the water over duck and goose decoys as possible this fall.
Maybe a few days of rifle for a whitetail for the freezer if the hockey schedule allows.
When you have a dog this good, it's hard to bring yourself to hunt anything but birds.
Oh yeah....lots of long walks for ruffies too!!
Old 07-30-2017, 08:54 AM

Default upcoming season

Gotta get that adrenalin fix looked after in September. I'll be chasing (hopefully) bugling bulls in the mountains, while dodging the odd grizzly.
October is sharptail month, and then it's pheasants, pheasants, and more pheasants right through until May (shooting grounds permits) to keep the dogs working hard. The only interruption will be a few days to fill my two doe tags down in 128.
Likely take another wander over to the Battle River area and check out the whitetail crop, and if time permits, maybe even a late season trip up north for wolf again. Still looking to connect on this one if anyone can offer tips/suggestions?!
Old 07-31-2017, 03:26 PM

I have one conference to go to this year, and don't you know it - it's in mid-September.

Planning on a weekend with my boys/nephews to go grouse hunting, then a extended weekend trip with my best friend to chase deer and elk in one of our sacred places. Hoping for a few jaunts for birds in Blackfoot etc. with the FIL too.

The way my kids are eating now, I told IncrediGirl that she should start hoping that I actually come home with something this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceadog View Post
Hosting a men's hunting retreat around Hinton through Church
What an awesome concept! Love it.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
What an awesome concept! Love it.
I'm pretty stoked and I've found a lot of fantastic hunters and fishermen in our circle of friends.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:05 AM
Banned

Looks like I'll be doing some upland bird hunting, then migratory and finally antlered moose in 163!
Old 08-01-2017, 08:20 AM

Montana elk hunt for my son and I first week of Sept. Archery Antelope mid September. My son has moose draw so that will be end of Sept, early oct, gonna do a 3-4 day sheep hunt end of oct (hopefully) and whitetails 2 and half weeks in November. Gonna be a great fall!!
Old 08-01-2017, 12:43 PM

Interesting posts on here. Some avid hunters for sure.
Shameless plug:
Check out episode 13 of our podcast. It's free to download.
www.highlanderhunting.podbean.com
Old 08-01-2017, 10:33 PM

Default Hunting season

Opening week of chasing sheep around in August. Week of hunting elk around Suffield with two friends ones has cow draw one has the bull draw. Prairie Bull moose for my wife opening week in November she says " NOTHING UNDER 50 inches." and she also has a mule buck tag in the same zone. Then up north I was successful in drawing the Buffalo tag in northern Alberta. .......busy season.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:53 AM

Starting off the year will mule deer and elk. Then moose in late sept-October then I'll be hunting mule deer and whitetails come November. Hoping to have some good goose and duck hunts during the hunting season to I should have 3-4 days to hunt during the week I'm hoping and maybe a few days to scout during the week to
Old 08-02-2017, 10:12 AM

Can't afford to take any time off this year unfortunately. Although I will be trying to head out for some grouse, and a whitetail or 2 on the weekends west of Edmonton.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybuck View Post
Opening week of chasing sheep around in August. Week of hunting elk around Suffield with two friends ones has cow draw one has the bull draw. Prairie Bull moose for my wife opening week in November she says " NOTHING UNDER 50 inches." and she also has a mule buck tag in the same zone. Then up north I was successful in drawing the Buffalo tag in northern Alberta. .......busy season.
You're going to have to quit your job!!!!
Old 08-04-2017, 05:11 PM

Looking at Sept 1-17th chasing elk and mulies with the bow. Possibly some rifle elk after that. Then sheep at the end of September. Haven't figured out October yet. November with a couple buddies will be moose, elk and whitetail hunt up North.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:29 PM

Default Plans

My 2 friends and myself are heading out for elk/ moose/ deer third for close to a week, should be a good time.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:32 PM

Default Rossena swnt

I fear that I'll spend the fall cleaning and polishing. All the areas I usually visit have been burnt to the roots, and the fires are still raging here. Might be a total scrub for lotsa folks here in BC. Think I'll have to change gears and head out to Swifty for a chance at specks and upland .....
Old 08-05-2017, 08:57 AM

Starting off with archery elk archery bull moose then General elk rifle if unsuccessful same as moose have first 10 days of October for rifle moose if need be then 10 days for Whitetail in November plus grouse hunting when I feel like it Lots around my cabin this year

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CranePete View Post
I fear that I'll spend the fall cleaning and polishing. All the areas I usually visit have been burnt to the roots, and the fires are still raging here. Might be a total scrub for lotsa folks here in BC. Think I'll have to change gears and head out to Swifty for a chance at specks and upland .....
That's a real bummer. I wonder how that works with LEH's? If you get drawn for an area that's been decimated, do they give you another option?

any BC people know?
Old 08-05-2017, 09:20 AM

Work is slowing down, so I'll be out as much as possible in Sept, Oct for Mulie and Whitetail. Then the rut I'll rifle hunt, depending on my luck with a bow. First season with a bow! Stoked.
Then my cousin got drawn for Elk in Elkwater. So I'll be tagging along with that hunt as well. All depending on if work picks up or drops off. Should have lots of time in the field. Thinking about doing some solo hunts off the beaten path. Lots of scouting ahead.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHLANDER HUNTING View Post
That's a real bummer. I wonder how that works with LEH's? If you get drawn for an area that's been decimated, do they give you another option?

any BC people know?
Thanks for the LEH lottery.....don't believe they are changing anything. ORV restrictions in place in many areas, limited access anywhere there are evacuation orders/alerts. I've been out of my house for almost a month.
Pete
Old 08-12-2017, 01:32 PM

Gonna start bowhunting Sept.1 evenings and weekends for moose and elk mainly,then 3 weeks moose guiding begins Sept.20.
Probably start rifle hunting Thanksgiving weekend for elk n WT....then take 3rd week Nov off,maybe 10days if I need to?
All in all pretty stoked and optimistic with a pocket full of tags.