Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-31-2017, 09:52 PM

Default Ridgetec Summit 4 Trail Cam Battery Life

Wondering anyone's experience with the ridgetec summit 4 cell cam. Received a new one from Uway this spring after my MB600 crapped out, finally got it into the field about 2 weeks ago and I am assuming the batteries are dead already as I stopped getting any emailed pics a couple days ago.

The cam takes 12 batteries, which I used Kirkland aa batteries and it had taken over 1,000 pics.

I am guessing lithium are the way to go ( I always change my cams to lithiums before it starts to get cold in October), I just expected the cell cam to last a little longer than 10 days in the field on kirklands. Kind of defeats the purpose if a guy has to run out every 2 weeks to change the batteries. Ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2017, 10:34 PM

Im not familiar with that specific model but of your photos did you have alot of night photos that used flash? If so that is a high drain on regular alkaline batteries

How long did the kirklands last in your older model?
Old 07-31-2017, 10:51 PM

There is a limit of how many pictures the camera will send you. You can go into the settings and increase or decrease the number. I know mine topped out at 1000, the camera continued to take pictures it just won't Text them to me. It's worth checking.

Good luck!
Old 08-01-2017, 10:30 AM

The limit is by day, you can do up to 50 a day. I have 3 of these camera's. I stay away from batteries all together. I have mine rigged with a Moultrie Power Panel that has the solar panel and battery built into one. Then I use that to feed into another external 12V battery that feeds the camera. Seems like a lot but its really not. The panel basically acts as a trickle charger and always keeps the external battery charged. I hang the battery pack behind the solar panel then only have one cable coming down to the camera via conduit to keep the animals from chewing the cable. This set up is an extra $150 but pays for itself over a couple years of not buying bulk batteries and having to drive out there to replace them which defeats a big portion of why we buy these cellular cameras in the first place. I have not tried the set up in November when its real cold, but as of now in these months the battery reading has never not been full.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:51 AM

Also after talking to their tech folks when I bought them, standard set of batteries gets you 500 pics roughly, and lithium's anywhere from 1000-1500 when using the cellular transmitting feature. This number depends on how good your cell reception is. Obviously you get more photos if you are not using the cellular send feature.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:11 PM

Thanks for the replies gents. For whatever reason the camera started sending pics again after a 5-6 day and 200 picture hiatus. Must of just had an issues sending pics for a couple days, but back to my regular emails.

As for Kirkland batteries, I am pretty sure I was getting several months during the warm months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk