Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-18-2016, 12:23 PM

Default AEHIA first time hunter program

Just wanted to give Elkhunter11 a big thanks for taking 2 days out of his hunting season and spending them showing me the ropes. It was intense two days with alot of miles spend walking, crawling and learning how to work the wind. Also got to learn a lot about WT behavior and how they respond to our presence.

Of course I learned even about myself as a hunter since i had someone with a lot of experience point out ever mistake I was making and guide me when it looking, stalking and setting up and not rushing a shot. Or even missing a doe at 50 yards because I forgot to take the safety off.

All in all anyone who is a first time hunter should definitely look into this program regardless of age. Of course the hunter was made even greater with a small doe being harvested.

So thanks again Elkhunter11
Old 11-18-2016, 12:38 PM

Well done elk hunter 11.

Sent from my SM-N915W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2016, 01:20 PM

That is a FANTASTIC program. Its unfortunate I took my course through AHEIA at the end of the season a few years ago and I wasn't able to participate in it. I really do wish I did.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:26 PM
Banned

Well done, elkhunter11.

Curious about this program. Is it a mentoring type of thing?
Old 11-18-2016, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Well done, elkhunter11.

Curious about this program. Is it a mentoring type of thing?
Its for people who have never hunted before after they finish their course at AHEIA. They are given the apportunity to go on a hunt for the game of their choice (Game Bird, Waterfowl, Deer, Elk, Moose....) with an emperienced AHEIA member. Its only available to new hunters who has finished their Hunter Ed course within that year. There no charge (donations are welcome - and encouraged) but you do need to cover your own incidental costs of going out and you need to provide your own equipment. Its pretty much a guided hunt without being a guided hunt. So yes, its a mentoring type of thing.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper6fd View Post
Its for people who have never hunted before after they finish their course at AHEIA. They are given the apportunity to go on a hunt for the game of their choice (Game Bird, Waterfowl, Deer, Elk, Moose....) with an emperienced AHEIA member. Its only available to new hunters who has finished their Hunter Ed course within that year. There no charge (donations are welcome - and encouraged) but you do need to cover your own incidental costs of going out and you need to provide your own equipment. Its pretty much a guided hunt without being a guided hunt. So yes, its a mentoring type of thing.
That is absolutely phenomenal! What a fantastic idea! I like everything about it because it's very rewarding for both parties.....especially if you are there for his first successful hunt. Bravo!
Old 11-19-2016, 09:07 AM

Thats a fantastic idea wow, I just finished mine online but would of loved to do this especially with an experienced hunter. I have a few friends that are hunters though, so hopefully they let me join. Sounds like a great experience and time. Nicely done elkhunter11

Should of gotten my cert in class it sounds like haha
Old 11-19-2016, 09:13 AM

That is a great story, but I am afraid that the OP has me confused with someone else. I have taken out several new hunters, but not this year, other than for pheasant.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:45 PM

Not looking for kudos, but just saying his story sounds a lot like my experience with artg last week.

It is an amazing experience to help new hunters harvest. Had two more harvest antlerless mule deer yesterday afternoon. The thrill of sharing their excitement is the reward.

There is always more demand than there is time to help. I have five this year and have to refuse some.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2016, 01:56 PM

Happy Hunter.

This is intended to be a picture. Sorry if it's not.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:11 PM

There's unbelievable joy after hiking hard, stalking a few different deer, missing some shots only to harvest two does in ten minutes.

Pictures don't capture the thrill of a first time hunt.

They never complained but we dragged these 1.5 miles. Then back to the shop, skinned, took tenderloins, backstraps, and quartered them for the drive home.

The best part of hunting is hunting. To be frank, I don't enjoy the gutting, dragging, skinning and processing into quarters but I haven't figured out how to avoid it on first time hunts. These two were heroes and dug in and did the work. I barely got blood on my hands.

Old 11-19-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phshrmn View Post
Not looking for kudos, but just saying his story sounds a lot like my experience with artg last week.

It is an amazing experience to help new hunters harvest. Had two more harvest antlerless mule deer yesterday afternoon. The thrill of sharing their excitement is the reward.

There is always more demand than there is time to help. I have five this year and have to refuse some.

You may not be looking for Kudos. but you certainly deserve them. Good job!
Old 11-21-2016, 09:41 AM

Well I feel like a idiot now it was Phshrmn not Elkhunter11. maybe another bottle of whisky will make up for my mistake.

you deserve the kudos.