Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-19-2016, 12:55 PM
Gone Hunting

Default No Bulls

Just got back from spending three days at the homestead, hunting Moose with my kid brother.

We saw Moose, no problem with that, but we couldn't see antlers on any of them at least not with any certainty. Ken thought one had a small rack but wasn't sure enough to pull the trigger.

Temp dropped this morning down to -18 and the Moose had pulled back into the heavy timber so we decided to wait a few days before giving it another go.

Our first day was spend getting gear together and machines running.

The next morning we did some scouting and planed on an evening hunt.

We did take a nice buck. Nothing special, just a nice freezer buck.
We were on our way out that evening to hunt Moose, minutes from the house this Buck cut across the road in front of us.
We talked it over and decided we might as well take him while we had the chance, good chance he wouldn't make it through the hunting season anyway what with every Tom Dick and Henriette hunting that area so we parked out trucks on the county road and headed down the old road in the hopes of intercepting him.
He did his part and stepped out into the trail a mere fifty yards in front of us. Ken put one .243 slug into his neck and we loaded him and hauled him back to the homestead to butcher him in comfort.

By the time we had him hanging it was too late to head in to our honey hole so we went Grouse hunting instead.
We found one wolf and Ken took three pokes at him from 350+ yards but didn't connect. We did get one limit of Grouse, plenty for a hearty supper so the day was successful from our point of view.

At first light the next morning we were trying to see antlers on our first Moose. One was clearly a Cow but the other looked like a yearling bull.
Unfortunately we couldn't see antlers so had to pass on him.
Ten minutes later we were classing another two Moose, Neither had antlers but there was a third Moose back in the Timber a ways. That one never gave us any more then brief glimpses as it worked it's way through the trees. Neither of us ever got a look at it's head so we have no idea whether it was a bull or a cow, all we could say with any certainty was that it was a big animal.

On the way out we saw a lone cow making a total for the three hour trip of six Moose seen zero shots fired.

Heading back in that evening we busted a dry cow up on the hill and another just as we entered the main meadow. The only other living thing we saw was a pair of grouse.

This morning was no better. Did a lot of shivering, it was -18 at first light, and there were fresh tracks where we had walked 10 hours earlier but we saw nothing but Ravens. I guess the Moose were smarter then we were and were holed up in cover keeping warm.

I had other commitments so that ended our hunt.
I'm back home now and almost warm again. And I'm plotting our next outing.
I might go back to that honey hole next week. We know the Moose are there and more are moving in every day now that the swamps are frozen solid or I may hunt a bit closer to home, and a heater.

God I love late season hunting. No crowds, no flies, no mud and lots and lots of Moose. Best of all the cutline cowboys have cleared out all the deadfall and knocked down all the grass. Travel is easy, Grouse are fat and plentiful.
Life doesn't get any better then that.

If they only knew what lies just beyond the end of that dead end cutline they would kick their own butts. Thankfully by the time they return next fall our trails will be all overgrown again and it will once again look like a dead end, until the snow signals it's time for us to fill our freezers.

George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by KegRiver; 11-19-2016 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:08 PM

Thanks for Posting Keg!! Nice deer!
Old 11-19-2016, 01:08 PM

Good job Keg ..dam fine buck there also ..congrats
Old 11-19-2016, 01:14 PM

Keep at 'er Keg. You'll get your bull.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:34 PM
Gone Hunting

Nice buck for sure.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-19-2016, 01:39 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Nice buck for sure.

He's pertty all right but I doubt he'd score over 170. Fine for the freezer but not one to hang on the wall.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-19-2016, 01:42 PM
Gone Hunting

Do a Euro and hang him on the garage..

Any guess on weight?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-19-2016, 01:44 PM

Default Sweet

Nice buck what zone are you guys in. I have been hunting 339 all month and have yet to see any moose let alone a bull. Keep the freezer full
Old 11-19-2016, 02:09 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Do a Euro and hang him on the garage..

Any guess on weight?
I doubt Ken would be interested even in that. He has a shed full of racks, some better a lot that aren't. He has never hung a rack anywhere. He sells them. He collects sheds and whatever he shoots because it pays for his ammunition.

We didn't weigh him but it was a struggle loading him, probability around 350+ live weight I'd think. All of us brothers are solid built. I can lift over 200 pounds without much effort but lifting a Deer and a hunk of Iron is two different situations. Even at the same weight the Deer will be harder to lift.
Between the two of us we should be able to load a 400 pound object without a struggle, if it's a solid object. A Deer that hasn't stiffened up yet might take a bit more effort so I'm guessing somewhere over 350 pounds.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-19-2016, 02:14 PM

Good stuff Keg.

Enjoyed the little writeup . Hope you find that bull.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:38 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prvallee View Post
Nice buck what zone are you guys in. I have been hunting 339 all month and have yet to see any moose let alone a bull. Keep the freezer full
We are hunting the 500 zones north of Peace River, not that the zone matters much.
If there are Moose in the area, they are still there somewhere.

Where we hunt, there are no roads and not much for cutlines or cutblocks. That's why the Moose are there. The cutline cowboys drove them out of the easy access areas which works great for us.
It means we don't have to go far from home to hunt. We could run our quads right from the homestead but prefer to drive the gravel part of the route with something with a heater in it.
It's gets a bit chilly this time of year.

In other words we are close to Hawk Hills, which is where I live. No need to be more specific, the Moose won't be there when the crowds arrive in the fall anyway, they never are. They move in after freeze up.
But they do move in in greater numbers then they used to because all the quad traffic further out bothers them. They get no peace and quite out there once the crowds arrive.

Here the only disturbance they have to deal with is a few locals and a pack or two of Wolves. Works for them and works for us.

If you are not seeing Moose where you are hunting, move. Find a place that takes some work to get to and you'll find the Moose.
They don't leave the country when things get busy in the fall, they just move a short ways off the easy routes to where the cutline cowboys never go.

Many times when trapping I'd find areas trampled by Moose within sight of cutblocks and cutlines full of quads and not a single track on those cutlines only a few hundred yards away.

They key is to know the area, all of it. Not just the roads and cutline but what lies beyond.

We all know that Big bucks often spend their days within spitting distance of people without ever being seen.
Moose do that too. At least the educated ones do. The only difference is Moose are creatures of the forest, not of farms fields and meadows.
But the same principal applies.

Deer will live in a patch of brush on a golf course, Moose will live in a swamp on the edge of town. Same principal different creature and different environments.

Deer bed in one area and eat in another, Moose bed where they are and feed where they are. Big as they are they can live right under peoples noses.

This time of year you will find them in the willows. Not where there is open water but close to open water if they can. If there is more then an inch of snow they have all the water they need where ever they go, so look for dry sloughs and swamp where people rarely go. That's where the Moose will be.

Good luck and stay warm.

George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by KegRiver; 11-19-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 03:15 PM

Thanks for the help and ideas.
Old 11-19-2016, 03:33 PM

Nice buck Keg, good luck on getting that moose, and stay warm my friend.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-19-2016, 04:46 PM

To me that is a GREAT buck!!! I have yet to see one over 100" with rifle in hand. But then again I don't usually get much time to hunt deer. This year I still have an elk tag in my pocket... was on a herd of elk a few days ago and the bull bugled his cows off the field around 7:15 am. It was November 14 latest that I've ever heard a bugle. Followed them into the timber a little bit and found a nice spot to setup on them. But the wife wanted me home by noon and I have been working away from home ever since. I sure hope they are still hitting that field when I get a couple days off!!! Good luck to you on your moose Keg and to everyone else!!
Old 11-19-2016, 05:25 PM

Great writeup, Keg. Hope you connect on a bull yet!
Old 11-19-2016, 05:38 PM

Thanks for the story. Cool bases on that "freezer" buck
Old 11-19-2016, 10:38 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z7Extreme View Post
To me that is a GREAT buck!!! I have yet to see one over 100" with rifle in hand. But then again I don't usually get much time to hunt deer. This year I still have an elk tag in my pocket... was on a herd of elk a few days ago and the bull bugled his cows off the field around 7:15 am. It was November 14 latest that I've ever heard a bugle. Followed them into the timber a little bit and found a nice spot to setup on them. But the wife wanted me home by noon and I have been working away from home ever since. I sure hope they are still hitting that field when I get a couple days off!!! Good luck to you on your moose Keg and to everyone else!!
I'm not concerned about finding a bull, I know they are there, I just have to be there when they are in the open or in the mood to come to a call.
I've never failed to get my bull when I have the time to hunt.

Elk are another matter, I wouldn't know where to start with them. I've never held an Elk tag or put my crosshairs on one. Ever.

I'm not hunting Deer this year, I'll have more then enough meat with one Moose, in fact we are giving half of whatever I take, to my daughter and her family. If she hadn't have asked, I'd be hunting Deer, it would take us a couple of years, or more to eat one Moose ourselves. But I do prefer Moose meat over all other options that I'm familiar with.

As for not seeing bigger Deer, I wouldn't worry about that. I will pull the trigger on a 100 class buck any day if I am hunting Deer. They taste just as good and are easier to handle by yourself.

We hunt private land surrounded by private land with little to no access so these Deer don't get shot at every time they stand up. That tends to lead to more mature bucks.
In the more developed land where there is more access I don't see many bucks over 100 inches even though they are less then an hour from where we hunt.

We don't try to keep all the Deer for ourselves or try to take the biggest bucks. We just don't care for rutted up roads and cut fences so we limit access to friends and neighbors and they do likewise.

If you could find land like that down there I'm betting you'd be seeing bigger bucks a lot more often.
It's gotta be tough for a Deer to survive where the hunters fight each other for access to the few patches of ground open to them.

It's not that outsiders aren't welcome. In fact there is a fellow from Calgary here right now. He's hunting my son in laws land and living in my next door neighbors bunk shack. He's welcome here, on my land and most of the land around me because he has proven he can be trusted.

What many people don't seem to get is that most of us have been burned enough times that we just don't take chances with strangers.

You may be the nicest, most considerate fellow in the province, but the only way we can learn that is by watching you hunt for a few years.
It just isn't gonna happen over night.

It may not be fair to you, but it's not fair to us either. Why should we have to take chances so that you get what you want? We get nothing out of it, in many cases and it can cost us a lot.

What's it cost you? At most all it means for you is that you may have to drive a little further then you'd like to.
For us it can mean many hours of repairing fences that were sound before the hunter arrived, and many hours of rounding up stray livestock.
It can even mean a $2,500 cow winds up coyote bait because someone shot her and left her to rot.

I haven't even touched on the cost of rutted roads because someone with a two ton four by four didn't have enough sense to stall off them till they dried up. I drove just such a road this morning. For over a mile my front wheals were on one side of the road and my back on the other, not because it was slippery but because the ruts were so deep and frozen so hard that even in four wheal drive I couldn't climb out of them.

Fortunately that was not one of our farm lanes but it very well could have been if we had granted access to the fools that made that mess.

What I'm telling you is be patient. Get to know some land owners, use respect and follow the law and in time you will see doors open that aren't open to just anyone.
That's where you will find the big bucks. Not on the grazing leases and public ground where the crowds go.

When a land owner tells you there are already hunters on his land, he is telling you that if you are patient it will be worth the wait, There will be something left worth going after.
Believe me, if he threw the gates for everyone it wouldn't be long and only scrawny Deer would remain and the trails would be obstacle courses and the camping spots would be garbage dumps.

That's just the way it is in this modern world.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-20-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I'm not concerned about finding a bull, I know they are there, I just have to be there when they are in the open or in the mood to come to a call.
I've never failed to get my bull when I have the time to hunt.

Elk are another matter, I wouldn't know where to start with them. I've never held an Elk tag or put my crosshairs on one. Ever.

I'm not hunting Deer this year, I'll have more then enough meat with one Moose, in fact we are giving half of whatever I take, to my daughter and her family. If she hadn't have asked, I'd be hunting Deer, it would take us a couple of years, or more to eat one Moose ourselves. But I do prefer Moose meat over all other options that I'm familiar with.

As for not seeing bigger Deer, I wouldn't worry about that. I will pull the trigger on a 100 class buck any day if I am hunting Deer. They taste just as good and are easier to handle by yourself.

We hunt private land surrounded by private land with little to no access so these Deer don't get shot at every time they stand up. That tends to lead to more mature bucks.
In the more developed land where there is more access I don't see many bucks over 100 inches even though they are less then an hour from where we hunt.

We don't try to keep all the Deer for ourselves or try to take the biggest bucks. We just don't care for rutted up roads and cut fences so we limit access to friends and neighbors and they do likewise.

If you could find land like that down there I'm betting you'd be seeing bigger bucks a lot more often.
It's gotta be tough for a Deer to survive where the hunters fight each other for access to the few patches of ground open to them.

It's not that outsiders aren't welcome. In fact there is a fellow from Calgary here right now. He's hunting my son in laws land and living in my next door neighbors bunk shack. He's welcome here, on my land and most of the land around me because he has proven he can be trusted.

What many people don't seem to get is that most of us have been burned enough times that we just don't take chances with strangers.

You may be the nicest, most considerate fellow in the province, but the only way we can learn that is by watching you hunt for a few years.
It just isn't gonna happen over night.

It may not be fair to you, but it's not fair to us either. Why should we have to take chances so that you get what you want? We get nothing out of it, in many cases and it can cost us a lot.

What's it cost you? At most all it means for you is that you may have to drive a little further then you'd like to.
For us it can mean many hours of repairing fences that were sound before the hunter arrived, and many hours of rounding up stray livestock.
It can even mean a $2,500 cow winds up coyote bait because someone shot her and left her to rot.

I haven't even touched on the cost of rutted roads because someone with a two ton four by four didn't have enough sense to stall off them till they dried up. I drove just such a road this morning. For over a mile my front wheals were on one side of the road and my back on the other, not because it was slippery but because the ruts were so deep and frozen so hard that even in four wheal drive I couldn't climb out of them.

Fortunately that was not one of our farm lanes but it very well could have been if we had granted access to the fools that made that mess.

What I'm telling you is be patient. Get to know some land owners, use respect and follow the law and in time you will see doors open that aren't open to just anyone.
That's where you will find the big bucks. Not on the grazing leases and public ground where the crowds go.

When a land owner tells you there are already hunters on his land, he is telling you that if you are patient it will be worth the wait, There will be something left worth going after.
Believe me, if he threw the gates for everyone it wouldn't be long and only scrawny Deer would remain and the trails would be obstacle courses and the camping spots would be garbage dumps.

That's just the way it is in this modern world.

I understand completely Keg!! I'm not from the south. I live in a very small town in the North. Where everybody knows everybody, And if noone knows you permission can be hard to come by. I have permission on lots of great land to hunt and haven't been told no yet. I use full respect and word has got around just like you are saying I guess. I rarely travel more than 30 mins from my doorstep. And know of big deer every year harvested in the same areas I'm hunting. When I said that I haven't seen a big deer with rifle in hand I wasn't complaining. I know the hard work and amount of time it takes to tag a booner. And while I'm not afraid of hard work, I rather ejoy it actually, my time afield is something that I fall short on. Most years I use all my time off on hunting elk in the rut.This year being the exception because I used all my time off to get married and go on a honeymoon. Even though it was well worth it I still wish I had been able to get out more then. I just kept telling myself maybe just maybe I will be able to be hunting the end of November. This months not over yet, and my hopes are still high. But working away from home and only coming home for a couple days at a time makes me feel guilty for going hunting and not spending time with my family. Anyways happy hunting. May the sun always be at your back and the wind in your face. And if you've never had a bull elk bugling in your face a mere 10-15 yards away, I hope you someday get to experience it!!!
Old 11-20-2016, 04:22 PM

Great story keg! Nice buck and as always great insight.

BW.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
He's pertty all right but I doubt he'd score over 170. Fine for the freezer but not one to hang on the wall.
Ha, is sure as heck hang that sucker.. nice euro mount! Good story thanks.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:21 PM

Very nice buck !!! You don't see them like that in to many places.
My wife speaks fondly about growing up on a homestead in Hawk Hills. You've got a great area to hunt !!!!