Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-18-2015, 07:53 AM
Banned

Default Youth starter setups?

My son has decided he wants to start on the fly rod. I have two setups, neither are expensive. One is a TFO rod, 8'6" 5w, the other is a Hardy and Greys 8'6" 4/5w. Are these just to big? My son is 9, 105lbs, 4'10". He is athletic and is loving the outdoors. I'm just wondering what the "youth" setups will bring to him that these won't.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:18 AM

In my very limited experience from last year...nothing will be gained. The TFO sounds just fine.I taught a youngster last year how to use a fly rod. He wasn't much taller but maybe 15 pounds heavier. He made out just fine with my 4/5 weight rod that is 9 feet.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:51 AM

Default You're fine

I've taught more than a few kids as young as grade 4 to cast a flyrod at the school I used to teach at. I used standard 9 foot rods 5/6 weights.

I think you're fine with either set-up. Perhaps try the shorter, lighter rod, but really, give your boy a chance to cast both.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:24 AM
Banned

Thanks. I had him out yesterday in the school field. He only practiced for about 10 minutes but he went from throwing line out to actually having some rhythm. Then we came back and watched a couple of youtube video's on casting techniques. I'm really hoping he sticks with it.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:57 PM

that's big enough IMO for a regular sized fly rod. Much younger and I'd get him an Echo Gecko

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 05-18-2015, 05:04 PM
Banned

Default Youth starter setups?

Took him out again today. He still needs work on the rhythm and on the front "false" cast. His lay down isn't bad, probably every bit as good as mine already (that's really not saying much though).

Overall he is having fun and that's the biggest thing for me.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:13 PM
Banned

https://vimeo.com/128695631

Another day out. We did some goer shooting and then stopped in and dropped the fly in the water for about 40 minutes. He still has work but it's been a steady improvement and he is really enjoying it.

Last time out he was using the Hardy and Grey rod, this time he used the TFO. I think he did better with it. I also have a 6 weight Fenwick that I am going to get him to try. I didn't really want to use it much but I think this just may be the right occasion.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:56 PM

I'd say he is doing real well.Looks like you have a fishing partner!!!!
Old 05-23-2015, 10:24 PM
Banned

I'm hoping so. My Dad told me he thinks he has a vest for him. If not, he can have mine. I think it's to small for me anyway, wink wink.....lol

My dad also has a 4w blank that he will do up over the winter. I have 4 weight lines already set up on a reel but now it's a good excuse for me to buy another reel too. My wife is really going to hate that he's enjoying this stuff. Now I need my Dad to tie use some flies too. A fly bench next to the reloading bench next to the RC bench, next to the............