Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-19-2015, 04:31 PM

Default Wind and Fly Fishing.

How do you guys get around the wind when fly fishing. ? Its been blowing here for over a week. Any tricks a newb dont know? I tried casting short and or not false casting much but then im not hitting the spots i want that way. Im using a #5 thought it should do better than that. I also try to of course find wind breaks where i can. I use WF line. What do guys do? Wind seems to limit a guy.

Dont like having to take my spoon chuckers along but if i didnt i wouldnt catch anything. Id like to fly fish only but it dont look like its going to happen any time soon at this rate. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:41 PM

Practice up on your roll cast. Lots of good stuff on Youtube if you have the time. The whole idea is to use the surface tension of the water to load your rod, instead of your back-cast.

There's also some good info on Youtube for single-handed spey casting. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it would work well in a wind.

The wind can be your friend...

Ozzz
Old 05-19-2015, 07:14 PM

The way that i work around the wind is this. On the back cast let your line fall down onto the water, instead of start your forwards cast in the air like usual. Than like Ozzzzz said, us the surface tension of the water to load your rod for the forward cast. Also while doing this try to keep your rod/line as close to the water as you can to avoid the wind as much as possible. Wind at first was very frustrating while trying to cast. Thats not the case anymore. Now the problem is trying to mend your line in the wind. Damn near impossible. You pick your line up to start your mend and the wind carries it downstream, making it worse than it started. At times like that i usually just switch to a streamer so i don't care if i get drag in my line.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:19 PM

You can false cast as many times as you want but stop your back cast high as the wind will blow it down. Look up Doug swisher on you tube he is likely the best single hand fly caster in the world.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:26 PM

Google Pete Kutzer with Orvis. He has some great videos for casting.

-Confucius
Old 05-19-2015, 09:39 PM

Have a look at youtube /bumcast.He has tips on casting in the wind among some others.Some of the sweetest casting I've ever seen.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:51 PM

I just resort to strong double hauling and a very long and colourful list of expletives.