Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-24-2013, 02:19 PM

Default Bowhunting Inside City Limits?

Hi Everyone,

I was speaking with a Fish and Wildlife officer this morning and asked about bowhunting inside city limits of Calgary. I had heard that if you have written permission on 40 consecutive acres (or something like that) that you are allowed to hunt within city limits.

When I asked the officer about this, he told me that just this morning he was speaking with the Calgary Police Department about this exact question, and they said that under no circumstances can you discharge any "firearm" within city limits, including a bow and arrow.

This sounds odd to me, as I was pretty sure there's a lot of bowhunting going on within 212 that falls inside city limits.

What do you know about this? I picked up a bow this summer and was trying some bowhunting out in a general mulie zone way to the East. But I have access to a good chunk of property inside city limits with a lot of deer, and thought I'd look into this.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks. P.S. - I haven't reviewed the regulations directly yet as this hasn't been a priority. Not totally sure if I want to hunt that close to civilization anyways, but it's interesting to me regardless.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:20 PM

And this is a prime example correlating to another thread happening regarding baiting and relying on law enforcement / officers to clarify actual laws. Id dig a little deeper. Reference the Edmonton bow zone.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:37 PM

Go down to any CPS District office and ask. After all, they'll be the one's enforcing the law.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:57 PM
Banned

The first thing that comes to mind is the definition of a firearm. It seems to me that 500 fps has something to do with it but check it out.

It also seems to me that there is an archery range on hwy 8 west of Sarcee Trail thats inside city limits but check it out.

The Calgary Archery Centre is inside city limits. Do they need some sort of special permit to be able to discharge bows inside city limits? Check it out.

I have a friend that owns 2 1/4s in 212. One of them is inside city limits. He told me a few years ago that he investigated it thouroughly and was 100% legal to bowhunt there. But don't take my word for it. Check it out.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swangin View Post
The first thing that comes to mind is the definition of a firearm. It seems to me that 500 fps has something to do with it but check it out.

It also seems to me that there is an archery range on hwy 8 west of Sarcee Trail thats inside city limits but check it out.

The Calgary Archery Centre is inside city limits. Do they need some sort of special permit to be able to discharge bows inside city limits? Check it out.

I have a friend that owns 2 1/4s in 212. One of them is inside city limits. He told me a few years ago that he investigated it thouroughly and was 100% legal to bowhunt there. But don't take my word for it. Check it out.
Yup in so are the gun range within the city
Old 10-24-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooseSlammer View Post
Thanks. P.S. - I haven't reviewed the regulations directly yet as this hasn't been a priority.
Was smart to post then. Someone will do it for you.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:48 PM

I looked into this quite a few years ago. I talked with F&W and they were ok with it but directed me to Calgary bylaw enforcement. They told me that there was a minimum size of property (I cant remember how much) and as long as you are not hunting near buildings or roads it was ok. This was at least 15 years ago so maybe things have changed. I hunted that property for at least 5 years and never had any issues. I was unfortunately never successful, but the land owners son tagged one every year.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:32 PM

bow and arrow isn't a firearm , unless your lighting the arrow on fire before you shoot it there is no fire.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:37 PM

^^^^AND..... i dont know of any compound bow that can shoot over 500fps.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:44 PM

From the City of Calgary Bylaws.

http://www.calgary.ca/CA/city-clerks...f?noredirect=1

Quote:
DANGEROUS AND UNLAWFUL PRACTICES
Unless otherwise lawfully authorized, no person shall convey a firearm, pellet
gun, B.B.
gun, air gun, or gas operated gun in which a round of ammunition for such a gun or firearm
is in the chamber within the City.
(1)
No person shall discharge a firearm, pellet gun, B.B. gun or a gas powered gun
within the City.
(2)
Notwithstan
ding Subsection (1), the Chief of Police may authorize the discharge of
a firearm or gun for animal control purposes, special events or within the range
facilities of a gun club or similar organizations.
(3)
An authorization under Subsection (2) shall be
in writing and may be in the form of
a specific authorization or an annual permit for a specified location, event or activity.
(4)
Subject to Subsection (2) an authorization under this section may be granted, with
or without conditions, where, having
regard to the circumstances and location of the
discharge activity, it is deemed, in the absolute discretion of the Chief of Police, to
be in the public interest.
(5)
The Chief of Police may further delegate any authority under this Section to a
designate
d person or position in The Calgary Police Service.
(B/L 32M96, 1996
June
24)
No person shall shoot an arrow from a bow of any nature, over, across, or along any
portion of a Street, public place, or upon any land owned by The City unless otherwise
authorized pursuant to a bylaw of The City of Calgary, or in the case of a Park, unless
authorized by the Director, Parks or his designate.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
From the City of Calgary Bylaws.

No person shall shoot an arrow from a bow of any nature, over, across, or along any
portion of a Street, public place, or upon any land owned by The City unless otherwise
authorized pursuant to a bylaw of The City of Calgary, or in the case of a Park, unless
authorized by the Director, Parks or his designate.

http://www.calgary.ca/CA/city-clerks...f?noredirect=1
No where does it talk about Private land.

It has to be 40 continuous acres, owned by a single person/ corp, written permission is required, and must be carried while hunting. Firing a projectile rules apply, to neighboring homes.

There are part of the city, that have special bylaws preventing the firing of bows as well...

Talk to Cps, Bylaw and F&W, tell them what your planning to do.... Be prepared to have at least one if not all of them at your truck every time you go hunting there. The more you go , the less they show up eventually.

Good luck
Old 10-24-2013, 10:43 PM

The above post refers to The City of Calgary owned land, the OP is clearly asking about privately owned land as he said he has written permission on it. This bylaw would not apply to privately owned land.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
No where does it talk about Private land.
No it doesn't, I only posted the link, and the bylaws listed, to clarify what the bylaws do stipulate about the discharge of arrows.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:12 PM

It use to be legal to hunt within the city of Edmonton town limits with a any until they changed the wording a number of years back to read "discharge a weapon".
It use to say "firearm".
Old 10-24-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
It use to be legal to hunt within the city of Edmonton town limits with a any until they changed the wording a number of years back to read "discharge a weapon".
It use to say "firearm".
This bylaw also refers to public land, the only bylaw I found on weapons does not refer to private land, I shoot my bow in my backyard all the time. I'm sure the cops would show up if someone complained but it's legal and that is what fences are for.

I don't know if there is much land worth hunting on within the Edmonton city limits, but the bylaw makes no mention to private land
Old 10-25-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philintheblank View Post
This bylaw also refers to public land, the only bylaw I found on weapons does not refer to private land, I shoot my bow in my backyard all the time. I'm sure the cops would show up if someone complained but it's legal and that is what fences are for.

I don't know if there is much land worth hunting on within the Edmonton city limits, but the bylaw makes no mention to private land
Sorry, that should have said "bow", not "any".

Within City of Edmonton town limits includes private property within the city.

That's for Edmonton. I have no clue about Calgary bylaws.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Sorry, that should have said "bow", not "any".

Within City of Edmonton town limits includes private property within the city.

That's for Edmonton. I have no clue about Calgary bylaws.
Bylaw 14614
Weapons 9 (1) A person shall not possess any loaded weapon, capable of launching or firing a projectile, in a public place.

(2) A person shall not cause or permit a weapon to launch or fire a projectile in a public place.

That's the only reference I found regarding weapons. Maybe I missed something.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:56 PM

Default city limits

To answer your question and as I am a bowhunter as well my son is a peace officer , you are not allowed to shot a projectile within the city limits. It does't matter if it private or not , if the land falls within the city limits you are not allowed to shot any projectile. Furthermore , most counties in alberta have adopted this same law and it aplies to developed land meaning acreage developements within the county. I recently found this out as a freind has an acreage and is having a deer issue and I am not able to hunt it . I was really surprised by this law , but better to ask than to go to court , ignorance is not an defence.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdslayer View Post
To answer your question and as I am a bowhunter as well my son is a peace officer , you are not allowed to shot a projectile within the city limits. It does't matter if it private or not , if the land falls within the city limits you are not allowed to shot any projectile. Furthermore , most counties in alberta have adopted this same law and it aplies to developed land meaning acreage developements within the county. I recently found this out as a freind has an acreage and is having a deer issue and I am not able to hunt it . I was really surprised by this law , but better to ask than to go to court , ignorance is not an defence.
Sorry sir, but that info is incorrect. You may indeed bow hunt within city limits on privately held land. The trick is to make sure to adhere to the rules about discharging the distance required from residences. That can be the tricky part. I will talk to my F & W neighbour today or tomorrow and get an answer in order to put people at ease.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdslayer View Post
Wrong...
Old 10-28-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex811 View Post
Go down to any CPS District office and ask. After all, they'll be the one's enforcing the law.
^^^^^Exactly^^^^^.

Here's the response for Edmonton:

Old 11-15-2013, 10:31 AM

So the big bucks have started showing up where I was thinking of hunting, and I couldn't take it any more so I got on the phone with every possible person I could to clarify this issue for me.

The final conclusion based on several discussions with Fish and Wildlife, Calgary City Police, and City ByLaws is that you cannot discharge a bow and arrow inside the city (even on private land with permission) as it is a direct violation of a bylaw. They said as it is considered a projectile, and it could kill someone if they were hit with it, that's one of the factors for public safety's sake. One officer at the relevant police office also read me a direct line out of the bylaws that said "discharging a bow in any manor within the city is an automatic court appearance". That one surprises me, as you think of shooting at targets on an acreage or something and wonder what the problem would be.

Anyhow, I've heard enough from the authorities to make me convinced it's not a good idea, and I go hunting to enjoy the outdoors, not look over my shoulder and worry if someone is watching me, so I'm going to have to bail out of the plan. Interesting discussion on here though, and thanks to everyone for their input. I was just watching and listening before I made these last calls.

Thanks.