Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-13-2013, 04:00 PM

Default Safety Harness - need feedback ASAP.

So I missed a big buck yesterday and my safety harness is getting some of the blame. The buck come in on my right so I had turn with my back away from the tree. I am using the harness that come with my stand and the tree strap attaches tightly to the tree and the tether isn't long enough to give that room to turn and shoot this way. I do know that harness is meant to be set tight like this to prevent a long fall if you do fall but this is just to tight.

Anyone use this or something link it?

http://www.basspro.com/Hunter-Safety...product/79339/

I do take some of the blame but my harness did put me in a tight spot.

Doodle
Old 11-13-2013, 04:33 PM

I have a big game tree stand harness. Picked it up a cabelas. The tether always gets in the way. So I learn to either lower it a bit were you attaché it to the tree or accept it and wait a few minutes or seconds longer till you have a no interruption with your draw.

Gordon
Old 11-13-2013, 05:14 PM

Before you started using your harness did you take any sort of training or info session on the use of a body harness? Most people using them dont use them properly and dont understand that should you fall you need to be gotten down from hanging in the harness ASAP. 15 minutes hanging can and has been fatal, while that may seem like an extended period of time to not be able to get your self out of your harness i can tell you from personal experience that falling in a body harness is an experience completely unlike anything i have ever lived thru, and ive done it twice. After 10-15 minutes hanging in a harness there is a good chance that a blood clot has formed in your femoral artery and once you get out its on its way to your heart. Secondly most people actually wear the harnesses improperly, they should be uncomfortable when your wearing them, if the leg straps fit loose or sag low when you fall think about where those straps are going to stop. most fall arrest courses show a picture of a guy that fell in a harness with his leg straps done up loosely and his "parts" weren't where they should have been. I personally wont wear a harness, id rather fall 12 feet to the ground than fall and hang in a harness, but to each their own.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 REM MAG View Post
Before you started using your harness did you take any sort of training or info session on the use of a body harness? Most people using them dont use them properly and dont understand that should you fall you need to be gotten down from hanging in the harness ASAP. 15 minutes hanging can and has been fatal, while that may seem like an extended period of time to not be able to get your self out of your harness i can tell you from personal experience that falling in a body harness is an experience completely unlike anything i have ever lived thru, and ive done it twice. After 10-15 minutes hanging in a harness there is a good chance that a blood clot has formed in your femoral artery and once you get out its on its way to your heart. Secondly most people actually wear the harnesses improperly, they should be uncomfortable when your wearing them, if the leg straps fit loose or sag low when you fall think about where those straps are going to stop. most fall arrest courses show a picture of a guy that fell in a harness with his leg straps done up loosely and his "parts" weren't where they should have been. I personally wont wear a harness, id rather fall 12 feet to the ground than fall and hang in a harness, but to each their own.
Well I didn't take any training ( wasn't aware of such a thing) but I did watch the video. My harness has a strap that I can tie to the lineman loops. You us it as a stamp to stand on to prevent clots if you do happen to fall.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:31 PM

I've solved that problem, I just don't go more than 3 feet off the ground
On a serious note, know how to and use your harness, keep a knife where you can use it. Yes 15 minutes hanging there can kill you. Be safe
Old 11-13-2013, 08:32 PM

I use a spider tree harness, it has a bungee in the tether that allows you to stretch out a bit or turn and shoot behind. It has defiantly came in handy.
http://www.robinsonoutdoors.com/tree-spider/
On a side note they also sell live wire. Its a decent device that lowers you in a controlled decent down to the ground up to 25 feet. you only have to fall once to make this stuff worth every penny.
Hope this helps. Be safe and happy hunting
Old 11-13-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhouben View Post
I use a spider tree harness, it has a bungee in the tether that allows you to stretch out a bit or turn and shoot behind. It has defiantly came in handy.
http://www.robinsonoutdoors.com/tree-spider/
On a side note they also sell live wire. Its a decent device that lowers you in a controlled decent down to the ground up to 25 feet. you only have to fall once to make this stuff worth every penny.
Hope this helps. Be safe and happy hunting
Thanks guys. I just come back from buying the device in the link I posted. This is my first year wearing the harness so didn't know that was going to be an issue.

My shooting lane on that side is about 5 feet and I was just drawing as the buck was about to step into the shooting lane only to find out I could draw. So I try to loosen the tree strap as I stop the buck. Reattach my release and get a shot away. It all happened to quick and all I got was some hair off his back.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:36 PM

Just to clarify hanging in a harness for an extended period isn't about blood clots its about suspension trauma. If you are motionless and hanging in a harness you circulation is restricted and your blood will become toxic with excess acidity in as little as 3 minutes. If you are able to move around you can help prevent this from occurring as quickly however it can still potentially happen. Even getting to the ground and laying down right away can cause serious issues as the toxic blood that pools in your legs can rush into you heart and potentially cause your heart to stop. (scary stuff eh?)

When a prussix (that sliding knot) is under load it is near impossible to release with out getting the weight off of it. I personally don't like those long tethers because if you fall on them that prussix is way up above your head and can be difficult to unload.

I use my climbing harness with my safety line which goes to the ground tied into my waist belt. Rule of thumb is you don't want to fall more then 6ft on any system especially one that is static. By tying in at my waist I can pivot around to shoot and access the prussix should I fall. if I do fall and can't reach my ladder a couple wraps of the line around my foot allow me to stand up on the line to release the prussix and get off the rope. Even better if you don't mind spending the money an auto locking descender like a gri-gri will prevent a fall and let you descend to the ground safely.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 REM MAG View Post
I've seen the ruptured testicle pics which are horrible, I've worn harnesses and you better have the right size and weight rated. I know a guy who broke a harness and fell 30 feet. Not good result.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:05 PM

Default Harness

I spend most of my work day at heights and I definitely would not want to fall in any harness, much less the ones provided with most tree stands. I always wear mine as a " fall restraint" system vs " fall arrest", whereby the harness is worn so that you cannot fall out of the stand rather than relying on it to stop your fall. Look into getting a retractable lanyard.Suspension trauma is a very real danger especially if you break a bone on a treestand step or knock yourself out ( worst case scenario) thereby eliminating any chance of self rescue. It is defiantly a hindrance and limits shooting angles, more so with a bow than a rifle but nobody goes into any if my stands without " tying off". Just sayin.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodle30 View Post
So I missed a big buck yesterday and my safety harness is getting some of the blame. The buck come in on my right so I had turn with my back away from the tree. I am using the harness that come with my stand and the tree strap attaches tightly to the tree and the tether isn't long enough to give that room to turn and shoot this way. I do know that harness is meant to be set tight like this to prevent a long fall if you do fall but this is just to tight.

Anyone use this or something link it?

http://www.basspro.com/Hunter-Safety...product/79339/

I do take some of the blame but my harness did put me in a tight spot.

Doodle
My tether is a simple piece of climbing rope with a loop at the end that I clip into to. Adustable to any length.

Once you get your new tether, test out all your shooting lanes and what not to make sure you have adequate room to turn around, aim and shoot (quietly).
Old 11-14-2013, 09:22 AM

In this thread there is information and misinformation in a good mix.....

All I can say is go take an actual fall protection course.

Best protection is prevention.... Better to miss a chance at a deer than to risk a fall whether or not you have an arresting system or not....

BTW most tree stand harnesses sold with tree stand are NOT CSA APPROVED... they have an approval rating from another certifying body but most do not meet the OHS standard... because they are missing the seat strap.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:40 AM

one thing you need to remember is to buy a lanyard thats the proper length for the height you will be at some lanyards you need to be 18 ft up for then to stop you from hitting the ground once the shock absorber is streched out
Old 11-14-2013, 11:03 AM

Go look at the muddy harnesses.