Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-11-2013, 08:45 PM

Default whitetail in wmu 336

I was wondering if anybody could share their thoughts of the wt bucks in 336. I hunt on a few 1\4 s out there and I've seen only small bucks.

Thanks chris
Old 11-11-2013, 08:50 PM

Have seen and been involved in shooting some huge white tail deer in 336! I find all the big ones we get are way back in the bush.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhill View Post
I was wondering if anybody could share their thoughts of the wt bucks in 336. I hunt on a few 1\4 s out there and I've seen only small bucks.

Thanks chris
X2. Prior to rifle season I saw quite a few does and fawns. Since rifle season opened it seems like the deer are heading off the fields before legal light. You might see the odd doe and fawn on a field after legal light but not many. After being out every day since November 1 I have seen 1 very small five pointer and a couple fork horns. I knew last winter was hard on the bucks but I didn't think it would be this bad.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboe8 View Post
Have seen and been involved in shooting some huge white tail deer in 336! I find all the big ones we get are way back in the bush.
Was that this year??
Old 11-11-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Was that this year??
It has been hard this year. Deer are way way down but there are some nice ones. We shot about a 160 last week but I have hunted every day sense the 1st and I bow hunted about 25 days before that.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:02 PM

So I guess it's not just me that's not seeing deer here. I really wish they would close the supplemental season here for a few years.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
So I guess it's not just me that's not seeing deer here. I really wish they would close the supplemental season here for a few years.
Ya I think that would help out. But weneed a few good winters In a row to get things back again. Fields I used to see thirty deer on we're now seeing maybe 5. On a good note I've never seen as many moose and elk as the last two years.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:21 PM

Angry

I just spent 3 days out there, seen lots of does, a couple of bucks some nice muleys and elk. What bugged me the most was the amount of gun fire your hearing well before legal time. Im not talking 5- 10 minutes,were talking 15-20 and a 1/2 hr. before legal time on sat. morning couldn't believe it. That's probably why your not seeing deer, they know there not safe anytime, guys are shooting at whatever they see in the field.
Just like today I turned off the Hwy 16 there was 2 trucks 1 with his lights pointed in a field,there was horses in there so I quickly caught up to them, they were nice enough to pull over and let me pass.I did take a plate # down and called it in. As I drove down the road to get to my destination they were so far behind that I am sure they were scoping the fields to see if they could poach something.
That's probably why your not seeing animals, there not safe at anytime of the day. Makes me sick to my stomach. That's just me but I'm only 1 guy and I'm sure there are others out there who hear and see the same thing that I do.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:24 AM

I think the winter of 10/11 and 12/13 really knocked back the deer population in many wmu's. Yes there are idiot poachers out there that break a lot of rules but I don't think there is that many that it would effect the deer population. Between tough winters, coyotes, road kill and hunters, srd really needs to look at managing deer better. If it means shutting down the supplemental tags for a few years do it.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:58 PM

My suggestion is to relax and take it easy the first two weeks of the season... It's hardly worth going out unless you plan on pushing bush. Be patient and cherish the last week... You will find the 140+ boys.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
My suggestion is to relax and take it easy the first two weeks of the season... It's hardly worth going out unless you plan on pushing bush. Be patient and cherish the last week... You will find the 140+ boys.
X2! Don't get too frustrated yet, the best is yet to come.......