Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-28-2008, 10:54 AM

Default Learned How to Reload last night

Well my dad taught me how to reload last night, we started by doing 20, .270 rounds using 130 grain bullets and 55.0 g of Imr 4831 powder with nosler bullets and it says in the book that these bullets will go 2932 fps. Is this a good load? does anyone else use it? any feedback on how to better that load or a better load with a diff size bullet etc would be greatly appreciated, it will only be used for deer hunting so i shouldn't be to worried about much more "killing power" correct?
Old 10-28-2008, 11:31 AM

The first thing to do is go out and see how your load shoots out of your rifle. I don't have a manual handy but it sounds like you're probably close to the upper limits for a powder charge with that bullet weight. See how the group from your rifle and also be very careful and look for signs of high pressure.

You can tweak your load by changing your bullet seating depth and possibly increasing your powder charge by a little bit. Also, you won't know exactly what kind of velocity you're getting unless you chronograph your loads yourself. A 277 130 gr bullet at over 2900 fps will certainly kill any deer that walks as long as you do your part. Some guys use 150 gr bullets for the bigger stuff like moose / elk, but 130 gr bullets will also work. Good luck with a great new hobby.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:37 AM

Cool

Your off to a start.

The load you decribed may be good for the rifle only. That's the great thing about reloading>you can taylor the load to the gun.

First off the never trust the published FPS or load data. You need to buy a cronograph.
You need a good caliper to check overall case length (Brass and loaded)
Also you should shoot several groups to see if changes in the powder charge or bullet weight or bullet brands will give better groups without excessive pressure.

I've only touched the surface of reloading. Either you'll like reloading or not. The sky is the limit as far as you want to take it.

There are so many variables to reloading that to give you the answer you request is imposible.
There are lots of good people here that will give more advice and hopefully someone can show you more in person.

It will cost a fair amount of cash to get started. Several pounds of powder several brands of primers, bullets, brass and a good press and bench.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:11 PM

thanks for the feedback guys, and i can already tell i am going to have fun with the reloading, its very relaxing aha. and yea i have some 130 grain .270 fully loaded with different loads so im going to take them out to my spot tomorrow or thursday and see which ones give me the best groupings etc. Oh and one more question, i uhh made a noobie mistake and didnt put enough lube on one of the cartridges and it kinda jammed into the die that takes out the old primers, and my dad cant remember how to take the cartridge out of the die because he hasnt reloaded in probably 10 years until this year i decided we were going to clean out the old reloading room and start reloading, he said this is a quite common problem. Can someone tell me how to do this? haha
thanks guys
Old 10-28-2008, 12:29 PM

Default stuck case

I found that drilling and tapping the primer pocket works well. Try this link, about halfway into the article it outlines the procedure:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...0/ai_112128002

I just googled it, there seems to be a lot of info regarding the operation.

Good Luck!
Old 10-28-2008, 04:10 PM

Your best bet would be to spend a few bucks and buy one of the many stuck case remover kits on the market. They would be the safest bet for removing a stuck case without damaging the die itself.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:15 AM

I agree with Jason. I bought a stuck case remover when I first started reloading 15+ years ago, thought I would never use it until last year. You only need to use it once the discover that it is one of the "Need to have tools"
You'll have fun, Lots to learn
Old 10-29-2008, 08:26 AM

turns out as soon as i mentioned the removing kit my dad remembered we had one and out came the cartridge thanks for all the replies guys.

Battery
Old 10-29-2008, 09:34 AM

My 270 likes 56 grains of IMR 4831 behind a 130 Gr Hornady bullet. You will find as many different max/min loads as manuals that you look in, but 55 gr should be fine.

My 270 really likes 54 grains of IMR 4831 behind a 150 Gr Hornady Bullet. This gives me a cloverleaf group at 100 yards.

When checking things out, start with your lower loads and work your way up. Inspect the cases for signs of pressure and if things look too hot, maybe don't shoot any of the hotter loads if you have any.

Different loads will certainly give different group size as well as different POI with different rifles. I would find the load that gives the best accuracy in your rifle and then us it to zero your rifle.