Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-27-2012, 04:53 PM

Default Trapping Politics

Hi all. I have just started emailing the many candidates running for the upcoming provincial election with regards to trapping policy. So far I like what I am hearing from the Wildrose Party but of course this may be just lip service. They have no policy on traplines or trapping in general and for most of them it seems like my concerns are the first they are hearing of the current goings on in our province with regards to trapping. Most candidates said they would like to meet with the ATA and or individual trappers and get their opinions. I encourage you to do so.

The PC's offer the same lines they have given me in the past with regards to traplines. The status quo seems to be their way.

I'm only a member of the ATA but I encourage fellow members to contact the executive and have them or a representative meet with the provincial parties. I realize no party is going to campaign on the issue of trapping in these "politically correct times" we now are a part of. But if enough of us raise our concerns, I would hope whatever party is elected may change a few rules for the good of the trapping industry.

Happy Trapping
Old 03-27-2012, 06:53 PM

I think this a good idea will have to ask our candidates.

Will check their views on hunting and fishing as well.

Thanks

Thunder
Old 03-28-2012, 06:42 AM
Banned

Our MLA , Ty Lund (P.C.) is very familiar with trapping. He supports the current RFMA system and is a huge supporter of trappers in his constiuency.

He was also instrumental in getting Clearwater County to shelve taxing trapline cabins, which they were starting to do.

We are very fortunate to have an MLA that will actually return your call, spend time discussing concerns, and does care about hunting, fishing and trapping. I am sure that is not the case everywhere but it is here.

Not sure where Joe Anglin the WR candidate sits on this but I will find out.