Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-10-2012, 05:59 PM

Default Long Tailed Weasel

Does anyone need a long tailed Weasel for taxidermy or whatever? Just found one in the barn that one of my cats must've just killed. It probably met it's demise between 1 and 5 today. Picked it up at 5:30 and put it in the freezer. If anyone wants it, let me know in a PM. Will have a couple of puncture holes from the cat.

I should mention that it is still white. Also, If any trappers out there think that it's not really worth to use due to time of year or whatever reason, let me know. Thanks.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybert View Post
Does anyone need a long tailed Weasel for taxidermy or whatever? Just found one in the barn that one of my cats must've just killed. It probably met it's demise between 1 and 5 today. Picked it up at 5:30 and put it in the freezer. If anyone wants it, let me know in a PM. Will have a couple of puncture holes from the cat.

I should mention that it is still white. Also, If any trappers out there think that it's not really worth to use due to time of year or whatever reason, let me know. Thanks.
If indeed it is a long tailed weasel, then you NEED to contact F&W asap and ask THEM what to do with it.

From SRD

"Status
The long-tailed weasel is classified as May Be at Risk in the current General Status of Alberta Wild Species report.
"

"What Should I Do if I Have an 'At Risk' or 'May Be At Risk' Species on My Land?

The first thing you should do if you suspect that you have an 'At Risk' or 'May Be At Risk' species on your property, or to report a sighting of such a species, is to contact your nearest Fish and Wildlife Division office. The nearest office can be located by calling the RITE line 310-0000
"
Old 03-10-2012, 09:20 PM
Gone Hunting

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but just having it in your possession could lead to big problems.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:07 PM

Why would it be a problem? His barn cat killed it, not the o.p. Kinda like finding dead critters on the road. Take it into f&w and get a permission to possess form on the go. They'll decide whether to confiscate or allow permission to keep.

ruger300
Old 03-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Found Dead Wildlife permit for $10.00 and he'll be good to go. Can't see any reason F&W would confiscate it unless they need the carcass for study, at which point I would assume you could get it skinned for taxidermy prior to turning over the carcass.