Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-23-2018, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey929 View Post
I have a Jiffy 30 that is nearly 25 years old, a Jiffy Pro 4 Propane, and an Ion... The one that would let me down, without fail, regardless of the outside temps.... The Jiffy 30... And it has been maintained flawlessly.... You guys that love your gas augers are more than welcome to them
You are griping about a 25 year old gas auger that "fails" when compared to your much newer propane and electric augers??? I'd say that gas auger has proven itself over two and half decades and doesn't owe you anything. I wonder if your propane and electric augers will still even be operational when they reach 25 years?
Old 01-23-2018, 04:33 AM

The Jiffy 30 was problematic from day one... It stopped being an issue once I bought the Pro 4
Old 01-23-2018, 08:00 AM

I have a ion and love it.
Would never go back to a gas. Hated going out to a Lake and tearing my arm off pulling it. Recoils breaking, plugs fouling, gas leaking.
Ion is so light easy to pack especially where I fish and you have to drag everything up and down a 300 foot bank to the lake.
I have drilled 3 feet of ice with mine.
Only gripe I have is it does not have a pilot in the center, when its windy and the ice is really shinny then it takes a second to get it started. Love the fact that my boots and pants don't get wet when it breaks threw the ice into the water.
My old gas worked good for 10 years then started having problems every other trip out.
ION is the only auger I will ever have with me now.
3 years and 100s of holes latter and never had 1 second of grief with it.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:18 AM

Ya lots of guys have very little knowledge of the minimal up keep a simple 2 stroke engine requires now a days, to each his own i guess.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:24 PM

Got an update on your auger? I picked my ion up in 2012 I think, never an issue. This is the first I’ve heard of anyone having an issue, so I’m kind of curious.
I’m leaning towards a cold battery since you mentioned leaving it out. Even at +3 that’s only a degree warmer than my fridge. I always stick it in my jacket pocket. Jacket is usually off in the shack anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2018, 08:28 PM

Going to try new blades and having it fully charged up again. I wonder if there's to much torque it will cut out as the blades were getting dull?
Old 01-23-2018, 08:33 PM

I firmly believe your battery didn't have enough charge in it... I have the same issue from time to time as I don't always recharge after every use... I have a fully charged spare battery on hand and problem solved