Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-14-2010, 08:11 AM

Default Protein Pancakes

Made up a batch of these for breakfast today- No flour or sugar needed so works great for people trying to stay away from that stuff.

In a blender

1 cup Egg Whites( The ones in the 500 ml cartons)
1 cup Oatmeal (dry uncooked)
1 cup Cottage Cheese
1 tsp Vanilla extract( I use Coconut Extract)
1/4 tsp baking powder

Blend till smooth maybe 20 seconds and use like regular batter. Makes about a dozen 4" pancakes

With the leftovers-

I usually throw them in baggies of 3 pancakes and throw in my pack when hunting-Seperately wedge apples and dust in cinnamon(they won't brown) and put in baggies as well.

Then to eat I make Cinnamon Apple- Pancake Tacos-Great for kids
High protein
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA140612.JPG (64.7 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg PA140613.JPG (64.4 KB, 159 views)
Old 10-14-2010, 08:36 AM

hmmm i will have to try those..as i love pancakes, but i am trying to stay away from sugar/flour etc....
Old 10-14-2010, 10:02 AM

I went to a naturally fit store here in Calgary, I met the owner named Joel, he's a great man and absolutely jacked! I bought some thermogenics from him and asked him for some advice to get over the hump (well below I guess) because I use to be between 265-270 pounds for football season last year, and from Jan. to now I have dropped to 210 pounds. The goal now is to get cut and shredded (not like Wolverine shredded, waiting for some remark after this comment) and well Joel told me to make whole wheat protein pancakes some mornings. I had no clue how to do this, he told me to add in a scoop of protein powder into them. Have you tried this with your recipe, even substitute some protein powder for some of the oatmeal maybe? I'm not completely sure how to make a whole wheat protein pancake! But those pancakes of yours look extremely tasty!
Old 10-14-2010, 12:19 PM

those look awesome,I going to give it a try.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_magic_stick View Post
I went to a naturally fit store here in Calgary, I met the owner named Joel, he's a great man and absolutely jacked! I bought some thermogenics from him and asked him for some advice to get over the hump (well below I guess) because I use to be between 265-270 pounds for football season last year, and from Jan. to now I have dropped to 210 pounds. The goal now is to get cut and shredded (not like Wolverine shredded, waiting for some remark after this comment) and well Joel told me to make whole wheat protein pancakes some mornings. I had no clue how to do this, he told me to add in a scoop of protein powder into them. Have you tried this with your recipe, even substitute some protein powder for some of the oatmeal maybe? I'm not completely sure how to make a whole wheat protein pancake! But those pancakes of yours look extremely tasty!
These are low GI. so should fit in your diet.
Maybe write the recipe out and show it to him and let him tell you what he would like to see added. I am not sure If I to see any advantage in the whole wheat flour over oatmeal but he should be able to let you know.

Already lots of protein in the existing recipe with protein in both the egg white and the cottage cheese even some in the oatmeal.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:08 PM

im going to try those soon. looks good . ive been trying to put on weight and eating the same low fat high protein foods can get boring quick. but sticking to the game plan ive been able to go from 210 to 233 pounds lean in only a few months. its easy to bulk up eating garbage , but i dont like running my arse off so i prefer to eat clean.

do you have other ideas like this?
Old 10-14-2010, 04:18 PM

We used to put Whey protein (iso), Cottage cheese and egg white in a blender and let her rip for about two minutes.

Sometimes we used flavoured, other times just ad a little fruit or something small but heavy on taste..

The result was a meringue we ate with a spoon. It was awesome, tasted great and filled us up...

Those pancakes sound good !
Old 10-14-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylow? View Post
210 to 233 pounds lean in only a few months. ?
LOL im trying to go the other way,I've been 240lbs and want to be a lean 210-215lbs

If you guys like protien bars,I started making my own.they are better then the ones you buy.

1.5 cups of choclate whey
1 cup of peanut butter(melt in the microwave)
1 cup of either oat meal or oreo crumb
8 table spoons of honey
and 1/8 cup of milk

mix in the bowl and then put in a pan and put it in the freezer to harden up.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timba View Post
LOL im trying to go the other way,I've been 240lbs and want to be a lean 210-215lbs

If you guys like protien bars,I started making my own.they are better then the ones you buy.

8 table spoons of honey
and 1/8 cup of milk

peanut butter is one of my favorite things in the world.
240lbs and going down? how tall are you?
thats what my goal is for next summer is 240 lean.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:

8 table spoons of honey
and 1/8 cup of milk

Not trying to bash you or anything, because those sound extremely tasty and a 1/4 of the price! Although you say you want to lose weight. Look at the peanut butter label, theres a ton of fats, although alot of protein, the fat intake for a 2000 calorie diet is overwhelming. Then honey is honestly like 80% sugar, although tasty really large amount of sugar.

Not trying to bash, but if you tried putting in a low fat peanut butter, and im not sure a sugar free honey is possible, but I bet you can make a few changes for a very low fat bar! You should try to figure out the approximate calories, fats, carbs, protein, etc. Because those sound tasty and you could make a few dollars out of them!

Cheers,
Brett
Old 10-14-2010, 10:42 PM

Default Paleo Diet

I have recently read the book "The Paleo Solution" by Robb Wolf and it is an amazing book to read. I have a way different view of food and diet (not in the weight loss sense but in what you eat everyday). I highly recommend it.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Not trying to bash you or anything, because those sound extremely tasty and a 1/4 of the price! Although you say you want to lose weight. Look at the peanut butter label, theres a ton of fats, although alot of protein, the fat intake for a 2000 calorie diet is overwhelming. Then honey is honestly like 80% sugar, although tasty really large amount of sugar.

Not trying to bash, but if you tried putting in a low fat peanut butter, and im not sure a sugar free honey is possible, but I bet you can make a few changes for a very low fat bar! You should try to figure out the approximate calories, fats, carbs, protein, etc. Because those sound tasty and you could make a few dollars out of them!

Cheers,
Brett
Obviuosly you guys know what you're at, so I'll throw 2 cents with no fear of offending anyone, as none is intended...

If you are building bulk lean, worry less about fat more about carbs.
If you are building stamina lean, carbs are your friend.

Personally, ....honey and peanutbutter and treats for me when I train...
Tuna, Rare Steak, Salmon, Cottage Cheese, Yams, etc are my training foods.

If you go Low Calorie, high training, you'll burn muscle.

I eat or drink the bad stuff and cardio it away.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn?Narn. View Post
Obviuosly you guys know what you're at, so I'll throw 2 cents with no fear of offending anyone, as none is intended...

If you are building bulk lean, worry less about fat more about carbs.
If you are building stamina lean, carbs are your friend.

Personally, ....honey and peanutbutter and treats for me when I train...
Tuna, Rare Steak, Salmon, Cottage Cheese, Yams, etc are my training foods.

If you go Low Calorie, high training, you'll burn muscle.

I eat or drink the bad stuff and cardio it away.
Guys, as many of you know I was the skin head young buck who shot a nice mulie a few years ago (grade 11) and i graduated last June, I am by far no expert when it comes to working out, I've read numerous magazines and articles and talked to alot of body builders, power lifters, and personal trainers. I as well as everyone else here have their different views about different topics out there. I do agree with you that when I wanted to get big, I honestly didnt care what I ate and had a 4000 calorie diet.. Well that was summer of grade 11 going into my senior football season, I found that peanut butter was awesome and well I found out now to help me loose weight I try to have as much protein and little carbs/ fats as possible, except for the natural carbs from fruits and veggies and a few carbs in morning to get me going. With my max bench exceeding 350 pounds before, and current is around 310 since dropping weight we all have different goals. Theres different diets for every goal out there.

Like if you want to gain weight, a peanut butter and jam sandwhich before you go to bed every night will help you gain a couple pounds a week.

If you want to loose weight its as simple as drinking 3 litres of water a day, and try to cut out pop and beer as much as possible.

I'm not trying to start an arguement and anyone can argue their opinions and I am always open to hearing some new ideas and points of view, we're all human and I would love to get some extra help! If anyone wants I can send a diet I recently got to help cut some fat.

cheers,
Brett
Old 10-14-2010, 11:54 PM

I used to be a bouncer and after about 6 months we hired a guy who i became good friends with, Frank 'The Tank' McGrath.

We were both doing the gym seen, downtown seen, "cool" seen at the time...

After becoming friends with Frank, I quickly realized I did not have the discipline or desire to go much beyond the 230lb, lean ripped, non bulked guy I was...google Frank and you'll see optimal results and a guy who knows his diet...

Almost 10 years later now....
Old 10-15-2010, 12:00 AM

Sorry for hijacking the thread, those pancakes look really great and Arn I'm going to send you the example of the diet and I'm curious to see what you think about it. You seem to know what your talking about and I believe our goals are different. Offers open to everyone else to get a diet that I seem to be easy to follow (day 2 today) and hopefully will get results.

I think buying cottage cheese this weekend is in order for these pancakes!
Old 10-15-2010, 07:01 AM

Quote:
We used to put Whey protein (iso), Cottage cheese and egg white in a blender and let her rip for about two minutes.

Sometimes we used flavoured, other times just ad a little fruit or something small but heavy on taste..

The result was a meringue we ate with a spoon. It was awesome, tasted great and filled us up...

Those pancakes sound good !
Now that sounds like it is full of possibilities.
We had a regimen of meal production that was low GI and able to be packed for quick lunches at work.

Weekends we always made a pile of these pancakes-cut veggie platters, grilled Greek Seasoned chicken breasts, let cool, slice and cryovac in 4 oz portions for cold snacking or for over salad. making roasted red pepper hummous and basically portioning out our week so we had to eat small amounts of every 2-3 hours always with some protein usually fish or chicken.
Bulk bin whole almonds also portioned into mini-sandwich bags weighing 1 oz each.

During the week. Egg white omelettes with asparagus and mushrooms. Every second day we have oatmeal that I just throw in the rice cooker when I grab my first coffee, by the time we shower and come downstairs the oatmeal is ready and no watching or stirring.

Apple wedges dusted with cinnamon are portioned and then I portion 1 tblsp of fresh almond butter into a microwave safe container. Zap the Almond butter till hot and dip the apple wedges in it for lunch.

Goal was 1400-1500 calories a day.

Went from 308lbs down to current weight of 245lbs in 6 months

But always a challenge was any kind of dessert.

Closest we came for dessert was/is a mini chocolate lava cake made with egg white, a bit of whole wheat flour, cocoa powder , applesauce and succanat. Served
with fresh berries over top.
I am pumped to try this meringue idea. This is good-very very good.lol

Last edited by omega50; 10-15-2010 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:
peanut butter is one of my favorite things in the world.
240lbs and going down? how tall are you?
thats what my goal is for next summer is 240 lean.
I'm 5'10,ive been has heavy as 260lbs when I used to bounce but I don't like that weight to hard to move around and do things.I feel way better around 235lbs.

timba
Old 10-15-2010, 07:34 AM

Quote:

Cheers,
Brett
these bars I make for a treat,when I found the recipte it called for natural peanut butter but when I just eat them for a cheat I don't worry the calories or fat.My meals when I diet are chicken breasts,oatmeal,tuna,eggwhites, rice and veggies.

timba
Old 10-15-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I'm 5'10,ive been has heavy as 260lbs when I used to bounce but I don't like that weight to hard to move around and do things.I feel way better around 235lbs.

timba

Funny,...I was the same way. I was 250 in decent shape and bouncing,..
but U was like a Horse. I'd get punched in the face, kicked in the legs,...yadda yadda yadda,...but I had a good jaw and was like a brick ****house, so even if I had a good night, I still had black eyes or whatever casue I was so slow.

At 210 and in good shape, I was amazed how much quicker I got. I could duck, move, grapple,...I was fit and loved the speed....

But...

I squared off with a guy who was a little bigger than me,

He charged me and lifted me off the floor and planted me on my back. It was the scariest feeling ever,.... I had never been tossed around or off my feet in the air before..

I fell like a sack of hammers and had this bear on top of me...

To be young again....
Old 10-15-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Guys, as many of you know I was the skin head young buck who shot a nice mulie a few years ago (grade 11) and i graduated last June, I am by far no expert when it comes to working out, I've read numerous magazines and articles and talked to alot of body builders, power lifters, and personal trainers. I as well as everyone else here have their different views about different topics out there. I do agree with you that when I wanted to get big, I honestly didnt care what I ate and had a 4000 calorie diet.. Well that was summer of grade 11 going into my senior football season, I found that peanut butter was awesome and well I found out now to help me loose weight I try to have as much protein and little carbs/ fats as possible, except for the natural carbs from fruits and veggies and a few carbs in morning to get me going. With my max bench exceeding 350 pounds before, and current is around 310 since dropping weight we all have different goals. Theres different diets for every goal out there.

Like if you want to gain weight, a peanut butter and jam sandwhich before you go to bed every night will help you gain a couple pounds a week.

If you want to loose weight its as simple as drinking 3 litres of water a day, and try to cut out pop and beer as much as possible.

I'm not trying to start an arguement and anyone can argue their opinions and I am always open to hearing some new ideas and points of view, we're all human and I would love to get some extra help! If anyone wants I can send a diet I recently got to help cut some fat.

cheers,
Brett
if your dieting your not gaining......winters coming so who cares. save the diet for the spring and put some muscle on during the cold months.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Banned

Anybody concerned about sugar consumption should try Xylitol. It's a sugar alcohol found in birch bark, corn and other things. Look it up. It's literally the exact same taste and consistancy as sugar. It is pretty much sugar's healthy mirror image. Sugar is known to cause cancer, feed cancer, cause tooth decay and is horrible for weight gain. Xylitol is perfectly safe for diabetics and is claimed to prevent cancer, strengthen your immune system, prevent tooth decay, stabilize blood sugar levels, prevent ear infections, and is a potential treatment for osteoporosis. You can find it at some health food stores. Its expensive stuff, averages about $10 for a 454g bag of it, but I'm pretty sure you can find it online in big bulk bags for a much cheaper price per pound.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
if your dieting your not gaining......winters coming so who cares. save the diet for the spring and put some muscle on during the cold months.
Well that's the difference between me and you here! I am going to new zealand Jan. 30th for 3 months and get to escape the cold months of the winter! Yeahhh! I need to look good for those kiwi women!
Old 10-15-2010, 08:42 PM

I've only one question 'bout your 'cakes....

Syrup or ketchup?

Cheers, G.

It's never been about the Earth. It's always been about power. Limit the resources, decree that limited resources must be state controlled - power.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:46 PM

Squid Ink lol
Not as concerned about airspeed as angle of attack will put me on my back.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:48 AM

I'd like to try that pancake recipe but I don't eat dairy. Is there a way to make them without the cheese?

I myself am on a "no white" diet. No sugar, no flour, no white rice,no potatoes, etc. I've gone from 350 lbs to 220 in a year and a half. I should have kept all my clothes from grade 6. lol

If you really want to lose weight easy just cut out sugar. It's easy because everything has sugar in it except for fresh meat and veggies. Anything ending in "ose" is a sugar. Sucrose, fructose, glucose, dextrose, lactose.... all sugar.

PS: ANy egg in a carton is pure garbage. And any egg that isn't organic is laden with antibiotics and hormones. Eggs concentrate antibiotics and hormones more than any food.

Last edited by Nerdapres'; 10-16-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:04 AM

I bet you could replace the dairy with an equal amount of tofu.
Never tried it, but it should work.

Eggs in carton are a compromise because I go through a 1 1/2 litre a week of egg white. I do not have a home for all those yolks if I were to crack eggs.

Last edited by omega50; 10-16-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Funny,...I was the same way. I was 250 in decent shape and bouncing,..
but U was like a Horse. I'd get punched in the face, kicked in the legs,...yadda yadda yadda,...but I had a good jaw and was like a brick ****house, so even if I had a good night, I still had black eyes or whatever casue I was so slow.

At 210 and in good shape, I was amazed how much quicker I got. I could duck, move, grapple,...I was fit and loved the speed....

But...

I squared off with a guy who was a little bigger than me,

He charged me and lifted me off the floor and planted me on my back. It was the scariest feeling ever,.... I had never been tossed around or off my feet in the air before..

I fell like a sack of hammers and had this bear on top of me...

To be young again....
Its funny because when i see vids of you having a full conversation with a stuffed animal it never occurred to me that you were such a dangerous human being
Old 10-16-2010, 11:25 AM

I don't know if dangerous is the word LOL

But I've been around the block more than once. Many times more than once,...on occasion, on my head...lol

I did have a name and a reputation back in the glory days...I was soooooooo
kewl !

Nowadays ELMO has my back, and he a sick SOB, so I rarely need to let my hands go free ...

LOL

but back in topic,...

any diet, to maintain, lose or gain,...will ultimately fail if it is not something you can maintain.

Having those pancakes for breakfast tomorrow !
Can't wait !!!
Old 10-16-2010, 11:39 AM

Found a snack bar recipe in Clean Eating Magazine that looks pretty good. Will try those tomorrow

Nutty Maple-Cinnamon Bars

1 c rolled oats divided
3 tbsp unsalted almonds
4 scoops vanilla protein powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp sea salt
3/4 c unsweetened applesauce
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
4 tbsp maple syrup
cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350F
In a clean dry blender process 1/2 cup of oatmeal into oat flour

Then in a large bowl stir togther that oat flour with remaining oatmeal, almonds,protein powder, cinnamon and salt

Once well combined stir in wet ingredients of applesauce, vanilla and maple syrup mix thoroughly.
Cut 6 squares of tin foil into 4" x 8" pieces and spray inside with cooking spray.

Divide mixture equally betweem the squares rolling and forming a bar shape.

Fold like a tamale folding the end over to prevent spillage.. Can flatten into bar shapes if you want to avoid a tube shaped bar.

Place on baking sheet and cook in the pre-heated oven 16-18 minutes. Do not overcook

About 200 cals per bar
4g fat
3g fiber
15g protein
189 mg sodium
Old 10-17-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
I bet you could replace the dairy with an equal amount of tofu.
Never tried it, but it should work.

Eggs in carton are a compromise because I go through a 1 1/2 litre a week of egg white. I do not have a home for all those yolks if I were to crack eggs.
Yeah I don't eat tofu either, nothing fermented. Oh well.

Why not just eat the yolks? Afraid of it going to your hips?