Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2010, 04:36 PM

I had trouble getting rid of 3/4 of my season tickets this year, so yeah the flames must be on the wrong track. Other years it was a money maker, not this year (sigh).
Old 09-14-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
I think the Habs have as much chance of winning the cup this year as WhitetailJunkie has of killing a 180 gross whitetail
I'm Glad you said that,The Habs I cant garantee a cup,but they will go deeper into the playoffs than the Flamer's will.

as For a 180" Whitetail,well I guess I got 17 days in the end of November to prove yaa wrong.

Alberta is a crap shoot,but we got an ace up our sleeve this year in saskatchewan. The Villemaire Family is Bringing Home the Hardware this year,it shall be written,it shall be Done
Old 09-14-2010, 02:24 PM

Yes! It's that time of year again. I'm pumped.

Great to see you back Tree - just wasn't the same last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
I would love to see it happen as he is a great kid but I think the early season front runner has got to be one Mr. PK Suban!
I think Subban will have a good year but I can't see him getting close to 50 points like Myers did. My money (if I had any) would be on Paajarvi. He seems to have elite skating and skill and has a year of experience playing against men in Sweden. He also played very well at the World Championships. He's getting swept under the rug in E-town a bit because of Eberle and Hall but I think he's going to have the best rookie season of the three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
and Van, who really cares
This guy, right here. I've been one of the few Canucks fans on here the last 3 or 4 years and I'll be around to take the beating again this year. This is the first year I can remember that there are some notable hockey writers actually picking the Canucks to go all the way - unfortunately for them they don't have my experience in the department of never-ending Canuck disappointments. I'll believe it when I see it... but in the mean time I'll cheer them on as hard as ever. There is lots to be excited about for us Canuck fans right now. Maybe this is the year (oh crap, there I go again, getting my hopes up).
Old 09-14-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt_and_fish View Post
I think Subban will have a good year but I can't see him getting close to 50 points like Myers did. My money (if I had any) would be on Paajarvi. He seems to have elite skating and skill and has a year of experience playing against men in Sweden. He also played very well at the World Championships. He's getting swept under the rug in E-town a bit because of Eberle and Hall but I think he's going to have the best rookie season of the three.
The Oilers is what may hurt Paajarvi. There recent history with rookies has not been great! Maybe Renney will change that though. Subban showed too much poise in last years playoffs. He is much flashier than Meyers and those who vote on award winners love flashy!!
Old 09-14-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
He is much flashier than Meyers and those who vote on award winners love flashy!!
That's true and I like Subban but there aren't many d-men in the game that I'd take over Myers. I do think PK will be in the running, it's just rare for d-men to win the Calder (only 10 times in about 80 years and only once in back to back years). I think the "flashiness" aspect to it is one of the reasons that it usually goes to a forward or goalie, that and the fact that defensemen typically develop so much slower. We shall see though, you may be right. Time will tell.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:16 PM

The first difference between the 2 is that PK is a flat out STUD but Meyers is a FREAK OF NATURE STUD! The second is that PK comes from the east where offence is the name of the game and Meyers comes from the ridiculous D-Man factory known as the Kelwona Rockets! Simply put I can not wait for the year to start!!! One of the Portland boy's could be big surprises if they crack there NHL teams! Islander fans will love Nino and Johansen could be the perfect fit for Nash. How many more sleeps now???
Old 09-14-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt_and_fish View Post

This guy, right here. I've been one of the few Canucks fans on here the last 3 or 4 years and I'll be around to take the beating again this year. This is the first year I can remember that there are some notable hockey writers actually picking the Canucks to go all the way - unfortunately for them they don't have my experience in the department of never-ending Canuck disappointments. I'll believe it when I see it... but in the mean time I'll cheer them on as hard as ever. There is lots to be excited about for us Canuck fans right now. Maybe this is the year (oh crap, there I go again, getting my hopes up).

That makes two of us.

Can't wait to see what how the players we brought in turn out! Hamuis, Malhotra, Ballard.
Would Be nice to see Hodgson play this year along with Schroeder and Shirokov
Old 09-14-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickote316 View Post
That makes two of us.

Can't wait to see what how the players we brought in turn out! Hamuis, Malhotra, Ballard.
Where is the love for Connaughton? Get excited about him get very excited about him!! Canuck fans have a diamond in the rough with Kevin Connaughton in the next couple years.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Where is the love for Connaughton? Get excited about him get very excited about him!! Canuck fans have a diamond in the rough with Kevin Connaughton in the next couple years.
Lol cause he's an Alberta boy?

Im excited to see him play but with the defense we have going into this season he'll be playing with the moose? Or Giants?

lol I love how he scored against the oiler prospects.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:58 PM

It is going to be Flames thread only. Oilers could make some better play, but i'm not wasting my time for them this year.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Lol cause he's an Alberta boy?
No because he is their best defensive prospect and right now he may even be a better prospect then Hodgson.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
No because he is their best defensive prospect and right now he may even be a better prospect then Hodgson.
KC is definitely their best defensive prospect. He has a ton of potential. Hodgson is going through a rough patch with his back but I still have a really good feeling about him. I talked to him a bit at last year's rookie game (he was sitting out because of his back). Just a fantastic kid. The Vancouver media try to convince us otherwise but I stopped listening to them a long time ago. Ijust hope he gets cleared for contact in the next month or two. If he was to miss another 3/4 of a year it could be pretty devastating to his development.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
That makes two of us.

Makes 3 of us now. Can't wait for the season to start. As usual, I'm keeping my expectations to a minimum to start the season, but they'll ramp right up after the All-Star break and then most likely another crushing blow come playoff season. One of these years boys, one of these years.

My thoughts? Real excited about Hamhuis, Ballard I figure is a trade off for a healthy Mitchell, hoping Raymond can keep improving, twins just seem to keep getting better each and every year, hope Kesler doesn't get too discouraged and feel unappreciated when they give the C to Hank (I just get that vibe from him sometimes), and last but not least they pull their heads out of their collective arses and realize special teams is where it's at come play-off time - they got OWNED last year across the board. On that same note, the Kings scare me a bit this year. I think that team, being another year older and wiser, can be the dark horse and we should be very wary.

Got my Centre Ice package ordered now, HD big screen is set up right in front of the LazyBoy down in the man cave about 10 steps from the beer fridge. I'm READY!!!!
Old 09-15-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Racks View Post
Makes 3 of us now. Can't wait for the season to start. As usual, I'm keeping my expectations to a minimum to start the season, but they'll ramp right up after the All-Star break and then most likely another crushing blow come playoff season. One of these years boys, one of these years.

My thoughts? Real excited about Hamhuis, Ballard I figure is a trade off for a healthy Mitchell, hoping Raymond can keep improving, twins just seem to keep getting better each and every year, hope Kesler doesn't get too discouraged and feel unappreciated when they give the C to Hank (I just get that vibe from him sometimes), and last but not least they pull their heads out of their collective arses and realize special teams is where it's at come play-off time - they got OWNED last year across the board. On that same note, the Kings scare me a bit this year. I think that team, being another year older and wiser, can be the dark horse and we should be very wary.

Got my Centre Ice package ordered now, HD big screen is set up right in front of the LazyBoy down in the man cave about 10 steps from the beer fridge. I'm READY!!!!
Well said! I agree that the Kings aren't far being becoming an elite team but I'm hoping it's still a year or two away.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Racks View Post

Well said. Lots of sports shows and columnists are predicting Vancouver finish first in the west. I can't see it happening but if it does happen I won't be complaining

I'm itching to watch some hockey already. I'm thinking on subscribing to Nhl Gamecenter this year
Old 09-15-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post
Vancouver didn't choke last year they were the last Canadian team in the playoffs and ended up losing to Chicago the team that won the Stanley cup. Well Chicago lost its team and Van managed to keep theirs pretty much together and has last seasons two top scorers and one hell of a goaltender locked down so I wouldn't be surprised if this is there year.
the last four teams in the playoffs were Habs flyers. Sharks Hawks. Habs were last canadian team. Go Habs go
Old 09-15-2010, 03:01 PM

I just like to note for the record that my Oilers rookies have beaten both the Nucks and the Flamers rookies ( including two decent scraps against the Calgary tough guys ) yep its rookies but anything BOA related is enjoyable....
Old 09-15-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
I just like to note for the record that my Oilers rookies have beaten both the Nucks and the Flamers rookies ( including two decent scraps against the Calgary tough guys ) yep its rookies but anything BOA related is enjoyable....
Abney beat Breen but Grantham beat Bendfield.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Anyone hoping for the oilers to tank may be disapointed this year. I think they might surprise a few people.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:29 PM

Oilers- will be improved but I don't see a lengthy playoff run if they should make it in, still a couple years of building I would think, their two newest additions can't carry the teams themselves.
Flames- Sutter is on crack and needs an intervention, I'd loved to be proven wrong about Jokinen but I hated having him here the first time, dress a pylon in a flames jersey and you'll get better results...Tanguay wasn't that bad of a pickup IMO, but I don't know what to expect. Glad White is staying, and Mayers is gone. I wish he would have kept Nystrom and Dawes but what can you do.
Vancouver-another season of over-hyping by the media:Weren't they supposed to win it all the last 2 seasons?haha right. They may have the same core but they better hope those players figure out it's a team game and not put all the pressure on the twins to carry the team.
Toronto- bust as usual ruining good up and coming goalies and trading away good draft picks
Montreal- would have been beter with Halak IMO, i'm sure some habs fans will disagree but I don't see the competitive drive from Price that Halak showed. Oh and you're welcome for Cammalleri<bite me Sutter>
Ottawa- Mediocre season, possible playoff berth but a short visit.....

I'd say another Canadian showing of maybe 3 teams in April to June, but I hope they prove me wrong, I'll be in the dome as much as possible this season, even bought one of those acid trip Heritage classic jerseys..<my god what was i thinking?>
GO FLAMES GO
Old 09-15-2010, 03:31 PM

Oh and yes, I can't wait to see the Kings this year, never thought i'd say that about a California team, but since they picked up Jones and Kozun I wanna see them play at the elite level.....a little worried about Jones though.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitfisher83 View Post
Oh and yes, I can't wait to see the Kings this year, never thought i'd say that about a California team, but since they picked up Jones and Kozun I wanna see them play at the elite level.....a little worried about Jones though.
Great for Kozun!! A local LA kid done good!! It will be a dream come true when he plays his first games for them!!!
Old 09-15-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Abney beat Breen but Grantham beat Bendfield.
Not even the calgary radio guys called that a win...maybe a draw at best from Calgarys tough guy and we didn't play Hall Eberle or MPS

Just sayn

http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocen...=75297&catid=4

Its the 2nd video watch again Gobber

Last edited by Kanonfodder; 09-15-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Not even the calgary radio guys called that a win...maybe a draw at best from Calgarys tough guy and we didn't play Hall Eberle or MPS

Just sayn
Watching the game saw Grantham throw about 30 punches to Bendfields 10. Bendfield was busted open and missed more than his customary 5 minutes as he was back in the room for repairs. I call that a win for Grantham. But yes it was nice to see the Oil win even though the big 3 were not in the line up. Maybe they were trying to prove a point by leaving them out.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:10 PM

THe point being the Oil don't need the three amigos to beat Calgary? I just re watched the fight draw at best...Grantham was throwing more punches but the majority of them fell way short..Bendfield was scoring with the sweater jab ( which I hate with a passion )
Old 09-15-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
THe point being the Oil don't need the three amigos to beat Calgary?
Exactly!! Their prospects are overall better so lets sit the big 3 and see what happens. Point proven!!
Old 09-16-2010, 12:13 AM

The Canuck's look good lots of talent in the depth field.Connaughton is for real and if the younger players like Raymond produce they could probably make it through two rounds as long as they bench Leaky Lou and his kiss out 7 and 5 goal games.Look for the Oilers for flash and dash entertaining hockey Tom works well with the younger players. As for the Flames it will be wait and see.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleson View Post
Anyone hoping for the oilers to tank may be disapointed this year. I think they might surprise a few people.
As an Oiler fan, i really dont care where they finish. BUT it has been years since i have been this excited to see them play. I am thinking and hoping and anticipating the excitement and energy on the team is alot higher this year
Old 09-22-2010, 09:06 AM

Pre-Season started last night.

Some pretty good hockey was played, its been far to long!

Anyone catch the leafs game? LOL gotta hand it to leafs nation for booing their team in the first game of the year
Old 09-22-2010, 09:19 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleson View Post
the last four teams in the playoffs were Habs flyers. Sharks Hawks. Habs were last canadian team. Go Habs go
The Habs are not a Canadian team; they are from Kaybec, eh!

Tags
ducks