Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-03-2007, 08:21 PM

yes THAT hit was clean..but many he throws are not. i agree..someone will put tootoo down and out for a very long time.

i used to love watching him in jr's. it seems he had the skill set to play hard and rough and still be an offensive threat. but in the nhl it seems like he has crossed the edge and has relegated himself to be a player that hits with reckless abandon...and hopefully pots a goal every now and again.

to me his play and inetgrity as a player have dropped rather far.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:37 PM

Well said Clash.

Hey Flames fans. Here's a bit of perspective for you.....

Would if, at the end of last season, Iggy was traded away for basically nothing in return. Then in the off season, Conroy and Yelle are shipped out for more of nothing.

THEN your lineup for the first game of the season has SIX, that's right SIX players who are either playing their first NHL game or are rookies.

THEN in the first month of the season you d corps loses to injury Phaneuf, Regehr, Warrener and Sarich. On top of having Huselius out due to illness and Lombardi to injury.

That's where the Oilers are right now. I'm not saying that the players we lost are as skilled as some of the Flames player, however they mean as much if not more to the team as any of the Flames players mentioned.

THAT'S what it is like to be an Oilers fan now, and its even harder to publicly admit it right now. I'd never wish this amount of bad luck on any team in any league (the leafs maybeeeee.....). It sucks and it reminds me of the Boston Red Sox's curse of 'The Big Bambino'. Except the difference is that this time it was the player who screwed the team. pronger f&*k you! klowe, you are a TERRIBLE GM and if you had any devotion to the organization you should have resigned and let someone else do the job!

End of Rant!

Tree
Old 11-03-2007, 09:01 PM

is it bad luck or bad management?
Old 11-03-2007, 09:11 PM

Clash, good management in the creation of a deep team will at LEAST minimize bad luck.

Tree
Old 11-03-2007, 09:21 PM

agreed, but how deep are we with quality rather than quantity. in forwards i believe we are fine...but our d corps is a C- at best......and that is all the way down the line into the guys we are looking at in peewee.... haha
Old 11-03-2007, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
agreed, but how deep are we with quality rather than quantity. in forwards i believe we are fine...but our d corps is a C- at best......and that is all the way down the line into the guys we are looking at in peewee.... haha
Thus BAD management. For example, if you look at the elite teams, their scouting staff is unbelivably good. NJ with Parise, Col with Stasney, Det with....well everyone. Zetterberg, Daytziuk, Holmstrom were all drafted deep.

Honestly, money means nothing with a cap when your scouting and farm system is top notch. Detroit and Colorado and even Jersey are the best. Scott Gomez out of Alaska anyone? How many Oiler draft picks other than Gagner and Cogliano have made the club in the last decade? Kim Issel or Robbie Schremph anyone?

Tree
Old 11-04-2007, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Well said Clash.

Hey Flames fans. Here's a bit of perspective for you.....

Would if, at the end of last season, Iggy was traded away for basically nothing in return. Then in the off season, Conroy and Yelle are shipped out for more of nothing.

THEN your lineup for the first game of the season has SIX, that's right SIX players who are either playing their first NHL game or are rookies.

THEN in the first month of the season you d corps loses to injury Phaneuf, Regehr, Warrener and Sarich. On top of having Huselius out due to illness and Lombardi to injury.

That's where the Oilers are right now. I'm not saying that the players we lost are as skilled as some of the Flames player, however they mean as much if not more to the team as any of the Flames players mentioned.

THAT'S what it is like to be an Oilers fan now, and its even harder to publicly admit it right now. I'd never wish this amount of bad luck on any team in any league (the leafs maybeeeee.....). It sucks and it reminds me of the Boston Red Sox's curse of 'The Big Bambino'. Except the difference is that this time it was the player who screwed the team. pronger f&*k you! klowe, you are a TERRIBLE GM and if you had any devotion to the organization you should have resigned and let someone else do the job!

End of Rant!

Tree
Everything but the injurys is avoidable if you dont have a crazy man at the wheel.

Pat Quinn is looking for a job as we speak.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:30 AM
Banned

Sorry Tree
No sympathy from this guy...
I just laugh.
To watch all the smary mouthed fans have to suffer after shoving it in our faces after alll those Stanley cups...
LOOKS GOOD ON YAH NOW!
Between the Oil and the ESKS Sucking and Hunting season here.. I am in my happy place!

I for one am enjoying this.. (Providing it doesnt cost Edmonton the Franchise.. Now that would hurt.. Who would I hate?)

But why on Gods green earth did they give Lowe a extension.

Jamie
Old 11-04-2007, 04:54 PM
700TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post

I for one am enjoying this.. (Providing it doesnt cost Edmonton the Franchise.. Now that would hurt.. Who would I hate?)

Jamie
Hate is a pretty strong word,

Sure enjoyed opening weekend. Shot a nice whitetail (150ish) with my son AND the phlegms lose 2.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:15 PM

I don't wish injuries on anyone....but crappy manegment?
crappy players?
whining fans?
Looks good on ya Edmonton!!
You rub in all those Cups...but that is history...they don't seem to be helpin'
the Frogs... or you!
Keep your heads up, oiler fans...cause that's the only way you're going to see the FLAMES!!!

archdlx
Old 11-04-2007, 09:06 PM

who is whining? nobody but ourselves (the oilers in general) can be blamed for what is going on right now. but we will get through it and come out better than before. always have always will...

just hope all those "fans" in calgary don't break ankles when they start jumping off the bandwagon. cause all things go in cycles.....
Old 11-04-2007, 10:10 PM

Sorry guys. I was in a bit of a foul mood last night. Honestly I wasn't whining.....just pointing out how easily an entire season can be derailed by injuries.

I'm in no way asking for sympathy, I am just trying to make a point about how easily a season can be shattered.

What I AM doing is staying true to my team. I have been a fan of the Oilers since their first game in the NHL. Hell, I even knew them when they were in Indianapolis. I don't care who you root for so long as you always do........good times or bad. Band wagoners are in the same category as poachers for me. Stay true brother!

Tree
Old 11-04-2007, 10:16 PM

blue and copper till the end.....
Old 11-04-2007, 10:20 PM
Banned

THE END IS NIGH

I know it goes in circles... Trust me.. We heard enough about it when we were on the downside

Jamie

BTW.. Its a LONG season....

Last edited by Jamie; 11-04-2007 at 10:26 PM.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:28 PM

There is one good thing about the bandwagoners in Edmonton. Last year I went from 2500 on the waiting list for season tickets, to getting them this year, and judging by the comments at the games.....I will be looking to upgrade my seats, as more are falling off the bandwagon, and saying they are not going to renew.

Yes injuries suck, yes certain factors in management should be changed, but I will remain a fan through and through.

To kind of switch gears....what is it with the so-called underdogs so far this year. Columbus.....wowsers, that team is flying right now. "ol Detroit isn't going to have a cakewalk in their divisional games this year, and add to that the upstart play of the Hawks and the blues. Playoffs will interesting for sure.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:12 PM
700TI

Quote:

I know it goes in circles... Trust me.. We heard enough about it when we were on the downside

Jamie
Uh....hello......finishing 8th in the conference and losing in the first round isn't quite on the upside. Oops .... forgot, we are talking Phlegms aren't we.

Last edited by 700TI; 11-05-2007 at 06:42 AM.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:26 AM

Did you guys hear that Dwayne Roloson attempted suicide yesterday...........

He jumped out in front of a bus but it went right through his legs.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:29 AM

No need to apoligize,we all have strong feelings for are teams.

I should show you the holes in my walls sometime .

Quote:
Sorry guys. I was in a bit of a foul mood last night. Honestly I wasn't whining.....just pointing out how easily an entire season can be derailed by injuries.

I'm in no way asking for sympathy, I am just trying to make a point about how easily a season can be shattered.

What I AM doing is staying true to my team. I have been a fan of the Oilers since their first game in the NHL. Hell, I even knew them when they were in Indianapolis. I don't care who you root for so long as you always do........good times or bad. Band wagoners are in the same category as poachers for me. Stay true brother!

Tree
Old 11-05-2007, 06:31 AM

Losing is Losing 700...i did not see Joe thornton and company hoisting lord Stanley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700TI View Post
Uh....hello......finishing 16th in the conference and losing in the first round isn't quite on the upside. Oops .... forgot, we are talking Phlegms aren't we.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:50 AM

only diff in losing in the final round compared to the first is...MONEY!

you're still a loser...

archdlx.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700TI View Post
Uh....hello......finishing 8th in the conference and losing in the first round isn't quite on the upside. Oops .... forgot, we are talking Phlegms aren't we.

700, you just hit the Flames with a BURN! Anyone else see the irony?

As for the Sharks...mmmmmmm! They make good soup!

Oh yeah, last I had the heart to look it was 5-1 Min over the Oil. At least they're consistant!

Tree
Old 11-05-2007, 11:06 PM
Banned

When compared to the Oilers.. YES
we are on the upside.. Come to think of it.. isnt everybody on the upside when compared to the oilers?

Burn... My AZZ

Jamie
Old 11-05-2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
When compared to the Oilers.. YES
we are on the upside.. Come to think of it.. isnt everybody on the upside when compared to the oilers?

Burn... My AZZ

Jamie
I agree, Jamie. My God, my son's tyke team could probably give 'em a run for their money right now, and one of the kids needs a BUCKET!

However, (ignoring this season's play of course, which has been outstandingish) it's time to STOP comparing yourselves to the Oil in order to feel good about yourselves. That game is over for now. You guys are fortunate enough to have an elite team in the league, and I for one congratulate the organization. I'd love to see them make another cup run. It was a blast in cowtown in '04, and I REALLY miss 'FlamesGirls.com'!

Tree
Old 11-05-2007, 11:36 PM
Banned

Elite..
Thats a PURTY big word.. At best we are a 500 team (So far)
More than a little tinkering needs to be done.
BUT
I have FAITH!!

Jamie
Old 11-06-2007, 12:04 AM

4-1 Avs. Shoulda worked harder for Smitty. That's 3 in a row boys. I have a good idea what the problem is but I really don't want to get killed here so I'll keep it to myself for now.

Tree

PS No need to point out that the Oilers lost again tonight too. That's what they, and in fact, they are getting quite good at it.....elite in fact.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:17 PM
700TI

This will sound good.

Sharks leading their division, 3rd in the conference.
Oilers in last place with the Phlegms only one win ahead of them.

I think the phlegms are going to have to score more than 1 goal a game , or play mighty fine defense if they want to make the playoffs. They are consistent however, 4-1 scores the last 3 games. Keenan may be gone before the New Year.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:47 PM

3rd in conference only because they lead a weak division. They are TIED for points with the flames. 10 teams are with 5 points of each other. Sharks are hardly breaking out head of anything.

Sounds good to you if you ignore those facts. You try to make it sound like the sharks are far ahead. When they are withing 1 game of being over taken in points by the Flames, Blues, Preds, Hawks, Stars, Kings, and Ducks.

Your right, that does sound good.

And our head is covered my our colon ? Looks like you are having some trouble thinking
Old 11-06-2007, 04:37 PM
700TI

That's why I said it will "sound" good
And, yes, your response proves my sig is correct.

Last edited by 700TI; 11-06-2007 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Thus BAD management. For example, if you look at the elite teams, their scouting staff is unbelivably good. NJ with Parise, Col with Stasney, Det with....well everyone. Zetterberg, Daytziuk, Holmstrom were all drafted deep.

Honestly, money means nothing with a cap when your scouting and farm system is top notch. Detroit and Colorado and even Jersey are the best. Scott Gomez out of Alaska anyone? How many Oiler draft picks other than Gagner and Cogliano have made the club in the last decade? Kim Issel or Robbie Schremph anyone?

Tree
Ales Hemsky, Shawn Horcoff, Kyle Brodziak, Jarret Stoll, Matt Greene, Mike Comrie. I dont like mentioning these guys but since you asked "How many Oiler draft picks other than Gagner and Cogliano have made the club in the last decade" JF Jacques, Mathieu Roy, Zach Stortini, Jason Chimera, Mike Morrison, Alexei Semenov, Brad Winchester, Jussi Markkanen, Marc Andre Pouliot, and Bryan Young has just been called up.
I'm not saying any of these players are in the same skill level as a Datsyuk, or Zetterburg. But we did beat those players in 6 games with a good number of our own home growns- Horc, Hemsky, Smyth, Pisani,Markkanen, and Stoll were all huge parts of our SCF run.
This season is going to suck.

Last edited by Swamp_Donkey; 11-06-2007 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:16 AM

ilya is amazing...wow