Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Ripped off at a auto repair shop
Got ripped off 105 75.54%
Did not get ripped off 34 24.46%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-24-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLeahy View Post
YEP..I totally agree with this thread !! Every automotive shop should be shut down and burned to the ground because everyone of them f***'s joe blow public including their mother & grandma...
Just reminded me of another story when my Daytona was making an awful noise on drivers side, pulled into a Goodyear shop on yellowhead, up on hoist and they report: "it's a sealed bearing so has to be pressed out, will be $940".

Conclusion: found a really good shop on 50th street by
Habitat cresent in Edm, charge: $150+gst.
Of course good shops are out there..just like finding gold nuggets in the NSR is also out there.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:09 PM

Don't tar them all with the same brush. Not guilty till proven innocent. I know some great shops and people running them that you can go in and have coffee with them and they will sit down and chat with you. And they will do that without even working on your car. Some shops are about customer relationship not the rat race dollar. You just have to find yourself one. If you think the big guys will give you the time of day good luck your just a number. And some of them are more knowledgable then the dam dealer
Old 06-24-2017, 10:39 PM

The thing is that they should ALL be good trustworthy shops. Why should I or anyone else have to ask everyone they know where a good shop is?
The question is, why are so many shops not honest?
I've never been ripped off or lied to at the gas station, the Walmart, the Safeway, or most places I do business with.
Why are auto repair shop notorious for this BS?

I have a great shop that I go to when I need things done I can't do myself.
Been going to him for years but if he closed shop tomorrow what then?
Play hit and miss with random shops till I find a decent one again?

They should all be decent and honest or close shop. If they can't stay in business without ripping people off then they have no right to be in that business.

For anyone in Edmonton that wants to know where a good auto repair place is,
Center 101 auto on 101 St. and Princess Elizabeth Ave. Ask for Min (he's the owner).
I've sent many people to see him and they all continue to go to him when they need their cars or trucks fixed.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:02 PM

Well used to take cars in and get sears at metro town to look over my cars, then I would fix it myself, once after fixing everything went to speedy for the alignment, was told nope, needs at least 500.00 worth of work due to bad parts, so back to sears they had no problem doing the four wheel alignment on my topaz, said they had no issues and that all was good, asked who said it was bad, so told them and they just shook their head.
You best have knowledge of cars.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
The thing is that they should ALL be good trustworthy shops. Why should I or anyone else have to ask everyone they know where a good shop is?
The question is, why are so many shops not honest?
I've never been ripped off or lied to at the gas station, the Walmart, the Safeway, or most places I do business with.
Why are auto repair shop notorious for this BS?

I have a great shop that I go to when I need things done I can't do myself.
Been going to him for years but if he closed shop tomorrow what then?
Play hit and miss with random shops till I find a decent one again?

They should all be decent and honest or close shop. If they can't stay in business without ripping people off then they have no right to be in that business.

Center 101 auto on 101 St. and Princess Elizabeth Ave. Ask for Min (he's the owner).
I've sent many people to see him and they all continue to go to him when they need their cars or trucks fixed.
Thank-You !!
Now thats a good informational post !!
Old 06-25-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big zeke View Post
Several years ago I sent my Dodge diesel to SAIT for a front end inspection and any needed repairs. I was selling the truck and didn't want any surprises during the sale. The truck gave no indication of front end problems although this is a known weak spot on these trucks. Immediately prior to dropping it off I rotated the tires and did a brake inspection, about half gone both front and rear, rotors and drums were unmarked.

SAIT has it for about 3 weeks (I knew the timing when I dropped it off, I wasn't driving it anyways). One day I get a call, truck is done, front end was all OK, no required repairs. The front brakes were shot though, including the rotors; they charged parts only and the bill came to about $400. When I asked to see the old parts they told me they recycle them immediately, they have no storage for used parts.

They are definitely training mechanics, or at least auto shop owners

Even if I owned a FORD I wouldn't go back there.
Why bash Fords when your clearly uncapable of even working on your own pickup
Old 06-25-2017, 08:31 AM

I'm not taking side but when you say you fix it yourself but then take it in for them to finish the job. Ie: alignment. Bleed brakes etc. Then you are not capable of doing the job yourself from start to finish. I think you leave yourself wide open. Bs you at kidding yourself if you think you can't get taken at other businesses. Why do you think there are consumer advocates. Have you sign any energy contracts. Opps they can't go door to door anymore and that's your utility co. You own a vehicle don't you think it is designed to start costing you money from day one and that's big business. How do you sell more cars? Answer from the board room ( don't make them last so long ). And o bet you don't mind taxes biggest ripoff yet. How many honest rich people you found latley. Bring it closer to home. What about the Remington trigger scam. Now granted calling new parts defective is bad. 90% of all new parts returned as defective are tested to be fine from the manufactures. Look at store credit cards 2.2% monthly based on a 21 day month do the math for total year interest how you spell rip off

Last edited by Suzukisam; 06-25-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:22 AM

This is why it is so important to find a mechanic you trust. I have used the same Ok tire in Castor for years. One time I was having issues with my DEF system, they quoted me 3k for a repair, got a call the next day that the repair wasn't needed instead it was $130. That pretty much sold me on using them. I think with how fast word travels in a small town like that, it keeps it a bit safer.
A mechanic you trust is worth their weight in gold, imo.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post

My father in law tells everyone to go to this shop so when my wifes car kept having her engine light pop up she went there. The dealership kept saying everything was good but it wasnt. Afted 3-4 visits at the dealer she gave up and took her car to this place and he fixed it on the first visit.

She had other minor work done some of which he didnt charge her for. Shes been back there once or twice after that since she loves her car and will drive it till it blows up. She now tells everyone to bring their car there as well.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:50 AM

Anyone got ripped off by a dentist?
Ripped off by a lawyer?
By an engineer?
List goes on and on.

Upper class ripping off middle class
Old 06-25-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
Ripped off by a lawyer?
By an engineer?
List goes on and on.

No to the above..but i did get ripped off by some
Notley chick selling some carbon thingy a few mths ago..
Old 06-25-2017, 05:18 PM

Just get a quote first .
Old 06-25-2017, 05:20 PM

One of the most corrupt industries in this country as far as I'm concerned. They need to be more acountable. I'm a trades person and am all for a "college
Of trades " organization like they have you in Ontario. Or some other system that will look into crap like not doing lug nuts up. You screw up badly or
Consistently you loose your ticket. I hate government making more rules but this BS needs to end. I won't even mention the crap I see in my trade. Pathetic really. Time to write my MLA and get the ball rolling on this.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
Ripped off by a lawyer?
By an engineer?
List goes on and on.

Never been ripped off by any of those.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukisam View Post
I'm not taking side but when you say you fix it yourself but then take it in for them to finish the job. Ie: alignment. Bleed brakes etc. Then you are not capable of doing the job yourself from start to finish.
Yeah, I always keep an alignment machine in the trunk of my car just in case.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
One of the most corrupt industries in this country as far as I'm concerned. They need to be more acountable. I'm a trades person and am all for a "college
Of trades " organization like they have you in Ontario. Or some other system that will look into crap like not doing lug nuts up. You screw up badly or
Consistently you loose your ticket. I hate government making more rules but this BS needs to end. I won't even mention the crap I see in my trade. Pathetic really. Time to write my MLA and get the ball rolling on this.
Been in the trade for 20 years. Still have a job because I don't screw up . Have seen many guys fired for screwing up.
Government is involved. I have a permanent bad record on file with the government for making a major mistake on a out of province inspection. I made the mistake of having bad hand writing, I corrected a letter on a VIN on handwritten form.

Good and bad everywhere, doesn't matter which trade or profession. Problem with vehicles is everyones an expert mechanic even if they don't have a clue what's going on. I've seen many vehicles come in that everything has been done wrong. These vehicles are on the road all over the place. Front end parts held together with bailer twine, wire or whatever would work.

Unfortunately there are many dishonest shops and mechanics out there. I've seen many estimates and repairs that were not needed or overcharged. Not limited to dealers or small shops. I work in a dealership, worst mechanic I ever saw came from a small repair shop. Before he was fired I had to double check his quotes and repairs before they were done.

If you really want to complain about repair shops then let's really get the government involved and go after bad shops and mechanics.. But we also need to have the government involved and have mandatory inspections done on all vehicles , controlled by the government so that we have all the unsafe vehicles off the road. You might be very surprised with how much less traffic would be on the road.

I grew up with the saying better to pay for my mistakes then pay somebody else. I have no issue with someone doing there own work IF they a capable.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:32 AM

You can blame the chilton book for a lot of labour costs.

1 hr to change 4 spark plugs with easy access right in front of you, on a minor tune up. I could do that in less than 10 mins. I really gave it to the department manager and got all costs cut in half.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:28 AM

In 1985 I was driving my Dads 1969 chev half ton. The starter went while I was in Lloydminster. I went to RJR Noyes and bought one, think it was $85.00. They wanted 1.5 hours to change it, $90.00.
I was 17, that was all the money in the world back then.
I laid on the parking lot in the rain under the truck and did it myself in 15 minutes. I remember going in to the service department, asking why it took them 6x as long on a hoist with air tools.
That was the first time I heard about 'book time' and the last time I had a garage do anything I could do myself.
I did my first transmission, same truck, laying on the gravel and saved hundreds, but in doing so have saved countless thousands by learning to self repair.
A friend of mine told me he can change 4-6 timing belts on import cars in a day. Let's average and say 5. They bill 8 hours per belt. That's 40 hours charged per day by 1 man. How is that not a rip off? Book time is legal theft.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:30 PM

And don't forget legally allowing to charge a percentage of each invoice as shop supplies whether any are used or not.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
In 1985 I was driving my Dads 1969 chev half ton. The starter went while I was in Lloydminster. I went to RJR Noyes and bought one, think it was $85.00. They wanted 1.5 hours to change it, $90.00.
I laid on the parking lot in the rain under the truck and did it myself in 15 minutes. I remember going in to the service department, asking why it took them 6x as long on a hoist with air tools.
That was the first time I heard about 'book time' and the last time I had a garage do anything I could do myself.
I did my first transmission, same truck, laying on the gravel and saved hundreds, but in doing so have saved countless thousands by learning to self repair.
A friend of mine told me he can change 4-6 timing belts on import cars in a day. Let's average and say 5. They bill 8 hours per belt. That's 40 hours charged per day by 1 man. How is that not a rip off? Book time is legal theft.
So how should a shop charge? He's paid by the job not the hour. Maybe he bought some overpriced snap on tool to be more efficient. He pays for his tools out of his paycheck . These tools hold no value. Maybe the next guy can't even do that job in the time allowed. Should they charge more because someone is slow?

Should I have to pay $250 for a guy to come to my house for less than an hour to have my sewers cleaned from tree roots? Then leave a mess for me to clean up. Couldn't rent the proper equipment locally to do it myself.

There is no winning on how a business should charge. How much extra do they charge for equipment costs, overhead, extra people besides the mechanic. I have no problem going to being paid by the hour instead of the job. Be nice to actually take breaks during the work day. Can slow down so I'm not in a full sweat all day .

So would it be better to keep book time or just however long it takes me ? Some jobs would work in your favour. Many you would pay more than book time. I'm really slow when it comes to engine work. Only like to do it once. Very rare that I actually do those jobs in book time. Never have to do them twice.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:48 PM

Watch out for Price auto Sundre had a lift put on they removed the running boards to do the job and then only put half the bolts back in . Called there and left message after message for the owner to call me and he never did . I have talked to a few people after and this seem to be the way they roll
Old 06-26-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Maybe he can change 6 timing belts a day but doubtful he gets 6 of those a day, he probably gets 2 or 3 a week plus gets a whole lot of other stuff that he only breaks even on and some he loses hours on. I know lots of flat rate guys and they like to brag when they work an 8 hour day and make 20 hours or in your friend's case 40 a day, then get a 8 hour crap job next which they work on for 3 days and lose what they gained. If your boasting buddy is earning 40 hours a day at $40 an hour he would be making $416,000 a year, somehow I doubt that's the case. Some days go well some don't that's why most shops use the flat rate manual which appropriates a common job cost for each procedure. Someone has to pay for that million dollar building lease or mortgage, secretaries, service advisors, freight, utilities and taxes, insurance, car wash guy, accountants building maintenance and more. No different than the dentist, doctor, plumber, contractor, hardware or grocery store or anybody else that gives you a job cost quote or contract then if anything goes wrong they want more. If the customer cancels or doesn't show up that mechanic may sit sometimes for hours or days not getting paid or generating income for the shop waiting for something else to come in.

Sure there are plenty of guys and small shops/businesses that will cut your trees, fix your car, do your plumbing, build your garage for cheap, but they probably don't have much overhead, a decent shop, or a variety of equipment to diagnose or repair every component on your vehicle or a 6 million dollar body shop with every conceivable piece of equipment the insurance companies demand them to have or they won't do business with you. Your car burns up in their shop your on your own. Maybe they drive an old $5000.00 ex-hydro bucket truck to arbour your trees, have no liability insurance, drive a $1000 beat up old rusty van full of beat up tools to plumb or wire your garage, don't claim the cash or cheque you pay them with or submit the GST/PST they charge you, don't pay taxes and the majority live hand to mouth. In some cases the shop has been there for 50 years and they do really good work on brakes or mufflers or whatever, usually have a long list of clientele, can't expand as their property is limited and only have the capacity to service a small amount of customers and are steadily turning away work, have no intention to expand as they are grandfathered with old zoning laws and are not interested in having to invest millions to satisfy modern regulations and building codes to service more customers, probably lose their shirt and pull all their hair out trying to pay for it all. Besides their son is into telecommunications and doesn't want anything to do with the business. They have no more mortgage or rent to pay, their dad or grandpa started the business 50 years ago, they are usually small independently owned older shops and this is where you sometimes find good service at fair rates, if you can get in. As time goes by they are dying out just like most small mom and pop businesses eventually do. It's a sign of the times, the big chains and stealerships are taking this industry over.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:31 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
How so? Almost 30 years of driving and vehicle ownership, my cars have seen a garage twice. Once for a blown motor when the timing belt spit teeth, another for a steering rack. Both under warranty, neither cost me a cent.

Otherwise, I do all the work on my cars.

I know people that take their cars in to a garage, replace the alternator, it's shot. Ok, they replace the alternator, but the problem was elsewhere. Is that a rip off? If you don't know squat about cars, then you have to depend on others to fix it.
Hmmmm neither cost you a cent eh, ok, your time, your dime to get there etc all adds up...vehicles are money, money is time and time is money...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-26-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
So how should a shop charge? He's paid by the job not the hour. Maybe he bought some overpriced snap on tool to be more efficient. He pays for his tools out of his paycheck . These tools hold no value. Maybe the next guy can't even do that job in the time allowed. Should they charge more because someone is slow?
Should I have to pay $250 for a guy to come to my house for less than an hour to have my sewers cleaned from tree roots? Then leave a mess for me to clean up. Couldn't rent the proper equipment locally to do it myself.
There is no winning on how a business should charge. How much extra do they charge for equipment costs, overhead, extra people besides the mechanic. I have no problem going to being paid by the hour instead of the job. Be nice to actually take breaks during the work day. Can slow down so I'm not in a full sweat all day .
So would it be better to keep book time or just however long it takes me ? Some jobs would work in your favour. Many you would pay more than book time. I'm really slow when it comes to engine work. Only like to do it once. Very rare that I actually do those jobs in book time. Never have to do them twice.
If I walk in the door, and they say 'this job is $1100 and it will take 8 hours' and I accept then the mechanic tells me he did it in 2.5 by himself, do you think it is warranted and justified? I call that intent to defraud. If they say 'book rate is 8 hours $1100' that is their 'disclosure' and they can get by on that little trick.
I have intimate knowledge of this, being in the business of Account Recovery for over 30 years. I have heard of this and seen it on invoices countless times. The same mechanic can not possibly work on 4 vehicles in 1 day 8 hours each, yet there it is on the invoices. The timecards read different, isn't that odd?

I don't care how they charge, they make money or the doors would be closed.
Snap on tools are bought because they are cool, or in the mind of the mechanic the best tool for the job. Again I do not care if they use Snap-on Mac Sears or Fisher Price, that is their choice.
Charging more for a 'trainee' is also not unheard of, again they sometimes do not get away with it for long.
I would complain and pay less for the mess personally if they left it for me.
I have no trouble paying for overhead, I understand what it takes to keep the lights on. The problem I have is hearing from mechanic friends that they are billing 40 hour days for 1 mechanic. The mechanic in question was making $31.00 per hour, and getting paid for 10 hours. They were billing 30 over that at $110.00 per hour plus shop supplies and and and and and. Think he was frustrated when he left them?
I was just told that it was 2.5 hours LABOR + $25 somekindafee to change the windshield in my 2009 F150 at my dealer. Is that a ripoff?
Old 06-26-2017, 05:48 PM

Hey you can do a wheel alignment without the use of a $40,000 alignment computer after all 1/2 degree is 1/2 degree weather measured by a stanly bubble cause or computer. 1/8 toe is 1/8 toe with lufken or computer. One is just faster and more efficient. But you will pay for that. I don't se you guys whining about the cost of alignment at 89-149 dollars yet the book time is 3 hours for most cars without rusted adjusters. They run that at a loss leader just like every other store to get you in there. Why does it cost $5000 to do a roof with 60 bundles there only driving nails. Yes some buy air nailers that their choice to save their arms for old age. Wake up this is a capitalistic society. $9 of natural gas but your bill is $120 now multiply that by 1 million homes. Look at your own jobs and what your co. Charges. Oh yeah that's right only auto shops rip people off because we are all mechanics in our own minds lol

Last edited by Suzukisam; 06-26-2017 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:57 PM

Then again no one has ever been ripped off by an insurance co. Don't think that I have not seen mistakes made out there in billing or need repairs. Hell no ive seen them and laugh at some of them they are that bad. But I don't think they are common place for I am sure for every complaint we could find 10 good reviews

Last edited by Suzukisam; 06-26-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Hmmmm neither cost you a cent eh, ok, your time, your dime to get there etc all adds up...vehicles are money, money is time and time is money...
$4000+ engine job vs my time? I'll sacrifice a bit of time. Still running that engine in a different car and it's pushing 400K, only time it ever let me down. Even the dealer is impressed Takes me 4 hours to change the $40 T-belt every 60K, should I complain about that as well?

And how is all that a ripoff?
Old 06-26-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
If I walk in the door, and they say 'this job is $1100 and it will take 8 hours' and I accept then the mechanic tells me he did it in 2.5 by himself, do you think it is warranted and justified? I call that intent to defraud. If they say 'book rate is 8 hours $1100' that is their 'disclosure' and they can get by on that little trick.
I have intimate knowledge of this, being in the business of Account Recovery for over 30 years. I have heard of this and seen it on invoices countless times. The same mechanic can not possibly work on 4 vehicles in 1 day 8 hours each, yet there it is on the invoices. The timecards read different, isn't that odd?

I don't care how they charge, they make money or the doors would be closed.
Snap on tools are bought because they are cool, or in the mind of the mechanic the best tool for the job. Again I do not care if they use Snap-on Mac Sears or Fisher Price, that is their choice.
Charging more for a 'trainee' is also not unheard of, again they sometimes do not get away with it for long.
I would complain and pay less for the mess personally if they left it for me.
I have no trouble paying for overhead, I understand what it takes to keep the lights on. The problem I have is hearing from mechanic friends that they are billing 40 hour days for 1 mechanic. The mechanic in question was making $31.00 per hour, and getting paid for 10 hours. They were billing 30 over that at $110.00 per hour plus shop supplies and and and and and. Think he was frustrated when he left them?
I was just told that it was 2.5 hours LABOR + $25 somekindafee to change the windshield in my 2009 F150 at my dealer. Is that a ripoff?
Really sounds like there is much more to this story than can be done on a forum. Sounds like a scam of warranty to me. Dealers have been caught scamming manufacturers before. I would like to know the vehicle in this discussion to check book time and look at service procedure. That is a big time difference.

Manufacturers make the times. Aftermarket companies modify to allow for seized and rusted fasteners. A good mechanic will always find a way to do something faster and more efficient. I envy the guys with small arms and hands that can sneak stuff out. I have to remove more thing to get at parts to make it easier. Don't get paid extra just less frustration and swearing.

Shop rates are charged out the same for apprentices. I really doubt you will find that different in any trade. Usually it takes them longer to do than book time, still learning. Do you really think that when a company bids on a construction contract to that they give breaks on labour to allow for apprentices to do work? I even seen some of the younger guys that are better than experienced mechanics.

Flat rate times have been around for decades. I believe it was Henry Ford that came up with them. He didn't want his dealers overcharging so they decided on times so it would be standard. If I do the same job over and over again I will figure out a way to do faster. When they do times at the factory they follow the procedure with a stopwatch. Figure out each step and add them up to do the times by the manual. You can tell when a manufacturer is losing money on a vehicle due to recalls. They really have no issue cutting times back so they don't lose anything but the mechanic will.

Snap on tools really aren't that cool. Most guys bought them because there wasn't much choice for a long time. I always try and steer apprentices to Canadian tire for most of there tool needs. Same warranty at at fraction of cost. Wish I had that choice when I started in the trade. Get decent toolboxes now everywhere . Price out a snap on tool box and tell me the value in it. Really the only thing I would recommend from snap on is there screwdrivers , pry bars, and torque wrenches.

Not sure what book time is for a windshield. Would take it to a glass shop personally . Do it yourself. If you make a mistake you'll find out when it rains.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:50 PM

even if the apprentice works on your vehicle the licensed tech has to stop working on his job to ensure he apprentice has done the job correctly, as it is his ticket on the line.so not only is the shop paying the apprentice for the job but also the licensed tech.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukisam View Post
Then again no one has ever been ripped off by an insurance co. Don't think that I have not seen mistakes made out there in billing or need repairs. Hell no ive seen them and laugh at some of them they are that bad. But I don't think they are common place for I am sure for every complaint we could find 10 good reviews
Why do you defend crappy auto shops by mentioning other places that could potentially rip you off?
No one has said that all shops rip people off Just that everyone has been ripped off at one time or another by auto shops.