Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2016, 09:26 AM

Default Media Terminology Hurting Shooting Sports

CBC Report

Quote:
Toronto police to get military-style assault rifles

Some officers will soon be equipped with the same high-powered rifles that tactical officers use.
The assault rifle term has more than enough threads (and the police model will fit the term ) so I will focus on the chosen wording of high-powered rifles.

Since when did the 5.56mm claim the title and class of high-powered? In reality, there are only a small number of cartidges that are less powerful.

The terms haphazardly thrown out by the media, without any challenge slowly erode our rights by increasing unneccessary fear in the uninformed who demand further legislation.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat in the Cat View Post
CBC Report

The assault rifle term has more than enough threads (and the police model will fit the term ) so I will focus on the chosen wording of high-powered rifles.

Since when did the 5.56mm claim the title and class of high-powered? In reality, there are only a small number of cartidges that are less powerful.

The terms haphazardly thrown out by the media, without any challenge slowly erode our rights by increasing unneccessary fear in the uninformed who demand further legislation.
The term "high powered" as used by the media for a 223 always used to bother me too, until I made the connection that most journalists probably think anyone that can swing a 10lb sledge hammer is a body builder, and a mazda miata is a muscle car.

Let's face it, most "journalists" aren't too curious about the world outside their bubble.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:30 AM

It is a well known in communication and propaganda that words alone are powerful arguments, and if an issue can be defined by use of effective 'word engines' then the debate is won before it even starts.

Similar examples are the use of the term 'high capacity magazine' to describe an AR 'standard capacity magazine' (which is 30 rds.) All of the posters in the current semi-auto thread are improperly using the 'word engineered' term 'high capacity' rather than 'standard capacity' against their own argument and interest.
Even 'gun control' is a carefully 'word engineered' term, as is 'safe storage', and 'not needed for hunting', (the 2nd Amendment is NOT about hunting or target shooting.)
The wide mis-use of the term 'assault rifle' to describe any 'scary' or 'modern' looking firearm is well understood propaganda that is being carefully avoided by the attempt to define police weapons as the softer sounding 'patrol carbines' equipped with 'standard capacity magazines'.
Short barreled handguns are classed as prohibited 'Saturday night specials' except when they are the 'standard issue RCMP sidearm', (which also has a prohibited 'high capacity' but 'standard' magazine).

IMHO, we should never use any of the terms 'word engineered' to defeat our arguments,
and especially 'assault rifle', 'high capacity', or 'automatic' to describe 'modern', 'standard' or 'semi-auto'.

There are many more we should be very cautious about such as 'arsenal', 'hoard', and other similar to describe a 'collection' or reasonable and prudent 'supply' or 'inventory'.

The 'word engineered' term 'reasonable restriction', deserves very special caution.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:48 AM

The media often refers to bolt action rifles as sniper rifles . Any firearm that even looks remotely like a military firearm is often referred to as an assault rifle. The simple fact is that most of the media clowns don't know that to be an assault rifle, the firearm must be capable of automatic fire.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:55 AM

Good post qwert, you hit all the high notes just right.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-20-2016, 11:13 AM
Banned

I always thought this was funny
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...dentification/
Old 01-20-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
The term "high powered" as used by the media for a 223 always used to bother me too,
snip
Anybody that uses the 'word engineered' term 'high powered' to describe a 223 should be reminded that,
a 223 is not legal for hunting deer as it is not powerful enough for reliable and ethical use.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:21 AM

Default Toronto police to get military-style assault rifles

Looks like CBC has decided everybody has "assault" rifles

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...fles-1.3409707

Dozens of front-line Toronto police officers will soon be equipped with semi-automatic assault rifles similar those carried by Canadian Forces soldiers and specialized tactical units, CBC News has learned.

The Toronto Police service is set to buy at least 50 C8 carbine assault rifles from Colt Canada, which is based in Kitchener, Ont. The rifles, which cost $2,000 each, will be carried in patrol cars in all of the city's 17 divisions beginning in May.

Carbine Assault rifles now
Old 01-20-2016, 11:24 AM

If it has a black stock it must be dangerous
Old 01-20-2016, 11:36 AM

I'm surprised they didn't refer to it as a machine gun.

"They're so easy to use that an untrained CBC reporter was able to hit a bullseye at the range, something he couldn't do with the standard pistol and shotgun."
Old 01-20-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
Anybody that uses the 'word engineered' term 'high powered' to describe a 223 should be reminded that,
a 223 is not legal for hunting deer as it is not powerful enough for reliable and ethical use.

Good Luck, YMMV.
In some States and Provinces your opinion about the .223 is proven dead wrong every fall.
Cat
Old 01-20-2016, 12:42 PM

I participated in writing board a while back, where the introductory direction given to us by the Maj have stuck with me: 'Words mean s%$#.' Language frames the debate. 'How many firearms do you have in your collection?' 'How many weapons do you have in your arsenal?'
Old 01-20-2016, 01:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by particle View Post
I participated in writing board a while back, where the introductory direction given to us by the Maj have stuck with me: 'Words mean s%$#.' Language frames the debate. 'How many firearms do you have in your collection?' 'How many weapons do you have in your arsenal?'
How many tools do you have for accumulating groceries?
Old 01-20-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
In some States and Provinces your opinion about the .223 is proven dead wrong every fall.
Cat
The opinion is not mine, and I do not share it.

However, since the presstitutes have no problem publishing inaccurate information when it suits their owner's/master's agenda,
we should not hesitate to use government opinion when it supports our position.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
Maybe, but accurate media reporting would say " low powered small game rifle".
I'm sure we will never hear them use that term.