Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2016, 08:31 AM

Smile Who is getting a new dog this year?

I know some of you are, who else, and we'd like pictures and pedigrees. We will probably have a litter or two this summer, all 3 dogs are in heat now, but we always skip a heat cycle for the health of the bitch. I need to get the 18 month one x-rayed soon too. If you are waiting to get your hands on that little ball of fur, I know how exciting it can be.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:43 AM

we got a dog in the fall from arrcs rescue dog .
border collie cross beagle very smart pup. Quigley is her name.
we plan on getting another this spring . not sure what breed yet

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 01-17-2016, 09:02 AM

We have a request in (hold) on a pup if the breeding occurs and is successful for a Toller. So hopefully we will back into training of a new pup. This is my leading into retirement gift to myself.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:09 AM

Brought home our new Great dane just before x-mas. Puppies suck, but i love him.the cats love him, the other dane loves him, the ferret has even taken a shining to him. Cant wait until he's cuddly, lol.
Tullfan
Old 01-17-2016, 09:25 AM

Default Dog

Plan on getting a dog this spring. Always had a dog growing up. Last number of years was the first time not having a dog. Kids are wanting one as well. Really need a good guard dog that is good with kids. Crime is getting out of control out here on the farm. Any suggestions? Leaning towards a German shepherd.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:30 AM

My Drahthaar pup was born a few days ago. I will be making a road trip to Manitoba to pick him up in March. By next fall, I hope to be posting pictures of the first birds he points for me.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:36 AM

I have tried to get my KBD artificially inseminated last fall. Did not work out so I will be getting KBD pup.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:44 AM

Default Who is getting a new dog this year?

Picking our next one up the end of Feb from Prairie Storm Kennels.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:49 AM

My gf and I would like to get one. I think a puppy is out of the question due to the lack of time we would have to train it. We are looking for a dog that is already house trained, good on and off leash etc.. We have looked at AARCS but most not all dogs have issues and the ones that don't get snapped up fast.
If anyone has a dog that they need to part with let me know!

Thanks
Old 01-17-2016, 10:02 AM

Been really thinking about a dog lately. Kids would love one, and I am starting to feel bad they don't have one yet. Always had a dog growing up and it's a memory I cherished. Also be nice to have something guarding the house, especially when/if I go out of town to work again.

Unfortunately live in a rental, and originally the rule was no animals. Been in here a while though and the landlords really appreciate us so I am thinking they may let us. I think I want to go with a rescue dog though. Puppies are so cute, but it would be nice to skip the whole destroying the house stage.

I like Shepherds, Labs (especially the chocolate), old lady loves huskies. Hard decision. I hate little ankle biters though. Nothing worse. Would rather a cat.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
My gf and I would like to get one. I think a puppy is out of the question due to the lack of time we would have to train it. We are looking for a dog that is already house trained, good on and off leash etc.. We have looked at AARCS but most not all dogs have issues and the ones that don't get snapped up fast.
If anyone has a dog that they need to part with let me know!

Thanks
our dog was 6months old from arrcs no issues and is a great dog to smart

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 01-17-2016, 10:52 AM

We have our 8.5 year chocolate lab, but as long as we are in the city I will not get another one.

The City of Red Deer hates dogs, they know when we take her for walks , and the animal bylaw just circles our area lots.

I walk our dog off leash and she is right by my side, and they keep telling me to put her on a leash, even though my dog is in my control, and will not go to anyone, or is not interested in other dogs.

I hate offleash dog parks, as dog owners there let their dog defecate where ever and hopefully the snow will cover it up, and people bring their aggressive dogs there to attack other dogs.

sorry to derail this thread.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:25 PM

The wife seems to think we need a stupid barking dog just ca use were moving rural ...whutever. why don't she do something with those stupid horse's she already has.. four legged waste of time. I can't think of bigger luxury than a pet.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 01-17-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
The wife seems to think we need a stupid barking dog just ca use were moving rural ...whutever. why don't she do something with those stupid horse's she already has.. four legged waste of time. I can't think of bigger luxury than a pet.
de rail

Old 01-17-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
Unlike most pets, a well trained hunting dog is actually very useful.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:21 PM

Purebred rottie/wolf mix
Old 01-17-2016, 04:37 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskra View Post
I have tried to get my KBD artificially inseminated last fall. Did not work out so I will be getting KBD pup.
What is a KBD?

I have had dogs for over 60 years. Lots of different breeds as well as training for different purposes. Worked with the SPCA and humane society and learned a lot form them. I don't think i've ever liked a persson who didn't like dogs.
I've associated with and done business with those folks, but never liked them.

Elkhunter, I like labs, always have, but if I were to get another breed, I believe it would be a Drahthaar. A client brought one up on a wolf hunt and I was impressed at the temperament and versatility of the dog. I like a lot of dogs, but not a lot really impress me like this dog did.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-17-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
What is a KBD?

I have had dogs for over 60 years. Lots of different breeds as well as training for different purposes. Worked with the SPCA and humane society and learned a lot form them. I don't think i've ever liked a persson who didn't like dogs.

Elkhunter, I like labs, always have, but if I were to get another breed, I believe it would be a Drahthaar. A client brought one up on a wolf hunt and I was impressed at the temperament and versatility of the dog. I like a lot of dogs, but not a lot really impress me like this dog did.
I have hunted over GWPs for several years and they were great bird dogs, but after a great deal of research , it appears that due to the strict testing and breeding requirements of the VDD system, the Drahthaars tend to have fewer behavioral issues than the GWPs. I spent over a year settling on the breed and picking a breeder, and then I put a deposit down, and waited another year, but in a couple of months, I will finally have my pup.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalhunter View Post

Purebred rottie/wolf mix
Huh ?

Kind of an oxymoron... Well, not kind of.

* cute pup though !

The g/f and I want a dog, but we currently rent in a "no dogs" condo...

Last edited by J0HN_R1; 01-17-2016 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:10 PM

Default Eh11

Spoke to the owner of a 10 month VDD Drahthaar out of a Manitoba breeder at the gun show yesterday. he will probably swing by when it warms up for some help as it is his first hunting dog.

Last edited by wwbirds; 01-17-2016 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Spoke to the owner of a 10 month VDD Drahthaar out of a Manitoba breeder at the gun show yesterday. he will probably swing by when it warms up for some help as it is his first hunting dog.
There is only one breeder of VDD Drahthaars in Manitoba, so that dog will be from the same breeder that I am getting my pup from.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:39 PM

My old girl will be 13 this spring and is sadly in quick decline. Contacted prairie storm and they have a few lab litters coming up this spring so I'm throwing the idea around.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I know some of you are, who else, and we'd like pictures and pedigrees. We will probably have a litter or two this summer, all 3 dogs are in heat now, but we always skip a heat cycle for the health of the bitch. I need to get the 18 month one x-rayed soon too. If you are waiting to get your hands on that little ball of fur, I know how exciting it can be.
Always exciting to get a new pup. I met Rina on Sat, Densa44 -- and she's a sweetie!

Unfortunately, my boy (18 months) has my hands full for the foreseeable future.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 01-18-2016, 09:03 AM

We picked up a toller pup just before Christmas. He's just about 3 months now. I'm looking forward to him having more training under his belt. They are cute as puppies, but a ton of work!

Here's the post I made when we picked him up and got him home. http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=275061

There's a couple pictures on there. He's grown a bunch since then and is retrieving a dummy to hand in a field to about 20-25 yards. Sit down pat, stay is coming, and heel is getting close.

SS
Old 01-18-2016, 09:09 AM

Here's a couple pictures of our pup now.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 01-18-2016, 09:23 AM

I am picking up my new Setter pup around March 10th in MN. The little guy was born last Saturday and the breeder sent this photo at one week old. I have second pick of the males.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my litter.jpg (51.3 KB, 31 views)
Old 01-18-2016, 09:29 AM

Hope to get GSP # 4 sometime this year. Sure missing having one around. Been 2 yrs since my last girl left. Wife's little Chihuahua lap dog don't quite cut it
Old 01-19-2016, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
What is a KBD?

Google KBD dogs.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:45 AM

I believe KBD are Karelian Bear Dogs.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 01-19-2016, 03:51 PM

Default My Pup

Callie our Blue Mottled Australian Cattle Dog, she's a rescue. She had hip surgery at the end of Nov so we are still taking it easy with her. She is the sweetest thing, pet stock not working stock. Just what I need living in the city. She comes in the truck with me everyday and can't stand to leave my side. She is so smart, she taught my kids not to leave toys laying around or they become her chew toys......It took two days for her to learn to sit at doors and gates and be invited to go through after everyone else, pretty awesome. Her first year was on a reserve with no home, she was born with hip displaysia which was so painful for her that she lost the top of her femur and after all that she still loves everyone. We just got her last Thursday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160118_212349.jpg (34.5 KB, 13 views)