Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2016, 07:39 PM

Default Can anyone recommend a hotel in Jasper?

My wife and I want to stay 2 nights in Jasper next week if the weather is good. We are not looking to save money nor are we wanting to blow money. We've stayed at JPL in one of the cabins on the lake. In addition, my SIL each had a room there for a couple of nights. IMHO, JPL is waaaay over priced. The main lodge has a wonderful lounge and the food was superb when the restaurant was the Edith Cavel and also when it became the The Moose's Nook. On the other hand, I've stayed in far nicer rooms for far less $$$.

A clean, modern, comfortable and quiet room is what we want. I'm willing to spend up to $300 per night for accommodations, well, maybe $500. The Mount Robson offers the Patricia Suite for $234/night but I have never stayed there.

We are social drinkers who enjoy pubs especially with sing along music. We also enjoy hikes and sight seeing.

We intend to book for Jan.27 and 28. Can anyone suggest some suitable accommodations?

Bobby

Old 01-18-2016, 07:45 PM
Banned

Pyramid Lake Resort is my second go to in Jasper... Check the website for Mountain Park Lodges http://www.mpljasper.com/Have a great time
Old 01-18-2016, 08:25 PM

whistlers inn
Old 01-18-2016, 08:32 PM

The Sawridge Inn is one of the best hotels in Jasper, with great staff and excellent food. They even sponsor this forum! They have newly renovated suites with mountain views, indoor pool and hot tub, spa, dining room, coffee shop, and lounge.
It's also Jasper in January right now, so most hotels are offering lower rates until January 31, and lower prices on lift tickets at Marmot Basin. There are also lots of events going on around town. I would suggest going on an organized canyon crawl in Maligne Canyon. The Sawridge is about a 10 minute walk to town and other bars. The Whislte Stop Pub might be a good spot to check out, as well as the D'ed Dog, Downstream, and Jasper Brewing Company. The Jasper Legion is the most likely spot to find live entertainment.
http://www.sawridgejasper.com/jasperinjanuary
http://www.jasperinjanuary.com
Old 01-18-2016, 08:38 PM

Park Place Inn
In my opinion Room Seven is the best one there.

http://www.parkplaceinn.com/rooms.html
Old 01-18-2016, 08:39 PM

Pyramid lake resort, saw ridge and mount Robison, in that order for me.

We stayed at Jpl a few years ago and frankly it was tired, dirty and expensive. Fairmont should just dump it as it drags them down.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:56 PM

Goto Totem on main street and rent ice cleats. Then go and do the Maligne Canyon Ice walk. Bearspaw Bakery nice breakfast eats, Evil Daves Grill is good dinner.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:28 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming.

A friend recommended The Marmot Lodge. Anyone have any experience with this one? The rooms? The Food? The service?

Bobby

Old 01-18-2016, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLeahy View Post
Pyramid Lake Resort is my second go to in Jasper... Check the website for Mountain Park Lodges http://www.mpljasper.com/Have a great time
I like Pyramid, you can get some pretty good deals sometimes. It's a bit far from downtown but it's quiet. Ask for a room on the 2d floor for total peace!

On the downside, restaurant is a bit of a disappointment. Dishes sound sophisticated but they are not, and you'll need a magnifying glass.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:44 PM
Banned

stayed at Mount robson Inn a couple months ago http://www.mountrobsoninn.com/
motel style . but recently renovated . very clean and good service.
priced competitively when I checked
nice hot tubs outside
Old 01-18-2016, 11:47 PM

I second the Sawridge. Excellent place to stay.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:48 PM

AirBnB or Flipkey (similar to AirBnB, lower fees) are good alternatives as well.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:06 AM

Default Jasper

We always stay at the jasper Inn probably cause I worked there for 5 years LOL

eat at the Fiddle River tell John the chef you know steve

party at the B or the whistle stop

Steve In GP

Old 01-19-2016, 07:35 AM

There are a lot of very nice B&B's usually at a lower rate than the hotels.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:22 AM

For some character, good lounge options, and great central location... we always loved the Athabasca Hotel

- make sure you get the room with private bathroom
- eggs benny are great at the restaurant
Old 01-19-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgoodguy View Post
We always stay at the jasper Inn probably cause I worked there for 5 years LOL

eat at the Fiddle River tell John the chef you know steve

party at the B or the whistle stop
John sold Fiddle River and opened The Raven Bistro, between the AthaB and post office. One of my favourite restaurants in Jasper!
Old 01-19-2016, 09:29 AM

Marmot Lodge, sawmill and the Atha-B are all great.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:35 AM

Jasper park Lodge is a great place. Price might be high for you though.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:37 AM

I really enjoyed the Lobstick in 1977 when I organized a tour bus of College kids from Winnipeg for a New Years eve ski trip.

The maid scrubbed the bathtub out for me so I could make a Yucca Flux for the 40 some peeps that came to my room for the after party.

My chef buddy Tokyo Tom set up an appetizer station on a sheet of plywood on my bed
Old 01-19-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Jasper park Lodge is a great place. Price might be high for you though.
Based on the two times I stayed there, JPL rooms are waaay too much $$$ for what they offer. Thankfully, the first time I was there, one of my suppliers treated the wife and I to an all expense paid 3 night mini vacation. IIRC, the high season rate for our room was $1200 or $1400 per night plus taxes. We've stayed in higher quality rooms for 1/4 the price of JPL.

The second time I stayed at JPL, my SIL entered and won a Father's Day contest. The package he won included 2 nights accommodations. We each had our own rooms and, IIRC, the rate per room was around $500 plus taxes. These were small rooms with small decks. The decks not only needed pain but needed a number of new boards. Some of the tiles on the wall in the bathroom had fallen off and not replaced.

In Namibia and Botswana, some of the locations my wife and I stayed in were around $500/night and they were fantastic. How JPL manages to charge the rates they do defies my imagination. I would never pay to stay there, never.

But, as I mentioned earlier, I do like the main lodge and the dining at JPL.

Bobby

Old 01-19-2016, 01:11 PM

Stayed at lobstick Lodge a fare few times, never had a bad night there. Spent Christmas there a couple of years ago, was a fantastic time and really nice dinner.

Jason
Old 01-19-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
My wife and I want to stay 2 nights in Jasper next week if the weather is good. We are not looking to save money nor are we wanting to blow money. We've stayed at JPL in one of the cabins on the lake. In addition, my SIL each had a room there for a couple of nights. IMHO, JPL is waaaay over priced. The main lodge has a wonderful lounge and the food was superb when the restaurant was the Edith Cavel and also when it became the The Moose's Nook. On the other hand, I've stayed in far nicer rooms for far less $$$.

A clean, modern, comfortable and quiet room is what we want. I'm willing to spend up to $300 per night for accommodations, well, maybe $500. The Mount Robson offers the Patricia Suite for $234/night but I have never stayed there.

We are social drinkers who enjoy pubs especially with sing along music. We also enjoy hikes and sight seeing.

We intend to book for Jan.27 and 28. Can anyone suggest some suitable accommodations?

Bobby
Check out the AMA website, if you're a member. They showed standard rooms for around $200 at the Jasper Park Lodge. Jasper, unfortunately, doesn't have the best accommodations compared to other mountain destinations. With the downturn in the economy, hotels are more willing to deal. We recently stayed at the Chateau Lake Louise for around $200, that never usaully happens.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:27 PM

We stay at the Jasper Park Lodge not for the Room but the Lodge, the Dining, the Location that non of the other hotels offer.
Rate now is $202.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:16 PM

Default Jasper

We were in Jasper this last weekend. Stayed at the renovated Crimson. They did a pretty good job sprucing the place up.
Jasper was busy.
I agree, JPL is way overrated! We go there every year for the CHBA event every September and we usually stay in town now.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:34 PM
Banned

Hi Bobby
I don't have a link but I just read somewhere that just for laughs will be in jasper the 29th. might wanna Google it and check it out not sure.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:16 PM

Sawridge is were I stay when working in Jasper.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:33 PM

Whistlers Inn went through a renovation last Nov, very well done with great art and photos on the wall BUT they didn't update the bathrooms.

It is clean and semi modern. There is a great little pub that a lot of locals go to on the mail floor.
It is very central to everything in town, walking distance wise.

Best western is clean modern and has nice suits.

Sawridge is also decent

Sawridge and bestwestern are not walking distance to anything in this weather in my opinion.