Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-21-2018, 02:09 AM

Default Small Boat West Coast Fishing

Well I've seen a few guys out on the west coast from AB who said my vids helped encourage them to get out there. Here is another in the 16 footer off the west coast of vancouver island. About 4 miles off shore. In a couple hours got 7 chinook and a halibut. Fun times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C63QVPUpoo8

Ucluelet British Columbia is one of our favorite Salmon Fishing destinations on Vancouver Island. Despite not having the Trophy this year due to Engine trouble we took advantage of a calm day and headed out to Ucluelet. After almost sinking the boat the day prior from a livewell water intake pump breaking we were back out in the big ocean the next day. We tried in close without much action besides some rockfish and lingcod. Since the weather seemed like it was staying calm we headed offshore for the afternoon to see what was cooking at south bank. In no time at all was started marking nice bait schools near bottom and the downrigger releases were popping in no time. The key ticket this day was the Gibb Delta Skinny G spoon in green and while or cop car. Didn't seem to matter. We couldn't get a fish to take the hootchie but spoons were the big ticket item. Even caught a chicken Halibut and 7 legal chinook in our afternoon on the bank. What a great day with the family. Sorry didn't end up getting more footage. Fishing was too fast and crazy. Thanks for watching as always.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 10-21-2018, 09:17 AM

I have a 17.5 Lund adventure I think it would be fine to try out in the big blue. I’m just worried what the salt water would do to the boat and the old Johnson motor. Do you wash and flush with fresh water every time after you fish?
Old 10-21-2018, 09:39 AM

Good times, thanks for posting it up.

I grew up on the west coast and fished Nootka for a few years in the late 80’s out of a 12’ Lund before moving up to a “big” 14 foot Lund. Lol. A smaller boat just means you need to get out of there and head in at the first sign the wind is coming up. A big boat just allows you to stay out a bit longer before having to go in. When it gets rough you’re not staying out in anything.

Being older and wiser I wouldn’t suggest fishing outside the inlets in a 12 foot tinny but I’d still do it in a good 14 footer with a bit of power without any worries.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
I have a 17.5 Lund adventure I think it would be fine to try out in the big blue. I’m just worried what the salt water would do to the boat and the old Johnson motor. Do you wash and flush with fresh water every time after you fish?
Yeah I usually rinse the whole boat off with fresh water. I even spray the inside out with fresh hot water cause it's usually a bloody mess. I also run fresh water through the engines when I get home after a trip. I dont flush every day when I'm on a trip. Galvanized trailer is best. Mine is all rusty cause its steel and I pull on gravel. This is my beater boat so I dont really care as much. Everything that is not stainless will corrode and rust unfortunately. I even noticed a couple of pinhole areas of corrosion at the water line from electrolysis I'm guessing. I have a good zinc but still seems to occur. I just patched with layer of aluminum epoxy and seems to work well. If you have a nice boat and want it to stay looking nice then keep it off the salt. If you want to enjoy the salt water and are willing to accept some salt related changes to the boat then go for it.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
Old 10-22-2018, 08:21 AM

Nice to see a family enjoying some fishing off the coast.

Favorite part is your kid laying a beat down bonking - I remember those days when I was a kid !!!!
Old 10-24-2018, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Nice to see a family enjoying some fishing off the coast.

Favorite part is your kid laying a beat down bonking - I remember those days when I was a kid !!!!
Haha... yeah they learn fast. The first few they saw I think they were a little traumatized... then they realized that this was kind of intriguing to introduce a fish to the club.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:06 AM

Awesome trip good to have the family out with you and making the most of your adventure. Dad and I took my boy out to the coast with us this year something he’s never going to forget.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:39 AM

Hey Brandon, because of you I tried bc coastal fishing in this summer,,loved it, and sold my 17 footer and now I can't wait to get my hand on my new kingfisher 2425 Escape in next spring.... you are awesome... btw post some of your halibut fishing videos if you have any...Thanks

Last edited by lonehunter; 10-31-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonehunter View Post
Hey Brandon, because of you I tried bc coastal fishing in this summer,,loved it, and sold my 17 footer and now I can't wait to get my hand on my new kingfisher 2425 Escape in next spring.... you are awesome... btw post some of your halibut fishing videos if you have any...Thanks
Wow, glad you enjoyed your time on the ocean. It really is addicting, I sure love it! That Kingfisher will be awesome out there on the coast! A Kingfisher is my dream boat, but need to win the lottery to afford one, haha.

I haven't caught many halibut as we don't really fish for them. I've caught everyone of them the same way trolling on South bank for salmon with hootchies. I do have my First halibut caught on video. Here is the link for your viewing pleasure. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tkfugono1U

Unfortunately when I caught a 50 pound halibut summer of 2017 with my father in law we didn't have the camera on. That was one awesome long fight on salmon gear and even crazier to get in the net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMX View Post
Awesome trip good to have the family out with you and making the most of your adventure. Dad and I took my boy out to the coast with us this year something he’s never going to forget.
Yeah that's what got me hooked, going with my grandpa a few times when I was young. I was always hoping to get back out there and now living on the coast is a dream come true!

Old 11-12-2018, 09:03 AM

I saw some crazy people last year on the Island, 4 people in a shallow 14 ft aluminum with a 15 hp going out. WOW ! That would be nuts if the wind and waves picked up. They were crossing over to another island to fish a little north of Comox. Aprox a mile or 2 to the other island.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:17 PM

I fished by myself in 19ft Boston Whalers w/30hp Yamahas on them, for the most part, I like them a lot. There was one day off Odland Point out from Rivers Inlet, that some tall rollers came in, that made me wonder though. Being on my own in the back end of that boat, not much if any weight in the front, and going up and over the tops of those waves was a bit spooky. There were a few hard slaps on the back side going down and they were getting pretty steep for an angled course over them. There were a few times when I wondered how much steeper that boat could handle straight or angled. Just glad those waves weren't breaking on top. There was next to no wind involved, those were coming in from a long ways out there and just came out of nowhere as far as the weather was concerned.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
I fished by myself in 19ft Boston Whalers w/30hp Yamahas on them, for the most part, I like them a lot. There was one day off Odland Point out from Rivers Inlet, that some tall rollers came in, that made me wonder though. Being on my own in the back end of that boat, not much if any weight in the front, and going up and over the tops of those waves was a bit spooky. There were a few hard slaps on the back side going down and they were getting pretty steep for an angled course over them. There were a few times when I wondered how much steeper that boat could handle straight or angled. Just glad those waves weren't breaking on top. There was next to no wind involved, those were coming in from a long ways out there and just came out of nowhere as far as the weather was concerned.
Yeah the big rollers can be crazy. Boat decelerated going up and accelerates down the other side. Wild.