Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-25-2019, 11:30 AM

Default what caliber you choose when you are new

I am getting my PLA soon, and really new to this sport. I am thinking to buy a bolt action rifle for range shooting to start. Wondering which caliber you choose when you were beginners?

thanks in advance.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:41 AM

New shooter and it’s just for the range. 22lr CZ with a clip. Learn to shoot learn the fundamentals get comfortable and accurate. Move onto a 223 same Again learn to shoot it comfortable and accurately in many position and weather. After the 223 if you have the itch to start hunting big game get a 308 based cartridge.
Ex. 243,260,708,308, get comfortable with that rifle then find yourself your firsts deer.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soymilk View Post
I am getting my PLA soon, and really new to this sport. I am thinking to buy a bolt action rifle for range shooting to start. Wondering which caliber you choose when you were beginners?

thanks in advance.
For beginning you can't lose on the .22 cal.. There is a ton of ammo available and it is cheap. There are a wide variety of gun manufacturers out there to choose from.

My first rifle was a Cooey single shot with iron sights. There is a lot of older bolt action single shots and repeating ones as well. Personally I would shy from the semi-autos until you refine your shooting skills and handling.

As for selecting a center-fire hunting rifle; try to shoot a number of rifles/calibers first.

You can't beat the big four: 243, 308, 30-06, 270 for a good selection of over the counter ammo, availability and rifle makers.

There are a ton of knowledgeable people here on AO and "search" for your answers, you will read a lot.
Good luck,

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:51 AM

As has already been said the 22LR. It is typically the rifle you will shoot the most and nice and inexpensive to learn on. Work up to other calibers when you are ready like Graybeard said. I have gone through many calibers but will always have a 22LR, last summer ii put close to 10,000 rounds through mine. Fun! Fun! Fun! Good luck & enjoy!!

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 11-25-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
For beginning you can't lose on the .22 cal.. There is a ton of ammo available and it is cheap. There are a wide variety of gun manufacturers out there to choose from.

My first rifle was a Cooey single shot with iron sights. There is a lot of older bolt action single shots and repeating ones as well. Personally I would shy from the semi-autos until you refine your shooting skills and handling.

As for selecting a center-fire hunting rifle; try to shoot a number of rifles/calibers first.

You can't beat the big four: 243, 308, 30-06, 270 for a good selection of over the counter ammo, availability and rifle makers.

There are a ton of knowledgeable people here on AO and "search" for your answers, you will read a lot.
Good luck,

Thanks, I am reading these old posts now, really helpful.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:28 PM

It starts and stops with "the" 270

Now having said that I load for 17.calibres, I like 243, 25/06 and my big gun is a 375 H&H
Old 11-25-2019, 02:13 PM

I agree with the .22. For a centerfire, IMO the only really good reason not to go with one of the "big three" (.308, .270, 30-06) is if you cant take the recoil (no shame in this, better to admit it than develop a flinch). In that case a 7-08 or 6.5x55 would be a good option.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:14 PM

I also suggest a bolt action 22LR for a first (and possibly even only) rifle.
(Some suggest a 22LR and a 12ga are all you need)

IMHO,
single shot is fine, and a DBM magazine repeater also works,
(but avoid semi-auto and/or tube mags)
MUST be D&T for a top mount Picatinny rail.
(check the EGW website for P-rail availability)
It should also have a full sized stock that fits you well, or can be adjusted.

A high quality, good condition, used target rifle is ideal, (IF receiver top is D&T).

Mount a P-rail, and any inexpensive fixed or variable scope using Weaver tip-off type rings.

Shoot lots of PAPER targets from all positions and ranges.
Discover the abilities and limitations of your scope.
Buy better scope with greater magnification and target turrets and graduated reticle,.
mount scope using Weaver type tip-off rings, but
keep your old scope (with TO rings) as a spare.
Shoot lots of paper targets at longer ranges and higher winds.
When opportunity occurs,
buy a common, inexpensive, used, D&T, CF rifle in a 308Win (or derived cartridge),
mount a 20moa P-rail.
Share your best performing scope(s) with both rifles.
Learn to exchange scopes, adjust & verify in 2 shots.
Learn to properly clean your bores.
Learn to properly hand-load custom ammo.
Buy better scope with greater magnification and target turrets and graduated reticle.
Upgrade your 22LR P-rail to 20moa (or more, depending on scope vertical range of turret adjustment)

Good Luck and welcome to the affliction. YMMV.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:37 PM

404 Jeffery, only rifle you’ll ever need easy tracking few wounded animals great for anything in North America and Gutting and skinning will be a breeze you’ll love it.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
I also suggest a bolt action 22LR for a first (and possibly even only) rifle.
(Some suggest a 22LR and a 12ga are all you need)

IMHO,
single shot is fine, and a DBM magazine repeater also works,
(but avoid semi-auto and/or tube mags)
MUST be D&T for a top mount Picatinny rail.
(check the EGW website for P-rail availability)
It should also have a full sized stock that fits you well, or can be adjusted.

A high quality, good condition, used target rifle is ideal, (IF receiver top is D&T).

Mount a P-rail, and any inexpensive fixed or variable scope using Weaver tip-off type rings.

Shoot lots of PAPER targets from all positions and ranges.
Discover the abilities and limitations of your scope.
Buy better scope with greater magnification and target turrets and graduated reticle,.
mount scope using Weaver type tip-off rings, but
keep your old scope (with TO rings) as a spare.
Shoot lots of paper targets at longer ranges and higher winds.
When opportunity occurs,
buy a common, inexpensive, used, D&T, CF rifle in a 308Win (or derived cartridge),
mount a 20moa P-rail.
Share your best performing scope(s) with both rifles.
Learn to exchange scopes, adjust & verify in 2 shots.
Learn to properly clean your bores.
Learn to properly hand-load custom ammo.
Buy better scope with greater magnification and target turrets and graduated reticle.
Upgrade your 22LR P-rail to 20moa (or more, depending on scope vertical range of turret adjustment)

Good Luck and welcome to the affliction. YMMV.

thanks for the all tutorial.

what's the reason a semi auto rifle is not good for practice? I just took a look of Ruger® 10/22® Stainless Synthetic Semi-Auto Rifle, it looks like not much different from a bolt action long rifle.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:10 PM

10/22s are tons of fun, as are Rem 597 etc, but not as accurate for range work as a bolt action, like the Savage Mark 2 FV heavy barrel etc.
Moving up to longer range work you can’t beat the ammo cost of a .223. I live 5 feet from an 800 yard range, and the 223 sees a lot of fun times.
Move up bigger for hunting or long range (over 300 yard) accuracy.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:36 PM

I love my 10/22! But with the semis there is more to think about as a new shooter. Like when you shoot there is automatically another round chambered and the rifle is cocked and ready to fire. Just something else to think about.
Good luck!

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 11-25-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
thanks for the all tutorial.

what's the reason a semi auto rifle is not good for practice? I just took a look of Ruger® 10/22® Stainless Synthetic Semi-Auto Rifle, it looks like not much different from a bolt action long rifle.
When you only have one shot, it is the only shot that matters, and requires your full attention and concentration.

Bolt actions are simpler, usually more accurate, develop technique and muscle memory of bolt cycling, reduced powder fouling, and eat less.
It is a bit like driver training on a manual transmission develops better basic skills.

I suggest something more like a Ruger Precision Rimfire,
https://ruger.com/products/precisionRimfire/models.html
Savage MKII TR (with Boyds Pro Varmint target stock),
https://www.savagearms.com/content?p...ummary&s=25745
CZ 457 heavy barrel target and varmint models, (with Boyds Pro Varmint or At-One shocks) or the Varmint Precision Trainer.
https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-457-va...-trainer-camo/
or a used single shot Anschutz 190 (or CIL 190 clone).

IIRC, the Ruger and MKII TR are priced similarly as a used Anschutz 190. I suspect a gently used Anschutz will best hold value or appreciate, AND will likely be the most accurate and have by far the nicer trigger, as well as a very nice target stock.

I have fired a Russian biathlon rifle that was very accurate, a LOT of fun, and a lot cheaper than a new Anschutz.

Ask yourself, do you want to learn to shoot, or make noise?

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:53 PM

I’d suggest a bolt action .22 first off as well. Especially over a semi, semi autos can get a little carried away and start teaching bad habits so to say. Spend more time reloading magazines then working on fundamentals. Then for your second rifle, working your way up I’d suggest a .243, can shoot any varmint with it, but also hunt big game very successfully. Doesn’t have to be a heavy barrel either, a regular spotter style rifle is more enjoyable when you can carry it around for long hunts. From there you can work your way up higher as your skills and priority builds, your technique will be down to not develop a flinch or bad habits. Then you can go to 30-06 or magnums, short magnums. By this point you’ll be bit by the bug and own a few more rifles and maybe even reload in your future. Welcome to the hobby and love of the outdoors, don’t forget to share what you end up getting.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:43 PM

Buy a CZ .22 (More money then the cheaper ones but worth it)...Then find a guy.... who has a lot of rifles go with them to the range... learn...try a bunch of rifles ...figure out your tolerance for recoil..back off one step ...and shoot till it feels like an old friend...
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:09 AM

Lots of good advise here.

A good 22LR is an absolute must.
Inexpensive ammo and zero recoil.

For a center fire rifle, I would suggest you go to several of your local sporting goods shops and fondle every single rifle on the rack. Really make the sales guy work! You are looking for a rifle that fits good and feels natural. Once you have one or two that you like, use your Google foo and read as many online reviews as you can and use that to guide your final choice.

Centerfire cartridge is easy.... 6.5 Creedmore!!
Very light recoil, great variety and support in ammo and rifles.
100% capable of cleanly harvesting any game in Alberta
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 11-30-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:

thanks in advance.

Buy a quality 30-06 and optics, shoot it a lot, shoot everything with it.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:45 PM

280 Remington all the way, can handle anything in Alberta.
Hand loaders dream!

Tags
beginner, rifle